A couple of Ferrule questions

td1223

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been reading all the threads and unfortunately I can't find any videos so here goes.

1) When replacing a cracked ferrule how do you remove it? I did one and gently trimmed it down on my late until I could see the threads. Then I peeled the material and retapped the threads. I read some posts where people heat and remove with pliers. How do you do it?

2) Several posts talk about sealing the ferrules with CA. I'm curious how you do this? Do you spin the shaft n the lathe, use a brush....? How do you get it smooth?

Thanks

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I have never had good luck with removing ferrules with heat. I always have to cut them off & chase the threads, which isn't a big deal. As for sealing with CA, I find that using thin CA and leveling it out with a piece of cardboard works fine. It doesn't take much, just enough to fill the pores & coat the surface.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I do the heat trick, BUT it only will work of ferrule materials that don't melt with heat, such as Phenolic and LBM. It is tricky to do as the tenon can be snapped off if the glue hasn't released yet and you try to twist the ferrule off. You have to get the feel as to how much force to use. It also only works on threaded ferrules, if you try to twist a ferrule that is sleeved and has ridges molded inside, you will snap the tenon off. It's safer to machine it off and chase or file the threads to clean them, imo.
Dave