$4,000 New RC3 or Tonkin

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Richard and Pete each make fine cues. The future market for existing cues is difficult to predict. I have always bought for personal interest and not for future value. If my cues don’t increase in value, I don’t care. I am happy with my purchases regardless. For $4K, you should really love the cue.

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
As has been mentioned both cuemakers are top tier--you cannot go wrong. You will wait quite a while for a new build. If you can go to SBE you are very likely to see new and second hand cues from Rick Chudy and Pete Tonkin. No waiting and likely some selection at your price point. You can also see and handle the cues and you might be swayed toward one or the other maker based on the cue specs or design. You have a good problem on your hands!

Last edited:

Nyquil

I saw a bad a$$ looking Tonkin for around 4k a few months ago. This SBE place sounds like the promised land.

Nyquil

I saw a bad a$$ looking Tonkin for around 4k a few months ago. This SBE place sounds like the promised land.
Had to dig thru my pics to find it. Looks are obviously subjective but I think she's a stunner.
Screenshot_20220125-214404_Messages.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220125-214419_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20220125-214419_Messages.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 52

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I think this place is good for research on cue purchases and cue makers... but horrible for "Should I buy this or this cue" threads. Buy whatever cue you want. You have to use it and look at it everyday.

...and keep in mind, not every cue needs to be purchased as an investment. Get whatever you like best.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trying to predict what a cue may/may not be worth down the line is really, imo, a waste of time. Cue market can be VERY fickle. You may come out smelling of roses or an outhouse. Find a cue YOU want to play with and don't worry about future value.

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are going play with it then you might like buying one that you can try. Going to sbe will allow you to do that. If you want one made I would think at least a year maybe more wait. at the expo you can buy parts for cue from different sellers. Parts like the wood.
There will be several high end cue makers at the expo. I think rc usually has a booth. Getting there on the first day allows you the best selection.
This year is unusual. The tap nationals is being held 3 days before the expo at that site. This means a few thousand people will there before the expo actually starts.
By the way I have seen new cues go for 100k, 160k, and 240k.
Good luck. I hope you get what you want. There is one retailer who usually sells 5 cues for $100. This way you can have money left over to buy$30 chalk

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
With 4K I could buy 8 cues that play well and still have ice cream money.
Monster Players, Hits A Ton, Real Stunner cues are always for sale. (Cough)
If you want a museum piece that supposedly plays well, have one built, and play Russian Roulette.
As far as resale, there are many cues people can't give away.
Find a cue to hit with before purchasing. The SBE is a good start, spend wisely.

If you don't know the type of hit you like, figure it out. You can put a quality shaft and tip on a tree branch and have a good hitter. A pig in a tuxedo is still a pig.
I have hit with some of the most beautiful pieces of crap on the planet. We call them casket cues, they look pretty laying on the table but have no life, they play dead, a dead hit.

I don't care if I'm involved in the design, or flew myself to brazil for a chunk of Rosewood.
If I can't play with it I am not buying it, the price is irrelevant.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Knowing what cue is going to hold value the best is guesswork at best. Buy a cue you like to play with.
I'd guess with the old guys passing daily and the young shooting with plastic/carbon fiber, you'd better buy a cue you keep for life...maybe take with you when you go.

That said Tonkin make a beautiful cue.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd guess with the old guys passing daily and the young shooting with plastic/carbon fiber, you'd better buy a cue you keep for life...maybe take with you when you go.

That said Tonkin make a beautiful cue.
His shop looks an aerospace set-up. Cues are freakin spectacular. I wouldn't take one to the hall. Be scared it would get dented or worse.