70s/80s Era Questions

Pawlowski424

So, here's my list of questions lol:

What was the general pocket size for pro-speed tournaments?

What were table conditions like?

I've noticed players of this era (Varner, Hall, Sigel, etc) playing with steel joint. What was the belief behind forward balanced/steel joint cues?

Is the information that's available today (pocket lines, cue ball physics, navigating the table, etc. Advanced details, so to speak), the same information as back then? If not, what has changed?

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Ding Dong something wrong.
Oh well slipped and fell. 🤷‍♂️
Robertson vs Ding in China. Robertson forced to call out a sharking spectator. The shark attack only served to inspire him. 🤷‍♂️
5-4 going to 6. It ain't over yet.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Uh oh, Neal leaves open the door and Ding can even the score.
Oh no, poor crutch shot. Robertson should get out here.
What a show.
The camera work just gave the intimate look at Ding's eyes on the Break off. Just as I see in Ronnie.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Some ancient books on billiards, all free. Probably get more hits searching "pool" too but a lot of junk hits. I read a chunk of a very old book a few years ago. I was amazed. Aside from a bit of wording the book could have been written yesterday.

Hu

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Some ancient books on billiards, all free. Probably get more hits searching "pool" too but a lot of junk hits. I read a chunk of a very old book a few years ago. I was amazed. Aside from a bit of wording the book could have been written yesterday.

Hu

I had a book from 1898 called The Theory of the Ball…..can’t remember the author. A third of the book was on billiards.
I told Bob Jewett I would ship it to him if I could get it back…I lent it to a friend for his PHD thesis….lost track of each other.
……one thing I remember is the height of the rail is higher than modern rails…..a tad over 70% of the ball.
I played on Frank Taberski’s table and the contact height may have been that.