3-cushion at Derby City Classic

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There will be two qualifiers for the National 3-Cushion Championships at the Derby City Classic in January (2006). Entries are limited to 24 players total, which will be divided into two 12-player groups and 6-player flights (assuming it fills). Play will be on two Gabriels "Imperator" tables set up in the Executive Inn, which is the expansion hotel for the DCC as it has grown too large for just the Executive West.

If you want to enter, contact Paul Frankel as soon as possible at 901- 756-2594. The first dozen will play Jan 6-8 and the second Jan 9-11. Entry is $110, and there will be over $1000 added. The two winners will get entry to the US 3-C Nationals which will be in Miami in February, 2006.

The two tables will be available for sale after the tournament at the special price of $6,660 each (delivery and set-up are extra). These are 10-foot carom tables with heated slate 2-1/3 inches thick (60mm), steel frame, and Dianite rails. For more info, see:

http://www.gabrielsbilliards.com/english/billiardtables/carom/imperator.htm

The entry list currently includes Bob Byrne and Tom Rossman.
 
That sounds great. I've never had the opportunity to watch a 3 cushion tournament. Deno are you making the trip to the Derby? I want to check out those tables. I heard they are tanks and it sounds like it.
 
I might be down there for a few days. I doubt that I will be able to be there for any of the carom tournaments though (bummer). I think it's great that the Derby City is going to have carom events. The tables they will be played on are fantastic, so it should be a great showing.

Deno
 
Not to sound stupid, but why the heaters on the frames??
________
 
Last edited:
showboat said:
Not to sound stupid, but why the heaters on the frames??
The heaters actually heat the slate, cloth and rubber. This keeps the cloth dry and conditions far more consistent when the room is humid. In general, the table plays "short" when it's humid.
 
Bob Jewett said:
... The entry list currently includes Bob Byrne and Tom Rossman.
Currently entered in addition are Jeanette Lee, George Rood, and Mark Griffin.
 
Hey Bob, do you think these events will be in the evening? I'll be getting in sometime in the afternoon on Wed and I would love to check out some 3C action since I don't see much of it around here.
 
Samiel said:
Hey Bob, do you think these events will be in the evening? I'll be getting in sometime in the afternoon on Wed and I would love to check out some 3C action since I don't see much of it around here.
I think the present schedule has everything finishing by 4PM on Wednesday.
 
Darn! I get in around 3pm, so I'm not sure I'll get a chance to see 3C action at all. Do you think there will be anything going on on those tables later? ...or will you guys be closing shop?
 
Back
Top