11.75 vs. 11.8

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this is likely silly, but thanks in advance for humoring me

besides .05mm, is there a difference between 11.75 and 11.8 diameter shafts?

predator pushes 11.8- is that because they seek to differentiate themselves in the marketplace?

or is there any other reasonable reason to go up to 11.8 from 11.75..?

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
about .05 which is negligible

maybe .10 to .125 might be the threshold of noticeable. Not meaningful

.025 could be meaningful for some I’d guess. I can tell the difference at .025 I’m guessing but wouldn’t matter.

thats just me after 35 years of experience-your results may vary. Hard to say.

best
Fatboy

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Their is a measurable difference.
I doubt you could feel the difference and if all other factors were equal then the shafts would play the same.

I think the difference in size is a result of either the blank shafts as they are supplied or the process Predator uses to complete them.
I dont think they made them that size just to be different.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes it's silly .05mm want make any difference at all. When it comes to arguments from big production companies, I would be inherently sceptical. The claims made by the big brands is a source for much of the confusion about equipment. Even though cues are made with different woods, plastics and so they are still more similar than manufacturers wants to admit, it's still a 58-60" long stick of wood or carbon fibre weighing about 19oz/500g. I don't see those facts change in the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
CF is relatively dimensionally stable. If you've ever used a wooden shaft in your life, just taking it to the pool hall, you will have experienced the shaft changing .05mm from temp change alone. I bet you never noticed that before, but that's because .05mm is too small to really perceive without precision instruments.