2026 WPA Predator Men's World 10 Ball Saigon

My own preferences are the opposite of yours here.

The biggest events with the most prize money should have the longest races. World 9b used to be race to 17. Wu and Alex (just to pick two that spring to mind) both would have lost if you’d stopped the match earlier - ignoring whether the opponent might have tightened up earlier. As the players get better and we see more packages, I like giving longer for the players to fade a few ups and downs.

So for me, I like stepping up the races as we get to the last stages of the major events. 9 for preliminary rounds, 10 for knockout rounds, 11 for 1/4 finals, 13 for semis and 15 for finals would be great from my perspective, but I can live with race to 13 for a major final.

I don’t like sets, with a shootout, especially for a world championship. But if you’re going to do them, 2 out of 3 is way too short for a world championship, IMO. 3 out of 5 is long (especially with breaks between each set) but I don’t have a better option if you’re going to do sets. Actually, I guess you could keep it 2 of 3 sets but make each set longer - like going to 6 each set, but I suspect that would be more confusing to spectators than just extending the number of sets.
You're speaking my language.
 
This is was my first time watching Zhu Qing Bi play, she has a nice (and somewhat unconventional) stroke. I could see her going deep in this event.
 
My own preferences are the opposite of yours here.

The biggest events with the most prize money should have the longest races. World 9b used to be race to 17. Wu and Alex (just to pick two that spring to mind) both would have lost if you’d stopped the match earlier - ignoring whether the opponent might have tightened up earlier. As the players get better and we see more packages, I like giving longer for the players to fade a few ups and downs.

So for me, I like stepping up the races as we get to the last stages of the major events. 9 for preliminary rounds, 10 for knockout rounds, 11 for 1/4 finals, 13 for semis and 15 for finals would be great from my perspective, but I can live with race to 13 for a major final.

I don’t like sets, with a shootout, especially for a world championship. But if you’re going to do them, 2 out of 3 is way too short for a world championship, IMO. 3 out of 5 is long (especially with breaks between each set) but I don’t have a better option if you’re going to do sets. Actually, I guess you could keep it 2 of 3 sets but make each set longer - like going to 6 each set, but I suspect that would be more confusing to spectators than just extending the number of sets.
Not for me to tell you what you should enjoy. I, of course, respect your opinion here.

Still, here on the forum, we often compare pool to the two major individual sports of tennis and golf. Neither of those sports has the same philosophy as pool.

In tennis, at the majors, they don't lengthen the sets when they get to the late rounds and they don't add sets either. At Wimbledon, the first round is best of five sets and so is the final. In golf, they don't add a round or more holes at the majors, either, even though they could. In golf, they play 72 holes at both the Texas Open and the Masters.

Only pool sees the need to lengthen the matches in the late stages of the majors. It's not for me, but to each his own.

For the record, I didn't enjoy the old race to 17 finals at the WPC.
 
Last edited:
Not for me to tell you what you should enjoy. I, of course, respect your opinion here.

Still, here on the forum, we often compare pool to the two major individual sports of tennis and golf. Neither of those sports has the same philosophy as pool.

In tennis, at the majors, they don't lengthen the sets when they get to the late rounds and they don't add sets either. At Wimbledon, the first round is best of five sets and so is the final. In golf, they don't add a round or more holes at the majors, either, even though they could. In golf, they play 72 holes at both the Texas Open and the Masters.

Only pool sees the need to lengthen the matches in the late stages of the majors. It's not for me, but to each his own.

For the record, I didn't enjoy the old race to 17 finals at the WPC.

What's the history of the race length? Could it be the beginning stages are actually shortened for time as opposed to lengthening them in the later stages. I prefer a bit longer race; however, I will fully admit I do not have the patience to watch a live stream online. I will wait until it's at least halfway through, or more, and then start watching it, that way, I can zip past the boring parts.
 
Not for me to tell you what you should enjoy. I, of course, respect your opinion here.

Still, here on the forum, we often compare pool to the two major individual sports of tennis and golf. Neither of those sports has the same philosophy as pool.

In tennis, at the majors, they don't lengthen the sets when they get to the late rounds and they don't add sets either. At Wimbledon, the first round is best of five sets and so is the final. In golf, they don't add a round or more holes at the majors, either, even though they could. In golf, they play 72 holes at both the Texas Open and the Masters.

Only pool sees the need to lengthen the matches in the late stages of the majors. It's not for me, but to each his own.

For the record, I didn't enjoy the old race to 17 finals at the WPC.

Yeah, I agree that it’s personal preference.

But to address the points you make, in tennis a normal tournament is best of 3, the majors are best of 5. They also had a different approach to 6-6 in the 5th set (at least at Wimbledon). US Open Golf plays a full extra round if tied after regulation.

For pool, I think a WC should at least be 5 sets (I’d be fine with it throughout the tournament).


I am also influenced by snooker, where bigger tournaments are longer races and increase in length as you go deeper. The snooker World Championships is a best of 35 (race to 18) (played in 4 sessions over 2 days). It’s a marathon for sure, but probably why the greatest players win so many of them (Ronnie 7, Hendry 7, Davis 6, Reardon 6, Selby 4, Higgins 4).
 
  • Love
Reactions: sjm
My own preferences are the opposite of yours here.

The biggest events with the most prize money should have the longest races. World 9b used to be race to 17. Wu and Alex (just to pick two that spring to mind) both would have lost if you’d stopped the match earlier - ignoring whether the opponent might have tightened up earlier. As the players get better and we see more packages, I like giving longer for the players to fade a few ups and downs.

So for me, I like stepping up the races as we get to the last stages of the major events. 9 for preliminary rounds, 10 for knockout rounds, 11 for 1/4 finals, 13 for semis and 15 for finals would be great from my perspective, but I can live with race to 13 for a major final.

I don’t like sets, with a shootout, especially for a world championship. But if you’re going to do them, 2 out of 3 is way too short for a world championship, IMO. 3 out of 5 is long (especially with breaks between each set) but I don’t have a better option if you’re going to do sets. Actually, I guess you could keep it 2 of 3 sets but make each set longer - like going to 6 each set, but I suspect that would be more confusing to spectators than just extending the number of sets.
Not for me to tell you what you should enjoy. I, of course, respect your opinion here.

Still, here on the forum, we often compare pool to the two major individual sports of tennis and golf. Neither of those sports has the same philosophy as pool.

In tennis, at the majors, they don't lengthen the sets when they get to the late rounds and they don't add sets either. In golf, they don't add a round or more holes at the majors, either, even though they could.

Only pool sees the need to lengthen the matches in the late stages of the majors. It's not for me, but to each his own.

For the record, I didn't enjoy the old race to 17 finals at the WPC.
Yeah, I agree that it’s personal preference.

But to address the points you make, in tennis a normal tournament is best of 3, the majors are best of 5. They also had a different approach to 6-6 in the 5th set (at least at Wimbledon). US Open Golf plays a full extra round if tied after regulation.

For pool, I think a WC should at least be 5 sets (I’d be fine with it throughout the tournament).


I am also influenced by snooker, where bigger tournaments are longer races and increase in length as you go deeper. The snooker World Championships is a best of 35 (race to 18) (played in 4 sessions over 2 days). It’s a marathon for sure, but probably why the greatest players win so many of them (Ronnie 7, Hendry 7, Davis 6, Reardon 6, Selby 4, Higgins 4).
Yeah, good point about snooker. I'd forgotten. To each his own.
 
Back
Top