13mm shaft feel vs. Carbon

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
It's been awhile since I played a lot due to Covid, but I've been back to playing some recently. Yesterday I broke out
one of my 13mm short taper shafts and it felt great and superior to any of the LD's I've played with to wit I have a question.

Has anyone found a Carbon Fiber that comes close to that feel without the dampening action of a "Defy" being so overwhelming?

terpdad

Registered
It sounds like you want a lot of feedback from your shaft. That isn't really what CF shafts are known for. CF seems to cater to those who like LD &/or low maintenance. If you've found something you like in your 13mm non-LD wood shaft, be happy w/ that & save yourself some money.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have something that works for you, I don’t understand wanting to change. I have tried LD shafts and own one. But my 13 mm short taper shafts are most natural for me. I put a lot of effort into finding those shafts and don’t see a reason to restart that search. Don’t worry, be happy.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
If you have something that works for you, I don’t understand wanting to change. I have tried LD shafts and own one. But my 13 mm short taper shafts are most natural for me. I put a lot of effort into finding those shafts and don’t see a reason to restart that search. Don’t worry, be happy.

I was playing with 12.80 long pro taper wood shafts and they played great but I noticed they didn't hit near as well as 13mm shafts. So I decided to try Ld's and I own Jacoby Hybrids and a few others that I found used and reasonable. With a year off my stroke has suffered until I get back up to speed, so I put the training wheels back on with the 13mm shaft. I may stick with that for awhile sure enough. The thick shaft has a feel I haven't had in some time with Ld's. I played with a Defy a few days and it wore me out but I heard what you said and I may do that for awhile. When I'm playing good the thinner shafts seem to work well but don't hit as good.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Carbon fiber shafts are stone dead.

Mezz' offering is the best of the bunch I've tried, even so it can't beat the near "musical" feedback of a high ringcount, perfectly tapered maple shaft. The ones that sing when you hit the ball well. Maybe technology can improve to the point of making the carbon shafts hit better in a few years, but it's looking pretty bleak and the problem of dead feedback is spread across the board. There may be an inherent problem of the material itself, and not merely the implementation.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love maple shafts- I once tried the best CF shaft out there- I STILL love maple shafts- next week I will be putting for sale what is considered the best CF cue and shaft combination - it is brand new in the box- Cynergy True- wood with CF shaft- I just got it in a trade this week- I only opened the box to be sure it is all there and brand new and it is- I will stay with my all wood cues-

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Awesome post Dude. I think you hit the nail on the head when you addressed the harmonics.
A lot of the old players played with hefty shafted cues. The 13mm shaft with good wood produces
a feel that is all its own.

Mezz' offering is the best of the bunch I've tried, even so it can't beat the near "musical" feedback of a high ringcount, perfectly tapered maple shaft. The ones that sing when you hit the ball well. Maybe technology can improve to the point of making the carbon shafts hit better in a few years, but it's looking pretty bleak and the problem of dead feedback is spread across the board. There may be an inherent problem of the material itself, and not merely the implementation.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I wish my cue sounded like the xylophone noises skeletons made in old cartoons. I have no idea how to make it happen but I wish I did.

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
My Schon/Revo 12.9 with hard Triangle tip give about as much feedback as you could ever hope for. Very powerful. I dink the cueball around the table with ease!

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of people feel that Cuetec Cynergy has the most "feel" or it's closest to wood. For me all that doesn't matter so I play with the lowest deflection shaft I could get.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have recently switched back to a Mezz wood shaft after playing with a Mezz carbon fiber shaft for the past 2 years. So far I’m extremely pleased with the results. Ease of maintenance was never a factor for me.

The feel / feedback of a wood shaft means far more to me than the lower deflection. I’ve found I actually prefer a little more deflection, likely since I’ve learned to compensate for deflection my entire pool playing life, until these last 2 years.

Last edited:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
What does “short taper” mean?

pj
chgo

In this case it means stock Schon shafts. If I remember correctly they use an 8 in taper. I haven't really looked at it closely in awhile
but they are very different from my 12.80 maple shafts with a 15 inch taper which I used yesterday which also hit great.
My next magical trick is to re compare them to the Jacoby Hybrids to see how far of a deviation in hit and feel there is. Some of the
LD's in my stock have hard tips which don't work well for the hit at all in my opinion.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have two Schon's now, and 2 Jacoby Ultra wood shafts, and one Jacoby 12.7 carbon for them. First bought a Jacoby Ultra when I had my 1st Schon and really liked it. When my wife stole that Schon from me and told me to buy another, I was going to order another Ultra right away, but had a chance to try out their carbon shaft out at a state tournament and ordered that in a 12.7mm as it matched up with the ultra wood, instead. After getting the carbon shaft and playing with it for a few weeks, I ordered another Ultra wood shaft. I just had a hard time adjusting to it. The hit was very similar once the tip broke in, seemed to have a little more action with the carbon, incredibly smooth and slick with the carbon, yet I just was not adjusting to it. I have let 3 other players play some with my Jacoby carbon and they absolutely love it, so it's probably just me and I still do practice with it now and then and sometimes play great, and sometimes the ball takes off line for me. I'm sure it's just lack of concertation on my part. It also seems like a lighter feeling in the front than the Ultra wood shaft. I really like the Ultra wood shaft, although it has a much different hit than a stock Shon shaft. Just for grins awhile back, I turned a stock Schon shaft down to 12.6mm at the tip, but left a fairly fast taper on it similar to the stock shaft. Even though the tip is smaller, the shaft actually feels better in my hand than the Ultra as it's actually a little fatter about 6 to 8" back from the tip. I really like this stock shaft as it gives a great feedback, and just is pleasing to shoot. I do shoot better with the Ultra shaft though, but could be because thats what I am most used to, and the Ultra shaft has less deflection than the Schon. Also as to the hit on a Ultra, I am using Ultraskin Fire medium tips and like that tip alot, tried the black softs, but like the Fire mediums better. May try a black medium at some point on one of the two shafts to compare.

Last edited:

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Wish I had the answer. I switched to CF after one of my customs got knocked down and damaged by some oblivious fool at the hall a couple weeks after it returned to me from Proficient, having been refinished. I'm done risking my unique, hand-crafted cues when I can buy an off-the-shelf machine-made, easily replaceable cue. The CF was my first LD shaft as well so my game has remained the same or come up a bit but I sure miss being able to jump and masse with my playing cue. I can't get the Revo to do much once it's elevated.