85 years ago

saddlebow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brunswick Balke Collender ran this ad in Literary Digest Magazine in March 1926.
Sorry for the bad pic. Next one is the text on the right side, written by a juvenile court judge in Denver. Times have changed...

Attachments

• photo1bb.jpg
    photo1bb.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 283

saddlebow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"What on earth are we to do?"

Here's the text from the ad. Does anyone collect or catalogue old ad copy like this?

Attachments

• photo-4.jpg
    photo-4.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 280

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OMG, a juvenile court judge, no less. Wow! :cool:

I remember reading in the BCA Rule Book, I think it was, that pocket billiards was used as a training tool for astronauts to help them with their hand-and-eye coordination before flying in outer space.

Matt Damon and Ben Affleck created a movie production company called LivePlanet, thanks to a deal they had with Disney. They had a room set up for a pool table that employees could use while they were brainstorming. Matt and Ben both play pool and do make cameo appearances at various pool charity events today. :smile:

It would be nice if pool got a boost from people who have the resources to create something to catch the attention of mainstream America, much like the movie "The Color of Money" and "The Hustler" did. If Matt Damon could do for pool what "Rounders" did for poker by way of film, I am confident it would be a brilliant success. :p

Pool needs to shake its image of the smoked-filled opium den frequented by scallywags and scoundrels. If one of these popular celebrities decided to tackle pool in a documentary-type project, I believe it possibly could give pool a new image. ;)

The prevalence of pool action really died with the advent of Internet technology. There seems to be a conflict, though, between today's tournament soldier image and action players. Though gambling seems to be pool's dirty little secret, frowned upon by pool purists, it sure as heck seems to have become a societal norm thanks to the prominence of poker as an accepted sport. I mean, if they did it with poker, why not pool?!

Attachments

• 0622-dogs-poker-exd-getty-credit.jpg
    0622-dogs-poker-exd-getty-credit.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 201

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about this poster! I wonder was year this came out. :smile:

Attachments

• Pocket-Billiards-for-Healthful-Recreation.jpg
    Pocket-Billiards-for-Healthful-Recreation.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 186

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've traveled around the country and seen many a pool room. Personally, I prefer the ones that do *not* serve alcohol, but in order to make ends meet today for business owners, they gotta do what they gotta do.

Check out this old photo of an Atlantic City pool room from the '50s. Read the signage and look at how everybody is dressed. :p

Here's the article about the pool room today: Northfield Man Brings Egg Harbor Township Pool Hall Back to Life. [Retrieved 8 September 2011]

This pool room was recently purchased and brought back to life. I'm sure the entire scene there looks different today than this photo reveals, though for some reason, this old black-and-white gives me a feeling of safety.

Attachments

• 4e051709b9657.image[1][1].jpg
    4e051709b9657.image[1][1].jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 324

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The lighting and seats at Ross Billiard Academy are not appealing to me. In this regard, technology has really helped pool advance. I can't imagine sweating a one-pocket match all night sitting on those hard benches, and my eyes would really burn after a while being in that lighting. :embarrassed2:

Attachments

• 4e0517078bac3.image[1][1].jpg
    4e0517078bac3.image[1][1].jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 348
Last edited: