7 foot diamond ruining my game

PracticeChampion

If your tournament play is on big tables then yeah probably screwed yourself. I went from a barbox to an os 8' and my game has really improved. My eyes are good at distance but I had a hell of a time shooting even full length barbox so the practice on the os 8 makes a barbox like a baby table. People are starting to hate seeing me sign up in barbox tourneys now (Finally!)

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I miss my GC3. The diamond bar box is nice for out at the bar, but for good play and good practice, this table is nowhere near the quality of my old GC3.

They’re for bars. Hint: Bar Box. Hint. Hint.
I wouldn't consider a diamond 7 foot Pro-Am, or a smart table for that matter, a basic bar box. But if that's really all you think about it, you might as well have just bought a Valley or a Dynamo.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I wouldn't consider a diamond 7 foot Pro-Am, or a smart table for that matter, a basic bar box. But if that's really all you think about it, you might as well have just bought a Valley or a Dynamo.
for the price of a diamond bb id rather buy the 9ft
or like you said a valley

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For quality, I would say both tables are very much equal. For playing on, a 7 footer vs a 9 footer is definitely not as good for most real players that play outside of bars and leagues. A 7 food diamond vs a standard GC you find in a pool hall with older cloth and large pockets would be better in my opinion.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The thing is, if the op ever goes to sell that table, he's going to be telling everybody how great it is. If it's nothing more than a used Bar Box, I'll give him a thousand bucks for it, and I'll come and disassemble it and take it off his hands.

bowiebill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For quality, I would say both tables are very much equal. For playing on, a 7 footer vs a 9 footer is definitely not as good for most real players that play outside of bars and leagues. A 7 food diamond vs a standard GC you find in a pool hall with older cloth and large pockets would be better in my opinion.
The black spots on my balls disagree with you.

bowiebill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The thing is, if the op ever goes to sell that table, he's going to be telling everybody how great it is. If it's nothing more than a used Bar Box, I'll give him a thousand bucks for it, and I'll come and disassemble it and take it off his hands.
I won’t have to tell anyone anything. Diamonds are popular because that’s what people see on tournaments. If I had it to do over again, I would only pay $1,000 for this table.

bowiebill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Btw, bring a GC with you when you come…

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I don't find anything wrong with a well set up and maintain Valley table. I guess the main difference is the subrails on Valley bolt to the Box. Not the case on the diamond.
Valleys don't play anything like Diamonds. If a bar in our league doesn't have a Diamond odds are they wont be hosting any teams, at least for the better leagues, everyone wants to play on Diamonds up here. We have around 150 tables at our state WSPA tournament, all Valley's, you would be hard pressed to find 2 that played the same. When we go to our state BCAPL tournament they will have somewhere around 75 Diamonds or so that all play virtually identical. A banger like me wont notice the difference in play on the Diamonds.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
If your tournament play is on big tables then yeah probably screwed yourself. I went from a barbox to an os 8' and my game has really improved. My eyes are good at distance but I had a hell of a time shooting even full length barbox so the practice on the os 8 makes a barbox like a baby table. People are starting to hate seeing me sign up in barbox tourneys now (Finally!)
I have 9' GCI with tight 4 1/2" pockets at home but play league and all tournaments on barboxes, not by choice. I don't feel there is a big difference between the two and I would be hard pressed to say practicing on my 9' table helped me at all, if it did I would say its psychological.