2 completely different OB1+ shafts?

mel_smOg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got an OB cue with 2 shafts. Both OB1+

The shafts are very different from one another- on the left it is darker, shorter collar, shorter and different ferrule from the other one. And of course the logo positioning

They even play differently. The left one is soft as OB1+ should be and the right one is crisp(closer to OB classic!!- which is pretty cool actually

How is it possible guys?

Attachments

• IMG_2109.jpg
    IMG_2109.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 680
  • IMG_2110.jpg
    IMG_2110.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 669
  • IMG_2111.jpg
    IMG_2111.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 674

Marky Mark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the one with thinner ferrule bands is authenic then I would say I am not surprised by this. Not impressed by their quality lately. Below is a good example...I bought a Speed break shaft from Nielsen’s & received it a few days before my overseas trip. I was very disappointed with how the brand new shaft looked. I could not return it because I was leaving for my trip so I’m forced to use it now.

Attachments

• 9511F53E-E5D8-4A16-8CC4-5FE1F8D938BD.jpg
    9511F53E-E5D8-4A16-8CC4-5FE1F8D938BD.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 641

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow

That shaft looks like glue running out of ferrule on 2 the shaft.

Think the great Dale Perry they say he help them cut corners.
After they let the founder of the company wife go, I decided I never buy
anything from OB.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never - since year one of OB - had good luck with them.
For me they have been very inconsistent, wobbly, poor workmanship,
tacky shafts, badly installed tips, uneven joints, glue lines all about etc etc.
This was in their prime.
OB has been going down even further lately.
Now it's about how sharp can our points get without having to actually
make the points in hands and getting as many of those digital butt vibrators
out the door as possible.....at a waaayyyy exuberant price to boot.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had nothing but good luck with OB. Most of my shafts don't match color wise. But that's no big deal to me. They all play the same to me. It doesn't matter which one of my 4 shafts I use.

My OB-2's play different than my OB Pros. But they way the construct the shafts. I don't expect them to ever match.

stix_n_stones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OB quality control

I am a huge fan of OB products and have owned over a dozen of their cues / shafts over the years. In my opinion even during the Royce years quality control has probably been one their biggest challenges. I hate to admit it but this seems to be getting worse as time goes on.

Coming from a manufacturing background myself I am aware that quality and consistency is tough to maintain as there are so many factors that contribute such as raw material, personnel, machine setup etc. I love to see North American based companies succeed and hope OB can get a handle on this.

For what it's worth my favorite shaft they have made is the original OB Pro and of these I have owned my current player is one that was incorrectly made to 11.85mm instead of the spec'd 11.75mm. Slightly heavier and I really like the way it plays.

longhorns2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not to pile on, but I had a bad experience with them. I had a shaft turned down to near their limit and the ferrule kept chipping. After the second time it chipped, they said they couldn't replace it because it was well below their turndown limit. I said that's bs because I haven't touched it with anything and told them to keep everything how it is and I'd pick it up and had to get threatening. They eventually replaced it and sure enough it chipped again. I didn't even try to replace again.

And I kept asking them if it was because it was a wooden ferrule near their turndown limit and they kept saying no. Also the black band next to the start of the ferrule had a slight indentation from the beginning.

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If they have quality control issues they should really get a Black Belt Six Sigma consultant to help them out. It's expensive but worth it most of the time.

tbayplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OB cues and shafts play great, I'm a fan. That's the reason I use them.

I own 3 OB cues and about 12 shafts, I'm not a fan of these issues I've come across. None of the shafts have been modified or turned down.

-The ferrule material is very porous and a chalk magnet
-glue lines under the ferrule
-stock from the factory the shafts are very rough feeling
-sugar marks, that if it were another company I.e. Jacoby, predator..it would be a factory second
-straightness of shafts even from new, shipped direct from OB or a dealer
-cue butt finish incomplete towards the end of the butt cap, plus a lot of chipping. That had got better at the radius of the butt cap has changed, not so flat
-broken shaft threads from factory
-OB shipping cues and shafts to companies like Seyberts, Nielson Billiards and they have all these issues
- 1 shaft I have has a ridge 3 inches from the ferrule like it has been cut to a different taper

Last edited:

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That shaft looks like glue running out of ferrule on 2 the shaft.

Think the great Dale Perry they say he help them cut corners.
After they let the founder of the company wife go, I decided I never buy
anything from OB.

:frown:

Well no...shit was bad way before Dale Perry went there to visit.

At least with Dale Perry, all the shafts are interchangeable and Dale's cues have less defects.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would contact OB. Let them swap the shaft that you don't like out for another. One shaft might be from older stock.