$500 CF shaft

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
has anyone else noticed that a $500 CF shaft won't fix a $1 stroke..................

Kim
Don't recall that ever being stated as a remote possibility. Look, i think everyone on here knows you hate cf. You also seem not to have a clue about them as you keep saying that lo-def. cf shafts are not possible.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Yes, I have. I’ve also noticed one or two players that can move the cueball much easier with Carbon Fiber shafts as opposed to wood.
I doubt this. CF might transfer a tiny bit more power, but not enough to make moving the CB “much easier”.
Of course, you have to have a good stroke to do it
If you have a good stroke you don’t need CF to “move the CB easier”.

pj
chgo

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing new equipment does, in any sport, is make you want to get out and play. A new cue, new tennis racket, new golf clubs, etc. They all seem to motivate people to practice, and play more. So that is a good thing. Of course that motivation may wear off quickly for some people, but for others, it just may be the catalyst they need to jump start their game.

chenjy9

I myself got a CF shaft because it is significantly more durable to dings, won't warp under normal (and more extreme) conditions, and super easy to clean. Almost everyone else I know who has one gives the same reason, the exception being a buddy who just got it because it looked cool on his ebony Merry Widow cue butt.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have avoided the CF shaft movement so far. Not because I have anything against them, and not because I can't afford one. I just don't think they look as good as well maintained wood. I much prefer my stainless 1911's with wood grips over my black plastic glocks and sigs...even though I know I could bury those guns in the yard for a year, dig them up and they would likely perform flawlessly.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Conversely, there is nothing a maple shaft can do that a CF shaft cannot do better.
I've tried about 10 different cf shafts. Only things i notice is there is some extra 'oomph' applied with same stroke and varying degrees of less deflection. Other than that all the advantages, imo, are the slick finish, dent and warp resistance, life of product. Switching to CF is not going to do wonders for one's game. Still a lot of top players using wood shafts. They tried cf and preferred wood.

chenjy9

I've tried about 10 different cf shafts. Only things i notice is there is some extra 'oomph' applied with same stroke and varying degrees of less deflection. Other than that all the advantages, imo, are the slick finish, dent and warp resistance, life of product. Switching to CF is not going to do wonders for one's game. Still a lot of top players using wood shafts. They tried cf and preferred wood.

I don't think anyone is arguing that.

Got a couple of examples?

pj <- skeptic
chgo
  • CF is much more rigid and stable than wood meaning a thin CF shaft is never whippy or soft
  • CF has low thermal expandability and surface friction, allowing for a more consistent and smoother stroke especially over repeated continuous usage
  • CF does not warp or "move" under normal weather conditions, meaning it is naturally more consistent yearlong
  • CF has much better fatigue resistance, meaning it will withstand the test of time and usage better
  • CF has better energy transfer due to better vibration dampening which provides a more efficient hit

Reactions: bbb

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...there is nothing a maple shaft can do that a CF shaft cannot do better.
Got a couple of examples?
  • CF is much more rigid and stable than wood meaning a thin CF shaft is never whippy or soft
That's one (unless you like your shaft whippy or soft).
  • CF has low thermal expandability and surface friction, allowing for a more consistent and smoother stroke especially over repeated continuous usage
I don't think thermal expandability is a problem with maple. And maple shafts are easily kept smooth.
  • CF does not warp or "move" under normal weather conditions, meaning it is naturally more consistent yearlong
I doubt that difference, if real, is noticable.
  • CF has much better fatigue resistance, meaning it will withstand the test of time and usage better
I've never heard of a maple shaft wearing out or "going bad".
  • CF has better energy transfer due to better vibration dampening which provides a more efficient hit
As I said before, that may be true, but only to a tiny degree.

In other words, I think maple shafts perform pretty much as well as CF shafts, and liking one more than the other is mostly personal preference - but of course personal preference is important.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

pj
chgo