3D printed pool cue

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This will be updated as I make progress. Right now I'm in the early design stages. Goal is a multi-piece pool cue I can bring inside my schoolbag carryon on a plane. I travel light and don't bring a suitcase. The first 16" will be cut from a Predator 314 shaft. The rest will be 3D printed.

1701630362067.png

First pass just roughing something in, not paying much attention to the dimensions.

1701630495736.png

Working on thread design of joint for the multiple 3D printed pieces. Will try to print the thread, rather than use a traditional pool cue joint pin. The thread will be much larger with that in mind. These are standardized 60 deg V threads, with a size of 5/8" OD, 10 threads per inch.

1701630856917.png

The threads worked, but they were not clean. The 60 deg angle is not ideal for printing.

1701630933149.png

I changed the thread angle to 45 deg. This is more ideal for printing. These threads are also 5/8" OD, 10 TPI, but a non-standard thread form.

1701631017320.png

This turned out much cleaner. I also experimented with the clearance between the male and female, and got the fit really nice when turning them together. I'm happy with the thread design, and will put it at each joint. It will scale in diameter at each joint to best match the diameter of the cue at that location.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
TSA says you might be SOL anyway - not sure if this is a size thing of if TSA says a pool cue can be used as a weapon.

TSA.gov - pool cues
Seen a guys head get split open in bar with the butt of a McDermott, broke the butt in half over the dudes head, thru the handle. He was down for the count, sure was leaking a lot of blood. When the ambulance arrived we all left. All over a $2 bottle of beer. The guy with the broken McDermott was busy blocking punches with his face delivered by a buddy of the dude with the headache. You just cant buy that kind of entertainment.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TSA says you might be SOL anyway - not sure if this is a size thing of if TSA says a pool cue can be used as a weapon.

TSA.gov - pool cues

Yep, I really doubt it will be allowed in a carry-on. I'm sure we are all equally confused as to why some things like tennis racquets OK, but cues are not. It's likely someone has a job and they need to do something to make up some rules or else.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1701632014807.png

The basic segment design will be like this. It will be printed at 100% infill for strength. The density of the filament is greater than maple, so I will have a hollow section in the middle of each segment (as needed) to adjust the overall cue weight and balance. There are domed portions at the top of the threads and the hollow section, so it can print without support. The domed sections will also reduce the stress concentrations, hopefully allowing the cue to survive the impacts. My printer can print max height of 256mm, so each section will have to be that size or less.

Filament will probably be PLA, because it's easy and stiff. I can try something else if that turns out to have issues.

1701632378442.png

I worked a lot on the length of each segment. This is what I came up with. It's a balance of what will fit on the printer, what will fit in my schoolbag, and to get the longest length Predator real wood shaft possible for the best stroke experience. 7 total pieces, piece 2-7 are 3d printed, piece 1 is the predator 314 cut to 16" long. With this setup, piece 2-3, 4-5, 6-7 will be a subassy each, possibly even glued together on their thread joint. Each of those sub-assy's will be 16" long (including the thread). So when putting in my schoolbag, I'd have 4 total pieces, each 16" long. It would be the most efficient use of space, to get the longest possible 314 portion. Total length will be 61.75", which is perfect for me because I'm 6' 3" tall.

1701632721141.png

This data I measured in 2005, and still had it. It's 314-1, Z-1, BK-1 shaft, and a second 314-1. I will use it to match the predator 314 taper, and rebuild the CAD model to these numbers. I do have a 314-2 now that has never been cleaned (but well used), that I will probably measure, maybe use those numbers instead.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I already tested this at TSA. I took a house cue, cut it into 4 pieces, and put it in my schoolbag. I took about 6 trips with it, it never raised an eyebrow. It was not functional, no joint screws, just cut on my bandsaw to test the idea. What I also like a lot about the 3d printed, is if it does get taken, I can easily just push the button and print another set. (minus the 314 portion, of course). I also was thinking to make it look like a #2 pencil. Print it yellow, put a #2 on the back, and something that looks like an eraser. Then if someone asks about it, I can say it's a prop for a school play to be a big pencil.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
View attachment 730730
The basic segment design will be like this. It will be printed at 100% infill for strength. The density of the filament is greater than maple, so I will have a hollow section in the middle of each segment (as needed) to adjust the overall cue weight and balance. There are domed portions at the top of the threads and the hollow section, so it can print without support. The domed sections will also reduce the stress concentrations, hopefully allowing the cue to survive the impacts. My printer can print max height of 256mm, so each section will have to be that size or less.

Filament will probably be PLA, because it's easy and stiff. I can try something else if that turns out to have issues.

View attachment 730731
I worked a lot on the length of each segment. This is what I came up with. It's a balance of what will fit on the printer, what will fit in my schoolbag, and to get the longest length Predator real wood shaft possible for the best stroke experience. 7 total pieces, piece 2-7 are 3d printed, piece 1 is the predator 314 cut to 16" long. With this setup, piece 2-3, 4-5, 6-7 will be a subassy each, possibly even glued together on their thread joint. Each of those sub-assy's will be 16" long (including the thread). So when putting in my schoolbag, I'd have 4 total pieces, each 16" long. It would be the most efficient use of space, to get the longest possible 314 portion. Total length will be 61.75", which is perfect for me because I'm 6' 3" tall.

View attachment 730732
This data I measured in 2005, and still had it. It's 314-1, Z-1, BK-1 shaft, and a second 314-1. I will use it to match the predator 314 taper, and rebuild the CAD model to these numbers. I do have a 314-2 now that has never been cleaned (but well used), that I will probably measure, maybe use those numbers instead.

unsure about PLA with the impact stress of a pool shot, especially at the joint threads. 256 volume, sounds like a bambu printer?

i like the project and will follow with interest, but to use a j/b cue and split and joint the shaft sounds easier and more likely to achieve the feeling of a real cue

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
......I rarely take to the air but like the creativity. Curious about front and back sections weight balance ?

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I did look at that a few weeks back. It could work. The thing about it is I couldn't adjust the pieces to the exact lengths I wanted. Plus, I really wanted to try the 3D print idea for the fun of it:)

We have talked about the concentricity of FDM printers before so I will be curious to see the final run out of the assembled cue given the number of vertical layers in each section.

An interesting experiment!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have talked about the concentricity of FDM printers before so I will be curious to see the final run out of the assembled cue given the number of vertical layers in each section.

An interesting experiment!
It’s pretty good. It’s out of round about .003” on the test joint pieces I made.