a few one pocket spot questions

crabbcatjohn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, a guy offers me a one ball spot. What should the ball count for each guy be for a true one ball spot? I beat the guy at the agreed spot which i felt was less than a ball. He gets mad and says jack the bet and I'll give you 2 balls. What should each guy go to with a one ball spot and a 2 ball spot...
Last question. I'm playing a guy 9-8. He refuses to put up a coin for his spot ball saying that he plays bank all the time and he feels he doesn't need to put up a coin and he will spot his ball when he makes one. He says in bank its not normal to put up a coin for a spot ball so he doesn't want to get confused. Now he scratches and doesn't mind putting a coin for a scratch but still refuses to put up a coin for his 9-8 spot ball. Keep in mind this guy is a world class bank pool player... I called BS, but put up with his BS so i could take down the game which i did. What do you think? If a guy is playing you 9-8, should he always start out with a coin on the rail or is this open for interpretation...

Anytime a guy owes a ball a coin is put up.....your getting 9-8...means he owes a ball...coin goes up to start the game.

Don't you have info on a Centennial table for sell?
I maybe interested if you would give me a call please.

770-548-4292
Mark Gregory

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's my take on your questions:

1) Any time the total number of balls exceeds 16, the person who goes the highest should put coins up because the balls are owed. So if the spot is 9-8 the person going to 9 owes a ball and should put a coin up (10-8 2 coins; 11-7 2 coins, etc.).

2) I think that 8-7 is 1 ball spot, 9-8 is a 1/2 ball spot. 8-6 is a two ball spot, 9-7 is a ball & a half, 10-8 is like a one ball spot. But all this depends on whether I'm getting the spot or my opponent :).

Dave

crabbcatjohn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks

1) Any time the total number of balls exceeds 16, the person who goes the highest should put coins up because the balls are owed. So if the spot is 9-8 the person going to 9 owes a ball and should put a coin up (10-8 2 coins; 11-7 2 coins, etc.).

2) I think that 8-7 is 1 ball spot, 9-8 is a 1/2 ball spot. 8-6 is a two ball spot, 9-7 is a ball & a half, 10-8 is like a one ball spot. But all this depends on whether I'm getting the spot or my opponent :).

Dave

Thanks Dave. That was my take on it also. A good friend had a little different take on the spots. And he is a long time player who has played a lot... I've only been playing it a few years. It was his opinion anytime you were getting say 9-8 you were'nt really getting a spot because you had to go to 8 anyway, he prefered to think the guy offering the spot was just handicapping his game as a ball better... He refused to think of it in terms of ball spots unless you were going less than 8. didn't make much sense to me in real terms but he does think outside the box.
The thing thats kind of funny is my friend also said the jerkoff who wouldn't put up his coin wasn't totally wrong if he didn't want to put up his coin for the spot ball which was kind of strange... BTW, i don't know if you remember me but this is John Crabb i used to live down in CO Springs years ago. Thanks again. john

eddie0776

Bishop Cues
Silver Member

Dave

always use a coin! as far as the spot goes, to me it depends on who is breaking. on their break you need another ball.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ok, a guy offers me a one ball spot. What should the ball count for each guy be for a true one ball spot? I beat the guy at the agreed spot which i felt was less than a ball. He gets mad and says jack the bet and I'll give you 2 balls. What should each guy go to with a one ball spot and a 2 ball spot...
Last question. I'm playing a guy 9-8. He refuses to put up a coin for his spot ball saying that he plays bank all the time and he feels he doesn't need to put up a coin and he will spot his ball when he makes one. He says in bank its not normal to put up a coin for a spot ball so he doesn't want to get confused. Now he scratches and doesn't mind putting a coin for a scratch but still refuses to put up a coin for his 9-8 spot ball. Keep in mind this guy is a world class bank pool player... I called BS, but put up with his BS so i could take down the game which i did. What do you think? If a guy is playing you 9-8, should he always start out with a coin on the rail or is this open for interpretation...
If the total number of balls is greater than 16, someone (anyone needing more than 8) has to put coins up.

If the number is not higher than 16 ( say the spot was 9-7 or 10-6) then no coin is needed.

In your case, he must put a coin up as if he owes a ball.

If the game were 20-10 (Justin Cone vs Grady Mathews), one guy is putting up 12 coins and the other is putting up 2.

Freddie <~~~ who has 12 coins in their pocket?

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

He's not playing banks, he's playing 1pocket -- he should put up the coin or perhaps you should put one up for him.

8-7 is a ball spot, but I suppose some guys would argue 9-8 is also a ball spot, though not really. I don't agree with the thought that 9-8 is not really a spot because you'd have to go to 8 anyway. That's kinda like saying getting the breaks isn't a spot because you would otherwise be breaking half the time. Both spots are an edge, just not as big an edge as people will try and lead you to believe :)

Lou Figueroa

Eddie May

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Dave. That was my take on it also. A good friend had a little different take on the spots. And he is a long time player who has played a lot... I've only been playing it a few years. It was his opinion anytime you were getting say 9-8 you were'nt really getting a spot because you had to go to 8 anyway, he prefered to think the guy offering the spot was just handicapping his game as a ball better... He refused to think of it in terms of ball spots unless you were going less than 8. didn't make much sense to me in real terms but he does think outside the box.
The thing thats kind of funny is my friend also said the jerkoff who wouldn't put up his coin wasn't totally wrong if he didn't want to put up his coin for the spot ball which was kind of strange... BTW, i don't know if you remember me but this is John Crabb i used to live down in CO Springs years ago. Thanks again. john

There is no rule in which is states that he HAS TO put up a coin, of course putting up a coin in commen practice, but not required. If the player was really being a jagbag about it what I would personally do is say "ok if you're not going to keep track than I will under the rail." Put a coin 1 diamond out from center twords his pocket and move it to the center after he spots. If its under the rail he can't cry about it "messing up" his bank pool stuff.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If the total number of balls is greater than 16, someone (anyone needing more than 8) has to put coins up.

If the number is not higher than 16 ( say the spot was 9-7 or 10-6) then no coin is needed.

In your case, he must put a coin up as if he owes a ball.

If the game was 20-10 (Justin Cone vs Grady Mathews), one guy is putting up 12 coins and the other is putting up 2.

Freddie <~~~ who has 12 coins in their pocket?

Of course you are right. :)

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

John,

Sorry, I do not remember your name, but I moved to Fort Collins in 2001 so we may not have crossed paths. If we did and I am just showing my age, HI!

Dave

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is no rule in which is states that he HAS TO put up a coin, of course putting up a coin in commen practice, but not required. If the player was really being a jagbag about it what I would personally do is say "ok if you're not going to keep track than I will under the rail." Put a coin 1 diamond out from center twords his pocket and move it to the center after he spots. If its under the rail he can't cry about it "messing up" his bank pool stuff.

Official One Pocket Rules

©2005 OnePocket.org

Adopted by OnePocket.org 1-19-05*

Unless clearly contradicted below, general pocket billiards rules of play and etiquette apply to One Pocket, and complete General Rules are available from the World Pool-Billiard Association (WPA).

Common ‘house rule’ variations are noted in italics.

6.4 If the offending player has no balls to spot, then they will owe one for each such scratch, which must be repaid by spotting at the end of the first inning or innings in which they score. All owed balls must be repaid before any pocketed balls count towards a player's game score.

Typically, any owed scratches are indicated by placement of a small coin on the rail top adjacent to the offending player's pocket. An additional coin is placed to represent each additional scratch without a scored ball to spot. One coin is removed for each owed ball repaid by spotting at the end of the first inning or innings in which they are scored, until all owed scratches have been repaid, and standard scoring can commence.

Lou Figueroa

Eddie May

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Official One Pocket Rules

©2005 OnePocket.org

Adopted by OnePocket.org 1-19-05*

Unless clearly contradicted below, general pocket billiards rules of play and etiquette apply to One Pocket, and complete General Rules are available from the World Pool-Billiard Association (WPA).

Common ‘house rule’ variations are noted in italics.

6.4 If the offending player has no balls to spot, then they will owe one for each such scratch, which must be repaid by spotting at the end of the first inning or innings in which they score. All owed balls must be repaid before any pocketed balls count towards a player's game score.

Typically, any owed scratches are indicated by placement of a small coin on the rail top adjacent to the offending player's pocket. An additional coin is placed to represent each additional scratch without a scored ball to spot. One coin is removed for each owed ball repaid by spotting at the end of the first inning or innings in which they are scored, until all owed scratches have been repaid, and standard scoring can commence.

Lou Figueroa

As I stated in my post..... There is no rule saying he HAS TO. Hence to words "typically". I am not arguing that the coin way is used 99.99% of the time, but if someone really wants to be a stickler you can't really tell them that they HAVE to do it.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I stated in my post..... There is no rule saying he HAS TO. Hence to words "typically". I am not arguing that the coin way is used 99.99% of the time, but if someone really wants to be a stickler you can't really tell them that they HAVE to do it.

I made no argument and only posted what is in the rules.

Lou Figueroa

crabbcatjohn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
great idea

Yes he is one. Great idea! This idea would also get my point accross without letting him out of the game... lol

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes he is one. Great idea! This idea would also get my point accross without letting him out of the game... lol

All this reminds me of something funny I saw happen at Tunica. I was playing Kiamco and across the tournament room a few tables away I could watch another AZer playing Earl. As I recall, Strickland scratched but wouldn't put up a coin, saying something like he'd never slept a ball in his life. So the other AZer says fine. A few shots later Earl runs 8 and the AZer gets up out of his chair and rakes the balls... and then... remembers... Earl needed to go to 9 because of the scratch (I think he went to the scorer's table to get a ruling to no avail).

I'm not sure what the moral of the story is other than: a coin helps remind *both guys* about the scratch and owed ball :)

Lou Figueroa

crabbcatjohn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
marking his owed ball

He's not playing banks, he's playing 1pocket -- he should put up the coin or perhaps you should put one up for him.8-7 is a ball spot, but I suppose some guys would argue 9-8 is also a ball spot, though not really. I don't agree with the thought that 9-8 is not really a spot because you'd have to go to 8 anyway. That's kinda like saying getting the breaks isn't a spot because you would otherwise be breaking half the time. Both spots are an edge, just not as big an edge as people will try and lead you to believe :)

Lou Figueroa

I like this idea too! If we play again i might just walk over before the game and put a penny in front of his hole. He would go through the roof! it would be something to see to say the least! lol Great story Lou, this guy acts out just like Earl and i know the very first game we played after the coin discussion...he messed up and i got screwed out of a ball..

Last edited: