2 Questions

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
First, since Olive Trees grow to maturity in 15 years, is Olive wood really dense enough to use in cues?

Second question is, do Ebony cues have a tendency to show up smears, smudges, or cracks in the finish coat more so than other types of wood?

I had a Huebler cue that was black with red veneers, don't really know if it was Ebony or dyed Maple, but it showed up every little thing in it's finish.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
olive wood

is only 2nd to snakewood for me as being the hardest wood to work. i have tried to use it a few times and all i got was a bag full of cracks.

Last edited:

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
African olivewood is dense and supposed to be more stable/suitable than olivewood from Europe.

Kelly

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What little Olivewood I have tried wiggled like it was dancing when turned. I would even consider using it unless it was cored. Yes Ebony shows every flaw in the finish.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Olivewood

I've had some sucess with the African Olive wood. I credit the particular pieces that I've collected over the years.

Mario

Russell Cues

Maverick Cue Builder
Silver Member
What little Olivewood I have tried wiggled like it was dancing when turned. I would even consider using it unless it was cored. Yes Ebony shows every flaw in the finish.

I second that ! I tried olive wood twice, and well there are to many other woods that dont do the "charleston" while turning lol