8 Ball Soft Break

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get the idea of turning it into a tactical game to help beat a stronger shooter. Here’s my problem... are these so called “run out artists” that bad at tactical games? When a weaker player soft breaks against me I just think “welp, you’re done”.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was asked to play on an 8 ball team. I'm mostly a One Pocket Player.
So why would you not soft break 8 ball and give yourself a chance to get to the table?
Has anyone developed the Soft Break for 8-ball?

Ike Runnels out of the Chicago area likes this style of 8 ball. Coincidentally, he is a pretty sporty 1 Pocket player also.
Unless you are a 715/720ish Fargo rated player or higher, this is not a bad strategy. There are many guys who can run out on an open table if the balls are spread apart. Give them a few clusters and it becomes a whole different animal.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Coughing up a soft break, to play a sporty opponent has been around for years. Why break up the rack for some Run Out Artist to win. If you have the skill & patience for a safety game, you just might come out a winner. I talking about the entire match, not just the last game. It all depends on the circumstances & your opponent...

And playing under take-what-you-make rules (as opposed to open table after the break) can also be a factor in some players' choice to avoid the power break.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Ike Runnels out of the Chicago area likes this style of 8 ball. Coincidentally, he is a pretty sporty 1 Pocket player also.
Unless you are a 715/720ish Fargo rated player or higher, this is not a bad strategy. There are many guys who can run out on an open table if the balls are spread apart. Give them a few clusters and it becomes a whole different animal.

Ok, this is a little different. Ike is more than sporty at 1P, and can move the cb to where ever he wants. If he's playing 8ball, he will out move most folks he plays with. But, in general, he does not use the soft break in 8ball. He has used it, but this is not his typical strategy. Of course, maybe he's changed as he's older now, but I have not seen it yet.

Played in a 1P tourney a few years ago against Ike. All monsters playing and then there was me. Made a ball on the break and ran 4 more. Had a "flyer" that I could have shot, and if made, the game would be pretty much over. Yeah, I didn't take it, and lost 8-5. I never got even a tough shot again, I was hooked on everything.. didn't matter, glued to the rail and behind something, or the stuck in the stack... I'm taking the flyer next time. lol

Before anyone asks. Yes, a ball on the break counted for you and you continued shooting.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, one thing is for sure... try not to start something that you cannot finish.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I simply don't understand why ANYONE would think it a good idea to soft break at 8 ball? I mean, I can sort of understand it, you did it one time and your opponent messed up, earning you a win. Then you just kept on doing it. That's got to be it. What are you going to do when your opponent doesn't make unforced errors, or makes them only rarely? Lose, that's what.
The one valid situation that I can imagine that would justify soft breaking must satisfy four criteria...

1) For some reason you cannot make a ball on the break at that table after repeated tries.
2) Your opponent has no problem making a ball on the break.
3) Your opponent can easily run out an open table.
4) You are a better mover than your opponent.

If any of the four criteria aren't met, you might as well smash the rack since a safety break would not help your situation.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The one valid situation that I can imagine that would justify soft breaking must satisfy four criteria...

1) For some reason you cannot make a ball on the break at that table after repeated tries.
2) Your opponent has no problem making a ball on the break.
3) Your opponent can easily run out an open table.
4) You are a better mover than your opponent.

If any of the four criteria aren't met, you might as well smash the rack since a safety break would not help your situation.

In Vegas about 6/7 years ago. I was playing this young guy, maybe 18/19 years old, who made every open shot he could see. My break wasn't working and he was running out like water when given the opportunity.
So, looking above to your criteria....#1, #3 and #4(in my mind) all came to play.
I managed to tie the score at 4-4 and it was my break for the final game. I decided to do the 2nd ball break and played the speed to come off the side rail and back into the stack. I probably hit the break at 12/13 MPH. It was a legal break with enough balls hitting the rails and the cue ball nestled into the stack perfectly. He had no shot from there.
His Uncle was watching the match along with a close friend of mine. The kid turned to his Uncle and said WTF was that? He studied the rack for a bit and went for a flyer, missing for almost the first time in the match. I made a couple balls and played another lock up safety, giving him absolutely nothing to shoot at. During that inning I managed to knock a couple more of my balls into the open before the safety. The kids body language showed anger and complete disgust for the whole game I was playing.
He attempted a kick, giving me the table back. I proceeded to win that game and the match 5-4. Afterward he quickly shook my hand but started talking to his Uncle about the BS style of play. His Uncle told em "it was all legal and within the rules, you just need to learn more about 8ball". It was priceless when his Uncle shook my hand and said "good match".
Anyhoo, sometimes you need to adjust a bit in order to pull out the win. It's not always about smashing them hard and running out.