14.1 rule I should know

gerard soriano

HIGH RUN STILL TO COME !
Silver Member
Cue ball is in the rack, last ball on the table is in the kitchen. Cue ball spots .
Can I shoot backwards away from the rack?
I believe i can but not 100% sure

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cue ball is in the rack, last ball on the table is in the kitchen. Cue ball spots .
Can I shoot backwards away from the rack?
I believe i can but not 100% sure
Assuming the object ball behind the line does not obstruct the head spot, the cue ball is placed on the head spot. You can shoot at the ball behind the line.

(It would make no sense to force a spotting of the cue ball if you were not permitted to shoot at the ball in the kitchen. You would just get a normal ball in hand.)

gerard soriano

HIGH RUN STILL TO COME !
Silver Member
Of coarse the ball in the kitchen can not obstruct the cue ball ,the only question was can it be shot backwards ! I know it would make no sense to place the cue ball on the spot if I couldn't shoot the ball

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of coarse the ball in the kitchen can not obstruct the cue ball ,the only question was can it be shot backwards ! I know it would make no sense to place the cue ball on the spot if I couldn't shoot the ball
Yes. I've done it on purpose a number of times. Works fairly well as a breakshot when last ball is a quarter inch or so off the headrail and a few inches from the pocket.
Say you get straight on the 14th ball in the rack. Instead of drawing out with sidespin to get down table with a good angle just stop in the rack and you're guaranteed the correct angle.
Doubt many people are aware of this nowadays.

robertod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, new situation. On the 14th ball the player misses the shot and pockets the cue ball. Now BIH and the 14th and 15th balls are both in the kitchen behind the head string. Assuming the incoming player cannot shoot directly at the 2 balls and must cross the head string first, can he take an intentional foul by pocketing the cue ball? Therefore putting his opponent in the same predicament playing with one foul already? Or is this un-sportsmanship type of play?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ok, new situation. On the 14th ball the player misses the shot and pockets the cue ball. Now BIH and the 14th and 15th balls are both in the kitchen behind the head string. Assuming the incoming player cannot shoot directly at the 2 balls and must cross the head string first, can he take an intentional foul by pocketing the cue ball? Therefore putting his opponent in the same predicament playing with one foul already? Or is this un-sportsmanship type of play?
doesnt the ball closest to the head string spot up in that situation?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When all object balls are in the kitchen and the cue ball is in hand, the player has the option of spotting the ball that is closest to the headstring. You could shoot the scratch instead, but then the incoming player could have a ball spotted. I suppose that would be a good move if he was lousy at spot shots.

It is not unsportsmanlike to shoot a scratch. With ball in hand, it is unsportsmanlike to play directly on a ball in the kitchen. Here's the rule:

6.11 Bad Play from Behind the Head String​

When the cue ball is in hand behind the head string, and the first ball the cue ball contacts is also behind the head string, the shot is a foul unless the cue ball crosses the head string before that contact. If such a shot is intentional, it is unsportsmanlike conduct. The cue ball must either cross the head string or contact a ball in front of or on the head string or the shot is a foul, and the cue ball is in hand for the following player according to the rules of the specific game. If such shot is intentional, it is also unsportsmanlike conduct.

Reactions: bbb

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
doesnt the ball closest to the head string spot up in that situation?
When all object balls are in the kitchen and the cue ball is in hand, the player has the option of spotting the ball that is closest to the headstring. You could shoot the scratch instead, but then the incoming player could have a ball spotted. I suppose that would be a good move if he was lousy at spot shots.

It is not unsportsmanlike to shoot a scratch. With ball in hand, it is unsportsmanlike to play directly on a ball in the kitchen. Here's the rule:

6.11 Bad Play from Behind the Head String​

When the cue ball is in hand behind the head string, and the first ball the cue ball contacts is also behind the head string, the shot is a foul unless the cue ball crosses the head string before that contact. If such a shot is intentional, it is unsportsmanlike conduct. The cue ball must either cross the head string or contact a ball in front of or on the head string or the shot is a foul, and the cue ball is in hand for the following player according to the rules of the specific game. If such shot is intentional, it is also unsportsmanlike conduct.
i guess i remembered correctly