A breif Tony Ellin story

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
It was in 1994 at Brass Tap in Raleigh NC
I was young and at the time still a drinker. I drove up there just to meet and watch the pros play. I met Tony there and he was as friendly as anyone I had ever met. While watching Tony play in a somewhat very buzzed state, I found myself in a deep focus watching him play. He was down on a ball and I was setting right at the end of the table he was playing on and in his line of sight. As I was watching him he stood up and then got down on the ball again . When he did he looked straight at me while down on the ball and stopped and smiled real big. At that point I finally realized every time he got down on that ball I was unconsciously making eye contact with him. He was truly a great sport and gentleman of the game. I met him a few times after that and he carried that great personality with him everytime I was blessed enough to talk to him. This story may be lame to some but one I will never forget. I also had my first encounter with Earl that day but I will save that for another day
 
It was in 1994 at Brass Tap in Raleigh NC
I was young and at the time still a drinker. I drove up there just to meet and watch the pros play. I met Tony there and he was as friendly as anyone I had ever met. While watching Tony play in a somewhat very buzzed state, I found myself in a deep focus watching him play. He was down on a ball and I was setting right at the end of the table he was playing on and in his line of sight. As I was watching him he stood up and then got down on the ball again . When he did he looked straight at me while down on the ball and stopped and smiled real big. At that point I finally realized every time he got down on that ball I was unconsciously making eye contact with him. He was truly a great sport and gentleman of the game. I met him a few times after that and he carried that great personality with him everytime I was blessed enough to talk to him. This story may be lame to some but one I will never forget. I also had my first encounter with Earl that day but I will save that for another day

Thanks for sharing. I like reading happy pool tales. :cool:

I never met Tony Ellin, but I hear he was really good pool peeps! :smile:
 
Thanks for sharing. I like reading happy pool tales. :cool:

I never met Tony Ellin, but I hear he was really good pool peeps! :smile:

Tony had a great personality and was a great role model for any player or person. That was a devastating loss to pool and mankind alike
 
It was in 1994 at Brass Tap in Raleigh NC
I was young and at the time still a drinker. I drove up there just to meet and watch the pros play. I met Tony there and he was as friendly as anyone I had ever met. While watching Tony play in a somewhat very buzzed state, I found myself in a deep focus watching him play. He was down on a ball and I was setting right at the end of the table he was playing on and in his line of sight. As I was watching him he stood up and then got down on the ball again . When he did he looked straight at me while down on the ball and stopped and smiled real big. At that point I finally realized every time he got down on that ball I was unconsciously making eye contact with him. He was truly a great sport and gentleman of the game. I met him a few times after that and he carried that great personality with him everytime I was blessed enough to talk to him. This story may be lame to some but one I will never forget. I also had my first encounter with Earl that day but I will save that for another day
Great story.

My only story about the great Tony Ellin was watching him practice some shots where the object ball is frozen on the cushion and the cut was very nearly straight in. He would rifle them it with a TON of inside english spinning smoothly three rails around the table for shape.

I think that's the first tournament I ever watched the elite professionals live playing 9-ball and it's when I had that "aha" moment realizing that professionals don't shy away from using extreme english at any moment, if it's the right shot.

Freddie <~~~ extremely impressed with the late Hurricane Tony Ellin
 
Back
Top