7 ft or 8Ft ? Which would be the choice ?

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

My Son has a 8FT Olhausen Table that is a beautiful Oak Table , American ProvincialI with Acu fast rails believe it is called with Tourny Blue Cloth on it. I grew up playing in 8ft Tables and that was the norm around here. You did not see 9 ft tables except on Tv were Pro's were playing . All the pool rooms in a 100 mile radius all had 8 ft tables. Now the Norm seems to be 7ft , All the places or pool hall's or Bars is all 7 ft . The big pool hall close to us has all 7ft Diamonds . It is odd playing on a 7ft table because I am not used to it. But it seems every where we go it is 7ft. My Son is deciding on getting a 7ft so when he plays tourny's he will be more used to that size table as it seems that is all we are seeing now, What would your choice be , stick with the Old Faithful or Change and go with the new norm .

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

My Son has a 8FT Olhausen Table that is a beautiful Oak Table , American ProvincialI with Acu fast rails believe it is called with Tourny Blue Cloth on it. I grew up playing in 8ft Tables and that was the norm around here. You did not see 9 ft tables except on Tv were Pro's were playing . All the pool rooms in a 100 mile radius all had 8 ft tables. Now the Norm seems to be 7ft , All the places or pool hall's or Bars is all 7 ft . The big pool hall close to us has all 7ft Diamonds . It is odd playing on a 7ft table because I am not used to it. But it seems every where we go it is 7ft. My Son is deciding on getting a 7ft so when he plays tourny's he will be more used to that size table as it seems that is all we are seeing now, What would your choice be , stick with the Old Faithful or Change and go with the new norm .
What is his age? Who is paying for the table? If it’s him, tell him to go ahead and get the seven footer. If it’s you, just tell him the 8 foot table will be fine and that he’ll just need to adjust to the 7 foot table when he plays tourneys. It doesn’t sound like you’re a pool player as well or at least not one who goes out to play in tournaments?

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s a matter of preference unless you or your son is planning on competing on 7’ tables and you want to practice on what you will be competing on like you stated. I haven’t played on a 7’ table in over 3 years I love 9 footers. The difference between the two equates to tennis vs ping pong to me .. good luck!

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
Never seen a "pool hall" with all 7 footers. Why not have him create a profile here so we can ask him questioins about his thoughts and goals.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I personally think practicing on an 8-foot with tight pockets it's good practice for going to a 7. It's a far easier transition from an 8 to a 7, as compared being used to a 7 and going to an 8. I guess the big question is do you have the proper amount of room for an 8 foot?

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

If you get a 7’ diamond it will RUIN your stroke and make your big game useless. Just a warning. You will see. Diamond 7’ tables are a disaster for the game. Bad enough diamonds are pinball machines but then shrink that playing surface and boy, oh boy. It’s no longer pool. Should find the lightest cue you can find and slow that stroke way, way down. It’s a disgraceful table. People are sheep regardless of the evidence.

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pool Hall in question had 6 8ft tables but they took them out and replaced with 7ft , They do have 4 9ft gold crowns on the bottom floor. They play all Tourny's on the 7ft Diamond tables. My Son plays in their Tourny's from time to time. I don't much anymore only on Occasion. My game is not what it used to be , I had to get Glasses a few months ago so seeing better than I have in Problay 10 years. The Table he has is fine. It just seems the 7ft is becoming the norm , they can fit more tables I guess

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
The way I see it:
- If he's seriously good (future pro), the 8ft will be better for his long-term development.
- If he's just regular-good, he doesn't need to be buying a table to match a local tournament. And it's better for regular-good players to be experienced with a wide variety of equipment.

Here in the UK, most bar tables are 6ft because we are a sad, impoverished shadow of America :(
If America is also to become a sad, impoverished shadow of America, I recommend you put 2" balls on your 7ft tables and play with a 8.5-9mm tip. Same as us. Makes the table feel spacious again. Your cue ball will be 1 7/8 inches because we/you can't have anything nice.

PracticeChampion

The pool Hall in question had 6 8ft tables but they took them out and replaced with 7ft , They do have 4 9ft gold crowns on the bottom floor. They play all Tourny's on the 7ft Diamond tables. My Son plays in their Tourny's from time to time. I don't much anymore only on Occasion. My game is not what it used to be , I had to get Glasses a few months ago so seeing better than I have in Problay 10 years. The Table he has is fine. It just seems the 7ft is becoming the norm , they can fit more tables I guess
Except for one little bar every tournament around here within 100 miles + is 7' or 9'. If funds are easily accessible and someone wanted to really be competitive I would buy whatever is being played locally.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
If you can't do 9, do 8. Only way I'd put a barbox in my house is if I couldnt even accomodate the 8 footer with a shorty cue.

H<-----has an 8 footer in a room not big enough for it and uses a shorty cue and still wouldnt change it.

Reactions: Pin

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Maybe I'm just an elitist, but I wouldn't own a table smaller than 9'. If you son is willing to spend the money, and he has room for the 9' then push him that way. He potting ability and CB control will be light years ahead of the barbox banger within a year.

If he can't go bigger then there's really no reason to go smaller. Wise assed comments aside, going smaller won't give him any edge when immersed in the local scene. Take the new table money and tighten up the 8'

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe I'm just an elitist, but I wouldn't own a table smaller than 9'. If you son is willing to spend the money, and he has room for the 9' then push him that way. He potting ability and CB control will be light years ahead of the barbox banger within a year.

If he can't go bigger then there's really no reason to go smaller. Wise assed comments aside, going smaller won't give him any edge wen immersed in the local scene. Take the new table money and tighten up the 8'
I would definitely have a 9 ft if I had the room. After practicing on a 9-foot, the seven foot feels like you're playing on a postage stamp. I drive semi for a living. After driving all day in that thing, and then hopping into my Hyundai Elantra, the lane on the highway seems like it's 50 feet wide.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can think of better ways to burn money than going from a perfectly good, solid 8' table to a 7'er.

Hookers and blow come to mind, but if that's not his thing, I'm sure there are others.
This post could be the post of the year so far.
Good advice.
Blow money on a toy table,brilliant.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
stick with what you got, its a good size that you can play anygame with

bar tables, HAVE to be on point cant be off by an inch or bump balls accidentally. you simply cannot.
big tables you will always have a shot due to the open areas,

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Hello ,

I think he would be best off getting a 9' table. Sure, his speed will be off when playing on a 7' table but every shot on the 7' table will seem much easier by comparison. A couple hours a week at the pool hall practicing on 7' tables and he will gain the necessary speed control for 7' tables, especially once he gets used to it, the adjustment will come easily.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 8-foot table at home and I play one either 8-foot tables (league) and 6½-foot tables in the local bar.
I find no disadvantage practicing on a larger table with tight pockets (home) and playing on a shorter table with large pockets.
Keep the 8-footer.