A good break is in your technique!

Apocalypse2017

Welcome to the resistance
Silver Member

Well I saw this post yesterday and decided to play some 9 ball last night. WOW I had great results breaking with my playing cue:eek: Using the soft break from the side of the table I was getting a great spread, making a ball about 75% of the time. I think I'll save my breaking cue for 8 ball.:thumbup: Also reading blackjack's book about 9 ball has greatly improved my game.

Quatsch83

Learner
Silver Member
Well I saw this post yesterday and decided to play some 9 ball last night. WOW I had great results breaking with my playing cue:eek: Using the soft break from the side of the table I was getting a great spread, making a ball about 75% of the time. I think I'll save my breaking cue for 8 ball.:thumbup: Also reading blackjack's book about 9 ball has greatly improved my game.

Which book is this? Just curious. Thanks.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Good list. FYI, there is a lot of good break-technique advice, and links to videos and other resources, here:

Regards,
Dave

Want to know how to break good at 9 Ball or 10 ball?

Well, a good break cue doesn't hurt - but isn't necessary. In fact, I can't control the cue ball as well with it.

A "great" break is in the technique!

Here are a few things I learned personally from Jimmy Reid (in his old house in TN) that really helped my break tremendously.

1. Keep your grip hand LOOSE!

2. Keep your grip hand LOOSE!

3. You want to aim to hit the one ball solid (regardless of the breaking angle).

4. You take your warm up strokes.

5. Keep your grip hand LOOSE!

6. You pull back the cue tip before executing the shot and pause.

7. Keep your grip hand LOOSE!

8. Look at the cue ball LAST (not the one ball).

9. Follow through on the cue ball and keeping your grip hand loose.

10. Last but not lease, you want to think of it as not "hitting" the rack - but SLAPPING the rack with the cue ball.

I broke with a SLEDGEHAMMER for a year - but I'm back to breaking with my playing cue and I like it much better. Now all I need is a jump cue.

I hope this helps someone!

stormshadow1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great thread.

Great advice from everyone.I can't wait to go hit some balls right now!This is one of those great threads that makes you just want to go and break some racks right after you read it!!!Off to the pool room asap!!:cool:

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Want to know how to break good at 9 Ball or 10 ball?

Well, a good break cue doesn't hurt - but isn't necessary. In fact, I can't control the cue ball as well with it.

A "great" break is in the technique!

Here are a few things I learned personally from Jimmy Reid (in his old house in TN) that really helped my break tremendously.

1. Keep your grip hand LOOSE!

2. Keep your grip hand LOOSE!

3. You want to aim to hit the one ball solid (regardless of the breaking angle).

4. You take your warm up strokes.

5. Keep your grip hand LOOSE!

6. You pull back the cue tip before executing the shot and pause.

7. Keep your grip hand LOOSE!

8. Look at the cue ball LAST (not the one ball).

9. Follow through on the cue ball and keeping your grip hand loose.

10. Last but not lease, you want to think of it as not "hitting" the rack - but SLAPPING the rack with the cue ball.

I broke with a SLEDGEHAMMER for a year - but I'm back to breaking with my playing cue and I like it much better. Now all I need is a jump cue.

I hope this helps someone!

I was curious if he said anything about keeping your grip loose? ;)