3 FOUL RULE

SHORTY WRIGHT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone seen any pro match in 8 ball where they can lose with a 3 foul rule … I have never heard of this in 8 ball only 9 ball …

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone seen any pro match in 8 ball where they can lose with a 3 foul rule … I have never heard of this in 8 ball only 9 ball …

Don't think it's a rule in any 8 ball ruleset I know of. But then again, I had no idea that a stalemate was a rule in 9 ball but apparently that exists, so there may be some out of the norm "official" rule that has it in there.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We used the 3 foul rule in BCA league (8-ball and 9-ball) matches.

I only saw 1 game where it was actually ready to be 'called'--and a brilliant strategy to get the guy there.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We used the 3 foul rule in BCA league (8-ball and 9-ball) matches.

I only saw 1 game where it was actually ready to be 'called'--and a brilliant strategy to get the guy there.
Interesting.

There is absolutely no provision in CSI/BCA rules for 3-foul in 8 Ball.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Three fouls at eight ball was a BCA rule for about five years starting in 1980. See the February article in this collection for more info:

Introduced at the same time as three fouls was ball-in-hand-anywhere for a foul. If someone ran off all their set and failed to hit the 8, the best strategy is obvious. And not nice.

To add to the confusion, an optional "last pocket" rule was introduced including a 3-rail kicking option if the 8 ball was hung in a pocket that was not yours. Also at this time, red and yellow sets as opposed to stripes and solids were in use. Evidently the use of LSD hit the rules writers a decade after the flower children of the Haight-Ashbury.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes. Several 8-Ball challenge matches between pros in the last 4 years have had the 3-foul rule in effect. And all 5 of the 8-Ball tournaments in Darren Appleton's World Pool Series in 2017 and 2018 used the 3-foul rule.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
We have a local league (blackball) where the 3-foul rule is in effect, but they differentiate between 2 types of fouls and only 1 type of fouls counts towards the 3-foul rule so it very, very rarely becomes an issue. I don't think I've seen it happen in all my years of league play.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes. I have a tape somewhere. That whole series done in Aspen (Learn from the Best) in the late 80’s. They played no call (slop) 8-ball with the 3-foul rule. Hubbart was one of the players. It also answers the “did professional 8-ball have slop rules.” The answer is “of course.”

The PAPA 8-ball league, which started around the same time as the APA, also had the 3-foul rule. But that was an amateur league. I played that league in 1988.