3 Foul Rule Eliminated

karambolista

noypi toits
Silver Member
from the USPPA website:

Effective immediately, the 3 foul rule is officially suspended. It will no longer result in loss of game. After the 3rd foul a new game is started and the incoming player will have the break. An X will be marked for the breaking player.

Is this a first or are there other pool organization that has taken out the 3 foul rule on 9-ball

AZE

DeucesCracked Instructor
Silver Member
I believe there is no 3-foul rule in TAP, or in APA (I may be wrong)

blah blah

Shoebat
only thing i can think of as to why they did this: one room here in the sacramento area (not hard times) took away the 3 foul rule just before the last Sands. three fouls, five fouls, didn't matter- it was bih for the opponent, not game. and they found that tourneys went much, much quicker. Much quicker.

the rule was great for this room, which is very small and with a very close- knit clientele. this group tends to play with the same habits in that most shots are met with a single decision- either fly the nine or hide the object ball. (i admit to some exageration there, but not much.) So with the loss of the three foul rule, i can see where the matches would all go much more quickly.

but all tourneys at all locations? And then a rerack of all balls? wth.

i tend to meet most changes with resistance and irritation anyway, but this change just sounds really dumb.

i've been suspecting that the usppa leans very heavily in favor of the weaker players already, but this just seems like too much for the weaker guy. what if you're a 120 playing a 25 or 30 in a race to 8. You have to give away 5 games right off the bat. And now you can't three- foul your opponent, who couldn't kick a barn door. But you do have to win 8 games before your opponent either: makes his expected average 2.5-3 balls per inning during the last three balls, or he flies/ slops/ breaks his 3 nines. i think it's too tough on the better player.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
AZE said:
I believe there is no 3-foul rule in TAP, or in APA (I may be wrong)
You are correct, no three foul in either one.

Along the lines of Texas Express in APA and TAP. TAP plays the closest to it allowing jump cues and pushouts. With APA there are no pushouts and you must use a full cue to jump.

gulfportdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
blah blah said:
i've been suspecting that the usppa leans very heavily in favor of the weaker players already, but this just seems like too much for the weaker guy. what if you're a 120 playing a 25 or 30 in a race to 8. You have to give away 5 games right off the bat. And now you can't three- foul your opponent, who couldn't kick a barn door. But you do have to win 8 games before your opponent either: makes his expected average 2.5-3 balls per inning during the last three balls, or he flies/ slops/ breaks his 3 nines. i think it's too tough on the better player.
You make some good points. On other hand if I'm playing a tough player, I tend to play a little safer to keep him from getting out on me; although it's difficult to 3-foul a good player. If you think USPPA is skewed toward the weaker players, you ought to try the NPL! You can actually have a 9-2 match.:eek:

I do think the suspension of the 3-foul rule will move the games along quicker though. Of course if they'd go back to the old shoot out rule, then they wouldn't have to worry about 3 fouls, and the game would be much less lucky.

Doc

blah blah

Shoebat
Black-Balled said:
'Scuse my unfamiliarity w/ league provisions- what does "X" signify? Loss of game, or just a boo?

well, it's not a league. it's a handicapping system anyone can join in and play.

and the "x" is complicated- it has to do with the handicapping, which is based on scoresheets that record what table situation you encountered every time you started an inning.

"X" means you had an open shot at the ob and a pocket, OR you broke at the very beginning of the match.

"S" means you walked up to the table and could not see your ob, or the ob could not go into any pocket directly (banks don't count as "directly.")

So if you played a race to 4 and your scoresheet showed only 1 "X" and 4 wins, it means you walked up to the table, broke, and ran four racks straight. And your handicap should be through the roof.

...or you encountered 42 "x"s (open shots) and 38 "S"s (safeties) and managed to finally win 4 games. It took hours and you (and you opponent, too) should have a very low handicap.

ashmouth

Registered Offender
I play in the USPPA system and have never been a big fan of the 3 foul rule but this new ruling definitely has some issues...

Take the following for example:
1) I have my opponent on 2 fouls and there is only the 8 and 9 left on the table
2) I hook him behind the 8 ball
3) He intentionally pockets the cue ball for his third foul which means a rerack and I have to break again?

If the USPPA is going to eliminate the 3 foul rule, I would much rather just get ball in hand again after the third foul... fourth foul, and so on... IMO, I do not think all the scenarios were thought through before this new ruling was made.

My two cents...

karambolista

noypi toits
Silver Member
ashmouth said:
I play in the USPPA system and have never been a big fan of the 3 foul rule but this new ruling definitely has some issues...

1) I have my opponent on 2 fouls and there is only the 8 and 9 left on the table
3) He intentionally pockets the cue ball for his third foul which means a rerack and I have to break again?

If the USPPA is going to eliminate the 3 foul rule, I would much rather just get ball in hand again after the third foul... fourth foul, and so on... IMO, I do not think all the scenarios were thought through before this new ruling was made.

My two cents...

Good point.

Maybe you should have the option of getting BIH or a re-rack.

Cuebacca

________
Silver Member
ashmouth said:

My two cents...

That's a great point.

Maybe you only re-rack if you had given the warning on 2-fouls?

Otherwise, in addition to being unfair in the example you gave, it might very well result in an argument as to whether or not the guy really was on two fouls! I can see it now, the player, after you hook him behind the 8 will have to say... Hey, I'm on 2! :D

Seriously though, to keep this rule "fair", it seems like they should add that type of clause. Or, simply give the player the option of taking ball in hand OR the re-rack.

nfty9er

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Am I or all of you people missing something here

ashmouth said:

My two cents...

First how can you hook someone behind the 8 ball, your shooting the 8.
Second if he is on 2 fouls then you had ball in hand on your previous shot, why in heavens name would you try to hook anyone. Your out in that scenario. What were you thinking?
I know it was a trick question.

karambolista

noypi toits
Silver Member
nfty9er said:
First how can you hook someone behind the 8 ball, your shooting the 8.
Second if he is on 2 fouls then you had ball in hand on your previous shot, why in heavens name would you try to hook anyone. Your out in that scenario. What were you thinking?
I know it was a trick question.

It would be an unlikely scenario but it's still possible that the 8 is frozen on the rail and the 9 frozen on the 8 thus leaving no clear path to a pocket for the 8.

nfty9er

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats not the point

karambolista said:
It would be an unlikely scenario but it's still possible that the 8 is frozen on the rail and the 9 frozen on the 8 thus leaving no clear path to a pocket for the 8.
That is one in a million I know that. Explain how you are hooked behind the eight if your shooting the eight? And so if the shooter had ball in hand and given his scenario you would still leave the balls that way and try and hook him? No explanation works, the play is not going to happen. I understand though the rule is stupid since if a guy happens to scratch twice in a row and your opponent does not get out you will have the option of restarting the game by scratching on purpose if you have no shot on the 8.