9-ball Push Out

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reading u on 9-ball rules in the BCA rule book (WPA WSR), but I don't understand excatly what happens in a pushout. I understand it only happens after a break if the breaker makes a ball but then is stuck on his next shot. How exactly does it work?

I ask because I want to put on a 9-ball tourney next month, and want to understand the rule properly, and whether or not to allow it.

tatcat2000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On the first shot after a break without a foul, the player may play a push out. On a push-out, you do not have to contact the lowest numbered ball first, nor do you have to contact any ball at all. If you do contact a ball, you do not have to contact a rail after that. In short, on a push out Rules 6.2 and 6.3 are suspended. If the 9-ball is pocketed on a push-out it is spotted.

After the push-out, the incoming player may take accept the table in position or require the player who executed the push-out to shoot again.

There are no conditions about making a ball on the break or being hooked. The only condition is that there is no foul on the break. If there is a foul on the break, the incoming player has ball in hand and may not play a push-out.

Find the rules here

http://wpa-pool.com/web/the_rules_of_play

and study! Good luck!

Buddy

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reading u on 9-ball rules in the BCA rule book (WPA WSR), but I don't understand excatly what happens in a pushout. I understand it only happens after a break if the breaker makes a ball but then is stuck on his next shot. How exactly does it work?

I ask because I want to put on a 9-ball tourney next month, and want to understand the rule properly, and whether or not to allow it.

The breaker does not need to make a ball, nor does he have to be "stuck" on the next shot. You can make a ball, and be able to see the next shot but can push out if you don't think you can get anything good from shooting. If the breaker does not make a ball, the incoming player can push out as his first shot if he can see the first ball or not.

Not allowing the rule is silly unless you also take away the 3 foul rule. Otherwise you end up where the breaker makes nothing, the incoming player has to kick or something, and could end up on 1 foul already just because the other guy did not sink a ball. You're punishing the other player because the breaker did not sink a ball.

I would also take away 9 on the break as a win, at least not in the lower 2 pockets. With people that don't know how to play or rack well that 9 ball will shoot towards a corner pocket almost every time.