A message from Steve Price, case maker.

steveinflorida

Silver Member
I have added my phone number to my signature. I just do not have enough time to get to my e-mails and PM's and since I have a
hands free phone in the shop I think this is the way to go. So, if you have a questions about my cases or want to order one or just
check on a case you have on order, please feel free to call me anytime between the hours of 8 AM and 10 PM. Est. If I am not
available, leave a message and I WILL get back to you.
Thanks, Steve

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice job JB

I think I had most of those pics on my hard drive already from studying Mr Price's cases. I love his work.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, you deserve the attention.

When I first stumbled upon your cases I was looking at and studying case design. I am sure I had seen them before but I was looking with "new eyes" at cases since I was very concerned with their design and construction. The artistry of tooling was not on my mind at all. That's when your cases jumped out at me.

I will be candid and say that I contacted JB and asked what he thought of the cases. His response was concise and reflected very much what I find that he says here in these forums. Like it or not his voice has become the most prominent one here regarding case design so I value his insight. In short, it was nothing but praise.

A cue case is a case first. Very often it is a canvass for art as well. But it is still a case first. The laconic nature of your cases leaves the construction at the front. I don't see the replication of the designs of others anywhere in your cases. They are truly original. I think this says a lot about a case and it's maker.

Your background had been unknown to me. I read that you are retired law enforcement. Thank you for your service. Beyond that I was fascinated to learn you had been encouraged by Dan Janes and Bill Stroud in the early days of JOSS. That time and place is one of the historic "hubs" in the history of cue making and you were there. I cannot help but think that the early exposure to those great men at that time must have been a huge influence. I see the simplicity of the "form follows function" design of your cases as reflecting in a way those early cues. They were and are true billiard instruments and are still highly regarded as playing cues. Your cases, I am sure, will always be viewed as superior cases in function as well.

I am working on making some cases, slowly building the skills I need. Whenever I feel overwhelmed by the complexity I look at your cases and see the exquisite simplicity of construction. You help keep me grounded as I move forward.

Bigger hat size? Ok....maybe....but it is well deserved praise. :thumbup:

Somehow I suspect your hat size is stable though........

Last edited:

steveinflorida

Silver Member
Thank you very much for your kind words. I truly appreciate it.
I just try to stay within my comfort zone when it comes to building
a case. Your reply is very flattering and I am going to make a copy and hang it in my shop. Good luck with your case making. And if by some chance there is anything I can do to help, let me know.Again, thank you.

As for John Barton, the man has designed, engineered, manufactured
and sold more leather cue cases than anyone on earth by far. He has come up with more innovations then can be listed here. And yet, he is always encouraging, complimentary and even helpful to other case makers.
I think this says a lot about the mans character. Yes,John is very passionate about his beliefs, however, I find no fault with that.
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
Steve

Last edited: