3D Printed Pool Objects

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great. Hopefully you watch the mesh video as well. That by itself solves a lot of CAD work.

I'm not a mechanical engineer so I don't use any of these programs outside of 3D printing. I wish I was because I use 3D printing almost exclusively for mechanical things. Printing pool related objects became one of my 3D printing hobbies because of extensions and right now I doddle with printing "LD" shafts. In doing that, stress testing became a focus of mine, and while I wish I could say I went all the way down the rabbit hole with that, I just stopped. You just don't need a lot for shafts. However, the first video I watched (I've only seen about 10 total) was this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0YsC53mFvY

NOTE: The above video demonstrates meshes too. I guess if you were a CAD/CAM whiz you might find all that easy to do without meshes, but for me the meshes just seem easiest (and is probably almost always cleaner).

!! RANT related to 3D printing billiard parts !!

*IF* you _OWN_ a 3D printer, my belief (at 95% now) is that if you print _DISPOSABLE_ parts, you can print a shaft at least as good as anything you can buy. While I suspected I would eventually discover that I was still against it on the basis of recycling. However, with the advancements on recycling 3D materials becoming a hot topic, it's just a matter of time until it won't be a concern. So the ability to have the part in a matter of hours, tweaked how you like, the parts being repeatable and the low cost, this just becomes a "no brainer" _IF_ you own a 3D printer.

To end the specificity of pool shafts, right now I'm nearly certain that the butt should just be the lowest possible weight made of wood and the shaft should be made in 2 pieces. I'm going to rework my designs into 2 pieces because that way I will only have to print an object at most in 15" lengths (hopefully like 10"). I haven't done any stress testing yet on the effects of this, but it seems like the best approach as the shorter the printed piece, the faster and cheaper it becomes. I don't know, it's all a guess based on playing around at this point, so I'm very open to opinions.

Anyways, if you ever want a CoreXY printer or a printer of some fashion where the build surface doesn't move (or at least one axis is stationary), I _HIGHLY_ recommend building your own. I did _NOT_ do this and wish _VERY_ much that I did as the costs are way, way lower. The best part is that to learn how to get up and started in building your own printer isn't hard at all as you can just use assembly manuals from dozens of other printers to learn the concepts and mechanical goals.

I did watch about half of the mesh video, but then turned it off as its not anything I need right now. I've been quite happy thus far with the stock infill settings of my printer. Its also super convenient for me to finish the CAD, and then 5 min later be printing, without needing to adjust any printer settings. I only had the printer since Xmas, and made maybe 50 parts on it, and all were great.

This particular part is purely cosmetic to help me make a video later. It won't actually strike anything.

So, if I'm reading you right, you actually printed a 3D shaft for playing? How did it hold up?

I'm a ME and have been using 3D printed parts for 20 years now, (but always outsourced them, never printed with my own printer until now). The strongest process I've ever used was SLS. Its almost equivalent to molded nylon, but parts are super expensive. I would think based on a hunch and having FDM type parts split in my hands, that the impact from striking a cue ball would shatter an FDM shaft within 10 hits. That's just my hunch though. You have me curious now, maybe we can make a shaft to play pool with next.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I was originally going to make a base. But decided I wanted as little extra as possible, so it would look closest to the real thing. There are only 3 points of contact with the cloth. The base of the ball, and the two bottom portions of the rear support (well, that's a line....) So one point contact, and one line contact to the cloth.
You might dowel the parts together if they aren't hollow. If it's too late to print the dowel holes, maybe it wouldn't be too hard to bore them...?

pj <- spitballin'
chgo

Blank.jpg

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Finished!

IMG_5884.jpeg
This is how it looks in the printer when finished.

IMG_5885.jpeg
The printer platen is flexible and magnetic. You just twist it a bit and the parts pop off.

IMG_5886.jpeg
All that structure underneath is temporary and pops off with hands and/or hand tools.

IMG_5887.jpeg
Parts finished. They were lightly hand sanded.

IMG_5891.jpeg
This is what it looks like on the table.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You might dowel the parts together if they aren't hollow. If it's too late to print the dowel holes, maybe it wouldn't be too hard to bore them...?

pj <- spitballin'
chgo

View attachment 546157

With the printer, you can make any shapes, that otherwise with lets say a wood shaft and a phenolic ball you would never. In this case, the rib I added underneath turned out to be sufficient. I got lucky;)

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
is the point of this to put on the table as a sort of reference as to how low you can go?

I'll have another thread for its purpose later. But it is to see how much (or how little) an overhead camera (or other camera angle), can distort a perfect 6:00 draw tip position, to look like a player is hitting the ball with side spin. Its probably near impossible to test this with a human holding the stick, as who knows how good they are truly striking the ball. With this, I know 100% the tip is at 6:00. I can roll the cameras, and just move this all over the table and then check the video. I'll do that and share those results maybe tomorrow or the next day. Time to eat.

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
iusedtoberich,
I'm hoping to print one of your images to hang on my home room wall. Specifically the last image, Closeup of tip-ball details, on the very first post of this topic. Any way I could get a hi-res version of it? Something around 3300 pixels (or more) wide would be ideal.

I tried to PM but your mailbox is full.

Appreciate it,
Steve

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
iusedtoberich,
I'm hoping to print one of your images to hang on my home room wall. Specifically the last image, Closeup of tip-ball details, on the very first post of this topic. Any way I could get a hi-res version of it? Something around 3300 pixels (or more) wide would be ideal.

I tried to PM but your mailbox is full.

Appreciate it,
Steve

Sure, no problem. I'll send you a pm with my email in a few min.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Thanks, good replacement for that Dogs Playing Pool picture...
Now you need a follow, left and right English...

Cool thread!

Come to think of it, I would like one of them as well. Would you mind sending me the pic as well iusedtoberich? I wont utilize mine until I get my room and table though. Thanks!