1926 Brunswick Conqueror 10’ x 5’ Fully Restored, Sequoia Billiards

Timkrieger

Rafael at Sequoia Billiards in Redwood City California completed a full restoration for me on this all original 10 x 5 Brunswick Conqueror with ball return, probably the most beautiful super jumbo table made prior to the Great Depression. I put Simonis 860 in olive green, I think it compliments the walnut. Table was originally in the Catskills in a private family vacation home and eventually bought by the Luden family at an estate sale in the early 60’s who then had the table for nearly 60 years. From NY to Ohio then Kansas and finally to California. Table was always on my wishlist since I first saw one when I toured Hearst Castle in California as a kid. William Randolph Hearst had 2 Conqueror tables, a 10’ pocket billiards and a 10’ carom in the same room. I love the restoration artisans like Rafael at Sequoia Billiards that keep these pieces of American cultural history alive. Here’s a few pictures of before and after.

Attachments

• IMG_2207.jpeg
    IMG_2207.jpeg
    122.5 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_0793.jpeg
    IMG_0793.jpeg
    229.4 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0794.jpeg
    IMG_0794.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 148
  • 679439195.jpeg
    679439195.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 149
  • 679439112.jpeg
    679439112.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_2206.jpeg
    IMG_2206.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0788.jpeg
    IMG_0788.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0795.jpeg
    IMG_0795.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0798.jpeg
    IMG_0798.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0799.jpeg
    IMG_0799.jpeg
    200.6 KB · Views: 226

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Outstanding table! I really love these. it seems like not long ago there was an all original in great condition on eBay with convertible rails. I had no idea this was the same table that was at San Simeon. Thanks for sharing.

Timkrieger

Outstanding table! I really love these. it seems like not long ago there was an all original in great condition on eBay with convertible rails. I had no idea this was the same table that was at San Simeon. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks! Yes, we toured Hearst Castle a few years back and when we got to the billiard room my wife said “that’s the ugliest pool table I’ve seen, can’t believe you’d want that table!” 😂 Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

Here’s a few more pics of Hearst Castle. Hearst had the billiard and the pocket billiard table, 2- 5x10’s.

Attachments

• IMG_0806.jpeg
    IMG_0806.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0804.jpeg
    IMG_0804.jpeg
    199.2 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0802.jpeg
    IMG_0802.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0805.jpeg
    IMG_0805.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0803.jpeg
    IMG_0803.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0808.jpeg
    IMG_0808.jpeg
    230.2 KB · Views: 119

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rafael at Sequoia Billiards in Redwood City California completed a full restoration for me on this all original 10 x 5 Brunswick Conqueror with ball return, probably the most beautiful super jumbo table made prior to the Great Depression. I put Simonis 860 in olive green, I think it compliments the walnut. Table was originally in the Catskills in a private family vacation home and eventually bought by the Luden family at an estate sale in the early 60’s who then had the table for nearly 60 years. From NY to Ohio then Kansas and finally to California. Table was always on my wishlist since I first saw one when I toured Hearst Castle in California as a kid. William Randolph Hearst had 2 Conqueror tables, a 10’ pocket billiards and a 10’ carom in the same room. I love the restoration artisans like Rafael at Sequoia Billiards that keep these pieces of American cultural history alive. Here’s a few pictures of before and after.
Gorgeous!!
Congratulations!!👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

tomatoshooter

Thanks! Yes, we toured Hearst Castle a few years back and when we got to the billiard room my wife said “that’s the ugliest pool table I’ve seen, can’t believe you’d want that table!” 😂 Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

Here’s a few more pics of Hearst Castle. Hearst had the billiard and the pocket billiard table, 2- 5x10’s.
That's even better than Jackie Gleason's pool room.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Yeah 3 piece slate, as I understand, the 10 x 5 always came with 1.5” thick slate option, it’s probably 400 lbs for each of the 3 pieces. The balls just roll silent on the thick slate.

Great table. Do you know the original pocket sizes? What did you put them at in the restoration?

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah 3 piece slate, as I understand, the 10 x 5 always came with 1.5” thick slate option, it’s probably 400 lbs for each of the 3 pieces. The balls just roll silent on the thick slate.
I think that would be one of those jumbos weighing in at around 2700 lbs. I think this table will grow on your wife. My first impression of these wasn’t nearly as good as the other better known tables like the Kling, Arcade etc., but the more I look at these the more I like them. I get the feeling these were the Cadillac of tables for the time period, and with good reason.

Timkrieger

Great table. Do you know the original pocket sizes? What did you put them at in the restoration?
Just under 5” in the corners, I think I didn’t communicate that I wanted 4.5” corners well, got overlooked in the restoration, but no complaints at all. This table is purely recreational, for the small pleasure of watching the ball roll perfectly around the 10 x 5 surface. 😂