31" Shaft options (Jacoby or Meucci CF?)

glfgd82

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good afternoon,

I have a custom made cue by Brent (BHQ) that I recently got reunited with (lost in moving about 10 years ago and my uncle found it in a storage unit). I've just started getting back into playing over the past month and I'm looking at the possibility of getting a new shaft in the low deflection market. The shaft Brent made for the cue is 31.5" long, the overall cue length is 63", with a radial joint. The length works great for me, I love the cue and have no real interest in getting something different at the moment, but after visiting Seyberts yesterday and hitting with the new Predator shafts, a bunch of the carbon fiber options as well as the lucasi zero flex and Jacoby options I'm interested in a new shaft.

It seems the only options for a 31" shaft in a low deflection option seems to be the Jacoby Ultra or the Meucci Carbon. I don't have the money currently to afford either one so it's not an immediate purchase as I've been out of work for over a year due to a heart issue, but I'd like to start saving up for whichever one I decide to go with.

I know comparing wood to CF is apples to oranges, but I'm wondering if the price increase from the Jacoby to the Meucci is worth it or not. I'll try to find both shafts around locally to try out, but I don't know many people in my area so getting someone to just let me test hit their cut might not be easy.

Thank you for your input, again I know it's personal opinion but I'm just wondering if there's a huge jump to justify the price or if the ultra pro will get the job done.

James

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
McDermott has a 31" option for their G-Core shaft, so they might offer other shafts in this length as well?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my opinion, just simpler to go with a 2-inch butt extension than worrying about trying to find a 31-inch shaft, which will be very hard to find.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard good things about Meucci CF but haven't tried it yet, but will be delivered to me within two weeks, I also have tried Jacoby, so I can give you my feedback on the shafts that you specifically asked about in the original post, within two weeks once I have tried the Meucci CF, so then I can give you a comparison, but will, of course, be just my personal opinion.

I'll highlight this thread so that I can remember this.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I absolutely love the Meucci CF shaft 2nd only to my Revo. I have the 11.75mm Meucci 30". I wasn't a fan of the Jacoby personally

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I absolutely love the Meucci CF shaft 2nd only to my Revo. I have the 11.75mm Meucci 30". I wasn't a fan of the Jacoby personally

Can't say that I loved the Meucci but, I did like it more than most CF shafts. I too hated the Jacoby Black.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a fan of the Jacoby cf shaft or the hybrid ultra wood shaft?

I didn't like either of them. Not at all.

IMO, if your going CF shafts, you can get way better shafts than Jacoby....by far.

However, the Jacoby's wooden LD shafts are "ok"....still though, IMO...you can do better as far as LD shafts go.

BTW:

Keep in mind that I give the hit, feel, sound or the looks of a shaft absolutely no value at all. All I consider is performance.

To me, the rate of deflection and energy transfer is all that matters.

If you care about anything other than deflection or energy transfer, you may love the Jacoby Black. Then again, if looks, feel etc..etc... are important, there are many shafts that will satisfy your needs.

IMO...muecci CF is way ahead of Jacoby...way ahead.

Just depends....do you know the difference?

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my opinion, just simpler to go with a 2-inch butt extension than worrying about trying to find a 31-inch shaft, which will be very hard to find.

^^^^^^ is a good option as well.

Not to mention, if you decide you want a standard length, well, all you is unscrew the extension and continue.

Excellent option actually!

Don't forget about mid-cue extension as well...

Jeff

glfgd82

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
^^^^^^ is a good option as well.

Not to mention, if you decide you want a standard length, well, all you is unscrew the extension and continue.

Excellent option actually!

Don't forget about mid-cue extension as well...

Jeff

My only issue with that is my butt is 34.5" already and I'm trying to keep shaft length near what I have now to keep balance

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My only issue with that is my butt is 34.5" already and I'm trying to keep shaft length near what I have now to keep balance

Depending on how your butt is balanced, a mid-cue extension may be ideal for you. They are really good to balance out heavy butts....and it sounds like you have a very heavy cue butt unless it's bored or made of extremely light wood or both.

Jeff

glfgd82

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depending on how your butt is balanced, a mid-cue extension may be ideal for you. They are really good to balance out heavy butts....and it sounds like you have a very heavy cue butt unless it's bored or made of extremely light wood or both.

Jeff

I'm not sure on my shaft weight but I know the cue weighs 20 1 all together and is 63" in overall length so it's really light given the length of the cue. Everyone who hits with it notes how balanced it is and how it doesn't feel like a 20 oz. Cue