A reality check on aiming systems of all kinds

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It probably won't be able to. Unless you program in stereoscopic vision and set it up to account for the biomechanical reactions to visual input as a human experiences them when processing aiming system instructions.

The good part is that it doesn't need to. We have other ways to program sensors and chips that can precisely locate all targets and calculate all pathways.

The interesting question I would have is whether a player can use CTE (or other objective aiming systems) in an app like Virtual Pool IF the player is wearing a VR headset and if the game is set up for VR. Programatically, there would be no coding for aiming systems other than ghost ball. In that situation ghost ball becomes the most objective when it is turned on and used. I have a pretty good VR rig. I will see if there are any pool games for it.

Edit, found one that might work
Software can compute ghostball unlike people. Conversely software cannot compute a shot from CTE. It needs to know the shot and backwards engineer the CTE. Um, just like people.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I promise you that it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that you fidget like Pat Johnson does. One of these days I might release the video I have of Pat's fidgeting...... probably not because I told him I wouldn't AND it's on a hard drive in drawer somewhere and not worth looking for.
Possibly not, but I do adjust when down on the ball. Any adjustment could be considered "fidgiting" by someone that's isnt in the shooter's head and thereby fully aware of what's being done.
What do you think doing it with purpose means? any aiming is done with purpose. This method is the complete opposite of fidgeting. It is a DELIBERATE, focused, instructed, objective, methodical way to go from standing to ball address and be confident that you are dead nuts perfect on the shot line. The steps I described require no guessing other than when learning there will be times when a student is unsure of which perception+sweep is the correct one between 2 objective choices but once that is learned for the shot type then it's a clear objective choice.
You answered the question for me in the second sentence. "With purpose" = "deliberate" (<-forgive the lack of internet shouting ;)).
Any aiming process involves guessing, regardless of the method. Unless you have a horizontal ruler etched on the surface of your eyeballs, which also accounts for depth preception. You're guessing.... I won't argue against you choice of aiming method for producing a greatly likelyhood of "successful guess" say versus the GB method. Simply because I don't know the correct way to use CTE, so I don't have a leg to stand on. I do feel confident in thinking that CTE works extremely well for you, so there's no need to go beyond that.

It could very well be that if I learned the CTE system, that I may never miss another shot. However, my game is so ingrained at this point that I have zero interest fully applying a new method. Member 'Genomachine' of "PerfectAim" fame, provide me a free skype lesson a while back which I at first declined. I did eventually take him up on the offer simply out of his persistence and my respect for his effort. Knowing full well that I wouldn't adopt anything he showed me. Sure enough he walked me through his eye dominance drills and spotted "flaws" (if you will) in my aiming process. Even though I didn't miss a single ball he asked me to make. He made some suggestions and they removed some of my "fidgiting" I wasn't even aware I was doing. Did I make any more balls...?.., well you can't make more than 100%...lol. It did resolve some inner turmoil in my game, but at the expense of throwing out +30yrs of PSR habit, and my natural cueing method. Simply not worth the miniscule gains.

I'm willing to bet that coffee I mentioned a while back that adpoting something like or CTE specifically, wouldn't warrant the reconstruction of my game either. I won't discount it as a viable method for those who struggle with say the ghost ball. Just that when I needed something to get me going in billiards back in my teens, I didn't have any struggles using the ghost method, and "fidgiting" with purpose is just a natural part of settling into a shot. Hell, some players take a few wild loopy practice strokes before the gentlest shots. Makes zero sense, but whatever works I suppose

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Possibly not, but I do adjust when down on the ball. Any adjustment could be considered "fidgiting" by someone that's isnt in the shooter's head and thereby fully aware of what's being done.

You answered the question for me in the second sentence. "With purpose" = "deliberate" (<-forgive the lack of internet shouting ;)).
Any aiming process involves guessing, regardless of the method. Unless you have a horizontal ruler etched on the surface of your eyeballs, which also accounts for depth preception. You're guessing.... I won't argue against you choice of aiming method for producing a greatly likelyhood of "successful guess" say versus the GB method. Simply because I don't know the correct way to use CTE, so I don't have a leg to stand on. I do feel confident in thinking that CTE works extremely well for you, so there's no need to go beyond that.

It could very well be that if I learned the CTE system, that I may never miss another shot. However, my game is so ingrained at this point that I have zero interest fully applying a new method. Member 'Genomachine' of "PerfectAim" fame, provide me a free skype lesson a while back which I at first declined. I did eventually take him up on the offer simply out of his persistence and my respect for his effort. Knowing full well that I wouldn't adopt anything he showed me. Sure enough he walked me through his eye dominance drills and spotted "flaws" (if you will) in my aiming process. Even though I didn't miss a single ball he asked me to make. He made some suggestions and they removed some of my "fidgiting" I wasn't even aware I was doing. Did I make any more balls...?.., well you can't make more than 100%...lol. It did resolve some inner turmoil in my game, but at the expense of throwing out +30yrs of PSR habit, and my natural cueing method. Simply not worth the miniscule gains.

I'm willing to bet that coffee I mentioned a while back that adpoting something like or CTE specifically, wouldn't warrant the reconstruction of my game either. I won't discount it as a viable method for those who struggle with say the ghost ball. Just that when I needed something to get me going in billiards back in my teens, I didn't have any struggles using the ghost method, and "fidgiting" with purpose is just a natural part of settling into a shot. Hell, some players take a few wild loopy practice strokes before the gentlest shots. Makes zero sense, but whatever works I suppose
What guessing is part of the process I described. At every step there is an objective reference point to identify and align to.

Please understand that my intention here is not to convince you to adopt anything else. But your comments, at least early on, were directed towards claiming that GB is "enough" and no need to teach anything else in general. That's how I read it and if so then I firmly disagree.

If something isn't broken then don't fix it. If I were able to score 100% on all pocketing tests as you seem to be able to do then I would consider aiming fully handled for myself.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Software can compute ghostball unlike people. Conversely software cannot compute a shot from CTE. It needs to know the shot and backwards engineer the CTE. Um, just like people.
Please show us your software that computes CTE. Since you don't know CTE I think that would be extremely hard for you to produce.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please show us your software that computes CTE. Since you don't know CTE I think that would be extremely hard for you to produce.
This am wut I roted:
Conversely software cannot compute a shot from CTE. It needs to know the shot and backwards engineer the CTE. Um, just like people.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
What guessing is part of the process I described. At every step there is an objective reference point to identify and align to.
You 'guess' what the center of the CB is. Unless it's marked on the ball, you're making a best guess at determining the center. You know where it should be, but it's still a guess. No different although less extreme as your attempt to guess to where the center of the GB would be in your video a while back. You're also guessing to what the edge of the OB is. Unless you have perfect vision for the distance you're at and have razor sharp image to focus on. I'm not doubting your theory, it just the practical application isn't absolute. There's still guess work. We are still human regardless of the aiming system. You can't discount the human element.

Please understand that my intention here is not to convince you to adopt anything else. But your comments, at least early on, were directed towards claiming that GB is "enough" and no need to teach anything else in general. That's how I read it and if so then I firmly disagree.
I'm not sure is I said "enough" at any point. However I will say now that it's a perfectly fine method for aiming, and is in working practice successfully for countless players. Can those same players benefit from something else as well...?..., possibly. I can't speak for them. I can say that I didn't need anything else beyond practice when using the GB.
If something isn't broken then don't fix it. If I were able to score 100% on all pocketing tests as you seem to be able to do then I would consider aiming fully handled for myself.
Since we have the ability to be quoted along the way, there's no need to put words in my mouth. I didn't say I scored "100% on all pocketing tests". I said I didn't miss a ball on the shots GenoMachino asked me to perform when gauging my eye dominance. Wildly different when pulled out of context. There weren't many shots, and most weren't difficult at all. I'm assuming they were designed to highlight aiming/sighting tendencies, not gauge my skill level.

I miss tons of shots. I'm no different then any amatuer player. However, I don't believe the bulk of my issues are due to inadequate aiming. More so the other complications most experience with a lack of concentration, pattern play, etc....

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
You 'guess' what the center of the CB is. Unless it's marked on the ball, you're making a best guess at determining the center. You know where it should be, but it's still a guess. No different although less extreme as your attempt to guess to where the center of the GB would be in your video a while back. You're also guessing to what the edge of the OB is. Unless you have perfect vision for the distance you're at and have razor sharp image to focus on. I'm not doubting your theory, it just the practical application isn't absolute. There's still guess work. We are still human regardless of the aiming system. You can't discount the human element.
No, I identify the center by gravity. A sphere is a circle that rests on it's exact center when sitting motionless on a level plane. The center line of a ball sitting on the table is possibly the most objective reference that there is.

When we say objective we don't say fraction of a millimeter precise. We mean that there are fixed parts of the object which are used for orientation.

In other words, if you tell people who have never played pool before in their lives to align a pool cue so that it would sever a pool ball into two equal halves most people would be able to do this without any further instruction. And by sever this i mean that the center line of the cue would be pointing at the centerline of the cue ball within a fraction of a millimeter. It is not necessary to instruct them to be exactly 28.51 mm from the edge. They will mostly be close enough that the task is acceptably performed for all practical purposes.

That means that the reference is sufficiently objective as to produce super consistent results for that task. How it translates for center to edge aiming in particular is that the guesswork is reduced to the point of practical non-existence. Or to put it another way, I go through every step without guessing or estimating. I am not looking at the edge of the cueball and trying to guess where 1.125" from that edge is, in any direction.

I'm not sure is I said "enough" at any point. However I will say now that it's a perfectly fine method for aiming, and is in working practice successfully for countless players. Can those same players benefit from something else as well...?..., possibly. I can't speak for them. I can say that I didn't need anything else beyond practice when using the GB.

Since we have the ability to be quoted along the way, there's no need to put words in my mouth. I didn't say I scored "100% on all pocketing tests". I said I didn't miss a ball on the shots GenoMachino asked me to perform when gauging my eye dominance. Wildly different when pulled out of context. There weren't many shots, and most weren't difficult at all. I'm assuming they were designed to highlight aiming/sighting tendencies, not gauge my skill level.

I was speaking tongue in cheek while trying to convey to you that the overriding sentiment should be that there is likely to always be room for improvement.

If a person were to devise a comprehensive aiming test and I ace it then clearly whatever I am doing is working. But without such a test assessment of your ability to aim and mine are both anecdotal.

I use Dr. Dave's Billiard University test to gauge skill and improvement. There are several others that are good, Colin Colenso's pocketing test, the Playing Ability Test and so on.

On the Colin Colenso test cte users were most of the top performers if I remember correctly.

Here is me doing a drill to test out CTE against it. And this is when I was using an even more basic form of CTE.

I miss tons of shots. I'm no different then any amatuer player. However, I don't believe the bulk of my issues are due to inadequate aiming. More so the other complications most experience with a lack of concentration, pattern play, etc....
You might be right. Or you might be wrong. Or it could be that part of the issue is aiming and part fundamentals. You will surely never ever know if you don't ever learn any other way to aim.

The whole point of objective aiming is that guessing is reduced so much that uncertainty in alignment to the shot is near zero.

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
This am wut I roted:
Conversely software cannot compute a shot from CTE. It needs to know the shot and backwards engineer the CTE. Um, just like people.
What do you think backwards engineering the shot means?

This is where you are so wrong. With cte I can take a beginner and teach them the system and then subsequently tell them the aiming perception (I prefer to call it a key) for shots they have never practiced in their lives and they will have an excellent chance at making the shot.

For a skilled player the chance to make the shot would be way better than 80% in my opinion.

In fact I would even go so far to say that the beginner could do the aiming using the key they were given and a high skilled player takes the shot to pretty much eliminate the fundamentals variable and the pocketing success would also be 80% or better.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I will say that guy in the first video back there sure shot a crappy out. He's like Cinch To Ensure. Didn't watch beyond that. Most pool will be played on tables sans all the road dots too. You and all the Chime To Enforce guys seem to want forge the notion that the flag bearers' straight shooting confirms rhetoric. The tack is more like congress than intelligent discussion.
Sorry but you make no sense. Doesn't matter what you think the point is that he got out without any fidgeting.

The point that was made is that cte users have fidgety movement when down on the ball. The videos I posted contradict that assertion.

We are fully clear that just because a person shoots straight out it doesn't prove that anything we say about an aiming system is true.

Just as nothing anecdotal you report proves anything you claim. But what performance videos do show is that a person claims to use a particular method and demonstrates task proficiency. This is added to the body of information that others can use to determine whether that method is interesting enough to learn.

If a guy says I can clear a bar higher than anyone else but only with an unorthodox technique then others will say show us. When he demonstrates that he can in fact do it then it will prompt others to try and learn that technique. Eventually the technique will need improved upon by others.

That's the point of demos.

You clearly think that you are the intelligent one between us. I have no doubt that you know more than me on a variety of subjects. But not on this subject. On this subject the task is clear, find the shot line. And for that task center to edge aiming is very precise and objective. Alongside cte are several other methods that are objective and way way better than ghost ball.

The test is whether a player sees measurable improvement after adopting a new technique. Not whether that technique can be programmed into a pool shooting algorithm.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The test is whether a player sees measurable improvement after adopting a new technique. Not whether that technique can be programmed into a pool shooting algorithm.
The first is a test of usefulness. The second is a test of objectivity. Usefulness doesn’t prove objectivity.

Not that you’ll ever understand that.

pj
chgo

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't come on this forum much, mainly cuz it's repetitious and boring. One thing I'm curious about though, is how you have time to run your business.

Reason I ask is cuz I'm considering a new case and if I order from you can I get it before the CTE discussion ends?

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I don't come on this forum much, mainly cuz it's repetitious and boring. One thing I'm curious about though, is how you have time to run your business.

Reason I ask is cuz I'm considering a new case and if I order from you can I get it before the CTE discussion ends?
I know you're speaking tongue in cheek. However, the cases are well worth the wait. In fact the very first equipment upgrade I did was to buy a JB case in Vegas a couple of years back. Obvious decision imo... Took me waaay longer to figure out what to do with the cue purchase.

So nice to play with something decent enough as to not insult the case...lol

JC

Coos Cues

I ordered one a few weeks ago. Probably will never get it with my bad attitude. :ROFLMAO:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
The whole point of objective aiming is that guessing is reduced so much that uncertainty in alignment to the shot is near zero.
Oh for sure... My take on it is such that I don't see the value of adding to the noise in my head by attempting to learn a new method for sake of a potential 0.5% increase of success. I'm at a point that I rarely miss open balls, and if I'm looking at a shot that's already not in my favour of making because I didn't bother adopting some form of aiming system, then I really should be playing a different option.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pivot has not been revised at all. The bridge placement is not arbitrary it is directed.

I promise you that it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that you fidget like Pat Johnson does. One of these days I might release the video I have of Pat's fidgeting...... probably not because I told him I wouldn't AND it's on a hard drive in drawer somewhere and not worth looking for.

What do you think doing it with purpose means? any aiming is done with purpose. This method is the complete opposite of fidgeting. It is a DELIBERATE, focused, instructed, objective, methodical way to go from standing to ball address and be confident that you are dead nuts perfect on the shot line. The steps I described require no guessing other than when learning there will be times when a student is unsure of which perception+sweep is the correct one between 2 objective choices but once that is learned for the shot type then it's a clear objective choice.

Honestly, you are at the moment unable to truly understand what I am saying because the way you have always done it and CTE is so different that you simply can't even begin to understand how it looks or feels from the shooter's view until you learn it.

Is this guy fidgeting?

How about this one?

I can go on and on..... CTE users are not in any way "fidgeting" or adjusting once they have landed at ball address. The only extra motion is IF a player uses backhand english then they would use that to apply spin.

No Lou, they are not. When physical objects exist on the same plane then they are connected by lines. Those lines are not subjective, they exist even if not visible. A human can be told to stand with their cue touching the right edges of a pair of balls and they will be able to follow this direction exactly. Ten other people - none of whom need ever have played pool in their life can follow that instruction and end up with the cue in the exact same and correct position. You can tell these same people to point the cue through the center of the white ball to the center of the object ball and they will easily draw a mental line connecting those points. These are stupidly easy tests that should be clear to you that are no problem for the majority of human beings.

Now take those same ten people and tell them to point the the cue to the ghost ball. I predict you will get a range of results that are mostly wrong.

You are simply wrong. And the way you are are wrong, the false assertion that you made is EXACTLY the reason that you don't understand CTE. The whole point of objective reference points is to mitigate the variables in head position, head position above the balls when standing, width between eyeballs, distance from table etc.... That mitigation is exactly why objective aiming is so powerful. Earlier today I taught a guy who is a head taller than me. I taught him 90/90 and CTE on a 2 foot by 4 foot table with 1 3/8" balls. Once he locked onto the lines correctly he started pocketing because he had trained his eyes to see the line formed by connecting points.

By sighting the objective center of the cueball to the objective edge of the object ball.

Body position in relation to the cueball.

From second position the instruction is that the shooter goes into ball address with a specific action. That action is to place the bridge hand so that the cue tip center is pointed at the edge of the cueball that is inside the cut angle. Let's call that third position.

from the bridge hand so that the cue tip center is pointed at the edge of the cueball that is inside the cut angle

Yes, "whatever", is the predictable answer. My point remains that the proof is on the table. You want to argue this on this forum semantically but the fact is that no one nitpicks when they have a set of concrete practical instructions that gives them consistent way to get on the shot line. To you if the instruction is not something line place bridge hand exactly on these coordinates in this orientation then it isn't objective. Is such instruction were to exist then it would only be MORE objective. From a practical standpoint the instructions work to take the subjectivity out to the point that for the user there is no guessing needed. Any further refinements only serve to increase objectivity in the process.

I spent a few years as a photographer for a newspaper and know how just a small change in camera height, or moving it to the the left or the right, changes perspective.

It's the same with eyeballs. And since we're all different in how we stand at, approach, and descend to the table, we're all seeing something different. No doubt, amongst thousands of players you'd eventually find a couple of them who sync up but that would be the exception, not the rule.

What Stan sees when he looks at the balls, what you see, what I see, is different.

Lou Figueroa

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
The first is a test of usefulness. The second is a test of objectivity. Usefulness doesn’t prove objectivity.

Not that you’ll ever understand that.

pj
chgo
I am so glad that you are a super nobody in pool.

The fact is that you have zero idea whether a programmer could take the cte instructions and figure out a mathematical way to apply it.

It's a shame that practicality isn't a word that is in your vocabulary.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I spent a few years as a photographer for a newspaper and know how just a small change in camera height, or moving it to the the left or the right, changes perspective.

It's the same with eyeballs. And since we're all different in how we stand at, approach, and descend to the table, we're all seeing something different. No doubt, amongst thousands of players you'd eventually find a couple of them who sync up but that would be the exception, not the rule.

What Stan sees when he looks at the balls, what you see, what I see, is different.

Lou Figueroa
Could be. But here is the thing, Stan sees the center and the edge the same as I do. You can find the center of the cue ball just as well as any other player.

If I trusted you then I would bet super high on your ability to do that. Single lens cameras don't have the same ability to process depth and stereoscopic images. I am quite positive that every player on earth who is your speed can easily point their cute tip to the exact center line of the cue ball.

But that isn't even the point. The point is that objectivity and precision are high enough that it can be honestly said to be fully objective from the user perspective.

The amount of subjectivity is so small that if it exists it is not felt at all.

A 450 speed player who masters cte aiming can be told the aiming perception for a shot they have never practiced and apply it without doing anything other than following the directions and have an easily better than 50% chance to make it.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

I have 25 employees. You likely wouldn't even need to talk to me. Most of our customers don't need to. I have time because of division of labor. Your case is very very likely to be completed in the time quoted just as it happens with the vast majority of our customers.

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the very reason that a CTE specific sub forum topic is on the table. A subject related to straight cueing comes up in relationship to whatever aiming system is used as a reality check and for page after page of discussion this has been all about CTE, not straight cueing. It’s getting longer and longer between visits for me because of this issue. I think CTE discussion belongs on their fabled Facebook discussion area rather than where the commenters already made up their respective minds. This is not a discussion or debate. It’s useless rhetoric for serious player development.

JC

Coos Cues
This is the very reason that a CTE specific sub forum topic is on the table. A subject related to straight cueing comes up in relationship to whatever aiming system is used as a reality check and for page after page of discussion this has been all about CTE, not straight cueing. It’s getting longer and longer between visits for me because of this issue. I think CTE discussion belongs on their fabled Facebook discussion area rather than where the commenters already made up their respective minds. This is not a discussion or debate. It’s useless rhetoric for serious player development.
Yup, it happens every time.

We have a noxious invasive species of plant brought here from Scotland here in Oregon called CTE gorse.