7 ft or 8Ft ? Which would be the choice ?

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

My Son has a 8FT Olhausen Table that is a beautiful Oak Table , American ProvincialI with Acu fast rails believe it is called with Tourny Blue Cloth on it. I grew up playing in 8ft Tables and that was the norm around here. You did not see 9 ft tables except on Tv were Pro's were playing . All the pool rooms in a 100 mile radius all had 8 ft tables. Now the Norm seems to be 7ft , All the places or pool hall's or Bars is all 7 ft . The big pool hall close to us has all 7ft Diamonds . It is odd playing on a 7ft table because I am not used to it. But it seems every where we go it is 7ft. My Son is deciding on getting a 7ft so when he plays tourny's he will be more used to that size table as it seems that is all we are seeing now, What would your choice be , stick with the Old Faithful or Change and go with the new norm .
The average player should play 7' table if there's a choice. It would be more enjoyable for lesser than serious players. Only problem I find with 7' tables is congestion, lots of it. Even though these tables normally use a 2" ball. 8' table uses 2.25" ball which I enjoy much more. Can't see any argument saying playing a 8' table is easier than a 7' table. Other than congestion of balls on smaller tables.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
plenty of serious players at bca and vnea vegas championships playing on bar tables. the congestion is the challenge. doubt theyd play in it that often if they didnt enjoy it

ive never heard of a smaller cue ball for bar tables
ive seen the much larger one but just a time or two

eg9327

Hello ,

My Son has a 8FT Olhausen Table that is a beautiful Oak Table , American ProvincialI with Acu fast rails believe it is called with Tourny Blue Cloth on it. I grew up playing in 8ft Tables and that was the norm around here. You did not see 9 ft tables except on Tv were Pro's were playing . All the pool rooms in a 100 mile radius all had 8 ft tables. Now the Norm seems to be 7ft , All the places or pool hall's or Bars is all 7 ft . The big pool hall close to us has all 7ft Diamonds . It is odd playing on a 7ft table because I am not used to it. But it seems every where we go it is 7ft. My Son is deciding on getting a 7ft so when he plays tourny's he will be more used to that size table as it seems that is all we are seeing now, What would your choice be , stick with the Old Faithful or Change and go with the new norm .
I have a 7 foot table due to space consideration, but sticking to a common size with local tournaments makes sense. At home make sure you have the tightest pockets available, though.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think he would be best off getting a 9' table. Sure, his speed will be off when playing on a 7' table but every shot on the 7' table will seem much easier by comparison. A couple hours a week at the pool hall practicing on 7' tables and he will gain the necessary speed control for 7' tables, especially once he gets used to it, the adjustment will come easily.
Are there tables smaller than 9’? 🤔🤔🤔

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Are there tables smaller than 9’? 🤔🤔🤔
I personally don't have a problem with barboxes but I suppose that's the the way it is in the midwest, it is the barbox capital of the world, isn't it??? Besides my GCI I also have a 7' Valley I bought to practice on when tournaments get close, its a tight fit though. I would rather have bought a 7' Diamond but that extra 4" means that I wouldn't be able to use a full length cue on every shot and to me that is just not acceptable.
I have heard rumors of 10' Diamond tables roaming the wilds, I have yet to see or play on one yet. Kinda like the elusive Bigfoot I guess. :)

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Never seen a "pool hall" with all 7 footers. Why not have him create a profile here so we can ask him questioins about his thoughts and goals.

Well we have Metro Sports Bar in Phoenix, believe they have 8-10 Diamond Bar Boxes, and 8-9 Gold Crown 4.5 x 9.0s.

Good mix, in two separate areas. Yes it is a Sports Bar, but is big on Pool.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like she always says, " the bigger the better".
I think a good preshot routine and knowing which shot to shoot when is WAY more important than 7ft. vs. 8ft as long as both tables have good rails, balls, cloth, and set-up.
My Vote is 8ft even if it is an olhausen

cbi1000

It is what it is...
Silver Member
Get the largest table you can. It will make you a better player. Hands down, no questions, everyday and twice on Sunday.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I think an 8-footer is a great size for home. Jumping up to 9 or jumping down to 7 is comfortable.
I played on lots of 8-foots all over the south...and Mosconi ran his 526 on an 8-footer.