3 Rails - With The Cue!

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
got back from Super Wal-Mart tonight about 10:30, played till about 12:30, did nothing but rack and break, try to run out. no shot, re-rack. nothing down, re-rack. no chance to run out, re-rack. did this for basically 2 hours to see how i would do. must have racked at least 40 times, if not 50 or 60.

anyway, i only had one really good chance to run out, another pretty difficult chance to run out, and that was, for the most part, about it. this is so frustrating for me, that 99% of the time the balls dont cooperate for me.

at one point tonight when the last ball rolling ended up snookering me, i flung the cue down onto the table. the tip end bounced it down to the other rail, the butt end bounced it back down to the rail, and it came back down to the first rail again. talk about going 3 rails, bet you guys havent ever done that with a cue!

i am at my wits end with this breaking crap. i try everything i know to try, nothing seems to work, 99% of the time its nothing but horrible, horrible rolls and spreads. i am grasping at straws, trying to find something. desperate is not even close to being the word anymore.

now, before anyone says that "YOU DIDNT LISTEN TO MARK WILSON" please understand we didnt hardly talk about the break much when i was there last winter. just for a few minutes, i think i broke 3 times to check the speed on his gun. and of course, didnt have a chance any of those 3 times either.

regards,
DCP

zeeder

Will queue for cues
Silver Member
DrCue'sProtege said:
got back from Super Wal-Mart tonight about 10:30, played till about 12:30, did nothing but rack and break, try to run out. no shot, re-rack. nothing down, re-rack. no chance to run out, re-rack. did this for basically 2 hours to see how i would do. must have racked at least 40 times, if not 50 or 60.

anyway, i only had one really good chance to run out, another pretty difficult chance to run out, and that was, for the most part, about it. this is so frustrating for me, that 99% of the time the balls dont cooperate for me.

at one point tonight when the last ball rolling ended up snookering me, i flung the cue down onto the table. the tip end bounced it down to the other rail, the butt end bounced it back down to the rail, and it came back down to the first rail again. talk about going 3 rails, bet you guys havent ever done that with a cue!

i am at my wits end with this breaking crap. i try everything i know to try, nothing seems to work, 99% of the time its nothing but horrible, horrible rolls and spreads. i am grasping at straws, trying to find something. desperate is not even close to being the word anymore.

now, before anyone says that "YOU DIDNT LISTEN TO MARK WILSON" please understand we didnt hardly talk about the break much when i was there last winter. just for a few minutes, i think i broke 3 times to check the speed on his gun. and of course, didnt have a chance any of those 3 times either.

regards,
DCP

You need to work on kicking, cluster management and defense. There's more to the game (9-ball) than running out from the break! The best pro's only do it about 30% of the time!

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DrCue'sProtege said:

regards,
DCP

I agree with the above. You cannot imagine how many C players I know who can break perfectly yet rarely run out. The break is one shot out of several during the course of the game and rarely does the break actually decide it on the amateur level. From what you've told us about your ability, you should be spending more time focusing on pocketing, position play and strategy over the break. Set your priorities and understand that nothing happens overnight. Rome was not built in a day.

predator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DCP, why don't you at least take a ball in hand after (un)successful break? Try to play the gost? That way, you could actually have some fun while practicing? Majority of those two hours you spent racking the balls and just walking around. Only 60 strokes in two full hours alone at the table...a complete waste of time IMO.

If you're not into drills, why not just toss those 9 balls on the table (easy positions, no clusters) and try to run out with ball in hand? Not as easy as it sounds...

StormHotRod300

BigSexy
Silver Member
Protege

I usta do the same thing for about 30mins to a hour anytime i would practice.

And basically 75% of the time i had a shot on the OB after the break, but wouldnt get the run out, because of a cluster or just having to go length of the table to get to another ball and having to manuver around all the other balls too.

Now when i practice breaking, i mainly work on making a ball and getting position to shoot on the OB.

Worry about winning the game first, and running out next. If you break run 2 or 3 balls, and play a good enough safe, and are able to get the other guy to break up the table, and you can run out, i think thats just as good as a break n run.

LastTwo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DCP you should just snap your cue in half, buy another cue and show it the broken, battered corpse of your old cue and say "now let that be a lesson to you".

Hal

Beer Player
Silver Member
I prefer to rack 6ball and take ball in hand off the break. You end up running a lot of racks and it helps confidence.

lukeinva

Banned
Hal said:
I prefer to rack 6ball and take ball in hand off the break. You end up running a lot of racks and it helps confidence.

I did that in 9ball and ran 6 racks in a row. It was great!! it felt really good I do that for about an hour now when I go to the pool hall to warm up with. Then if someone wants to play I play them. To bad I cant break in one pocket take ball in hand and run out 8!!

Hit Man

<-------GANGSTA'
Silver Member
DrCue'sProtege said:

regards,
DCP

DCP, Try this link.
http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/normal_videos/index.html

There are a couple of videos of how to successfully execute a soft controlled break shot. It's amazing and it's helped me a lot. Whether or not it's for you, you'll just have to see. Keeping in mind it has to be practiced for it to become consistently produtive. Best part about it is that you dont have to use a separate cue to break with because you're not hammering the cue ball.
Theres nothing macho about blasting the rack and watching balls fly around the table, and it's especially frustrating when you do this and nothing goes down or you leave yourself safe for the next shot.
Your break shot is the most important shot of the whole game. Control it, and run the table.
Stay focused and stay down!

Good luck!

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Hit Man said:
DCP, Try this link.
http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/normal_videos/index.html

There are a couple of videos of how to successfully execute a soft controlled break shot. It's amazing and it's helped me a lot. Whether or not it's for you, you'll just have to see. Keeping in mind it has to be practiced for it to become consistently produtive. Best part about it is that you dont have to use a separate cue to break with because you're not hammering the cue ball.
Theres nothing macho about blasting the rack and watching balls fly around the table, and it's especially frustrating when you do this and nothing goes down or you leave yourself safe for the next shot.
Your break shot is the most important shot of the whole game. Control it, and run the table.
Stay focused and stay down!

Good luck!

I couldn't find the breaking video on that page....what am I missing?

Jeff Livingston

StevenPWaldon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't be so frustrated unless you're pro level. The fact is that the game is hard and break-and-runs are fairly elusive for everyone except A+ players.

I was talking to Jim, one of the managers of Hollywood Billiards. He's an A player, with a USPPA rating around 95 or so. I asked him how many times he breaks and runs (either while gambling, practicing, or in tournaments), and he said not often. There are just too many variables. Does he make a shot on the break? Do the balls spread well? Does he have a shot on the low ball?

These are three things that are necessary for a typical break and run, and to have all 3 happen is rare... I'd estimate only 20% of the time would all three factors roll your way. So of every time you break, if my 20% estimate is right you only have runable tables 1 of every 5 games. And *then*, you've got to hope that the balls don't present extremelly difficult shot / position play, because the difficulty of the shots present one more obstacle to break and runs.

So in short, until you're pro-caliber, don't worry so much. I know Jim sure doesn't. Instead, do what he does -- throw out all 9 balls without clusters, and take ball-in-hand for a run out. Within a few racks he can do it, which to me is pretty strong. That at least tells me that when the opportunity presents itself, I know Jim can run a rack pretty consistently. The biggest initial hurdle is getting a few rolls on the break.

Hit Man

<-------GANGSTA'
Silver Member
controlled 9 ball break

chefjeff said:
I couldn't find the breaking video on that page....what am I missing?

Jeff Livingston

Jeff,

Scroll down to chapter7

Chapter 7, NV 7.8

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
The important thing ...

is that from your playing, or just practicing, is that you
learn something everytime you bolt up. You can
eliminate what doesn't work, make a note of what does
work, and pursue it.
Every decent poolplayer has had trouble with their break
at times, and something they might do, but never admit
to is to watch someone that breaks real good, and then
copy that break to see if it works for them. This doesn't
even have to be a player better than yourself.
Some breaking spots and some types of english used
are more advantageous to use than others, you need
to learn what they are. Some people use english on
the break that will deaden the balls instead of enhancing
the rolling of the balls from the rack. Some people might
break good, but never have a shot after the break (maybe
10% of the time) because they don't know how to break,
make a ball, and Control the cue ball.
It's important to have several breaks because one night
a break might be making 3 balls everytime with good cue
ball position, and the next day with the same break, you
might not make a ball.
You have to have good breaking shots, and yet you have
to remain flexible to the situation and the table you are
playing on and your opponent.

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
DrCue'sProtege said:

anyway, i only had one really good chance to run out, another pretty difficult chance to run out, and that was, for the most part, about it. this is so frustrating for me, that 99% of the time the balls don't cooperate for me.

at one point tonight when the last ball rolling ended up snookering me, i flung the cue down onto the table. the tip end bounced it down to the other rail, the butt end bounced it back down to the rail, and it came back down to the first rail again. talk about going 3 rails, bet you guys haven't ever done that with a cue!

now, before anyone says that "YOU DIDNT LISTEN TO MARK WILSON" please understand we didn't hardly talk about the break much when i was there last winter. just for a few minutes, i think i broke 3 times to check the speed on his gun. and of course, didn't have a chance any of those 3 times either.

regards,
DCP

Where did your CB go for those 40+ breaks???
Where did the 1-ball go for those 40+ breaks???

I know you are limited on where you can play.. Some tables are just hard tables to break on..You may have one of those tables..

Do you have a different set of balls to try? Have you tried changing the weight of your break cue?? Sometimes no matter how hard you try the balls just won't rack or break well on a particular table..

The only thing you have full control over is the CB...You have minor control over the 1-ball.

after the first couple breaks you will see a pattern of where the 1-ball is going for your particular break speed and table...Since you know the general area that the 1-ball is headed...Control your CB toward that general area..but make sure you control it away from any pockets.....You may find a few more first shot opportunity's...

Not much you can do for clusters expect hope you can find a break out ball....That's the fun part of the game...If you can run a rack where you break a cluster along the way......That's a crowd pleas-er run out. You should look forward to that... :D :D

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
DrCue'sProtege said:

You are absolutely correct, I have never flung my cue down on the table for any reason. That you did tells me a fair bit about your difficulties. This is no way to behave. Hopefully you have a nice mark or tear in your blue cloth to remind you that loosing your temper causes damage. It obviously damages your pool game.

Dave

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
drivermaker said:
One OAR.....

Cockney guy is in a boat with 2 young women, approaches a dock. Dockworker says, "hand me up those oars and I'll help you dock." The Cockney guy says, "Them's no oars, them's me sisters."

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
Cockney guy is in a boat with 2 young women, approaches a dock. Dockworker says, "hand me up those oars and I'll help you dock." The Cockney guy says, "Them's no oars, them's me sisters."

lol

I figured it out...I was using a tennis racket for an oar, and when I went back to my poolroom, there on the floor was an oar with a cueball imbedded in it. So I take the oar back to the boat, the tennis racket back to the poolroom and, viola!, I'm back in business!

No more missed wing shots for me! :p

Jeff Livingston