about cue position during shot

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was told recently that it's good to keep the butt of the cue lined up through the heart of the cb while shooting, regardless of shot angle/aim
one reason, I was told, is that this helps transmit as much energy as possible through the cue ball, and consequently, the object ball

question 1: is this accurate?
question 2: is this technique worth practicing for that reason, or any other?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i am not an instructor but the tip points where the butt points
so
did the instructor mean to hit thru the "core" of the cueball
ie not at the extreme edges?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If the butt is aligned center cb but the tip is at an edge you have described "backhand English" or a form of it.
can you explain that alittle more
if you are lined up at center cue ball and move the butt to the right to get left english the butt is not longer aligned to center cue ball
what am i mis understanding?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I was told recently that it's good to keep the butt of the cue lined up through the heart of the cb while shooting, regardless of shot angle/aim
How would that physically work? What does "butt of the cue lined up through the heart of the cb" mean?

pj
chgo

WobblyStroke

I'm guessing this means to keep the entire cue aligned through the cueball such that it is like it is moving str8 back and forth in a tunnel, with no wavering of the butt end. If that interpretation is correct, I disagree with it. A natural arm swing will have some level of up and down to it. As the cue goes back, the butt raises a bit (coming through the roof of the proposed tunnel), only to fall back on plane and through the ball. At the moment of impact, yes, have the cue fully aligned through the ball, but to aspire to that throughout the entire stroking motion would be counterproductive imo as it would take more work to keep the thing level throughout than to allow for the natural up and down. Something's gotta give....either you allow the cue to move up and down a bit with a stationary elbow, or you keep it level by having the elbow come down a bit as the arm extends in the backswing like some snooker players do. I prefer option 1.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hit thru the "core" of the cueball
ie not at the extreme edges?
If the butt is aligned center cb but the tip is at an edge you have described "backhand English" or a form of it.

without having much experience with the term, this is what I thought. but I honestly dunno.

How would that physically work? What does "butt of the cue lined up through the heart of the cb" mean?

yea, it's counterintuitive to me- but I saw him do it
I was lined up in front of of the shot, while the butt remained centered with the cb, but the tip went different places..

I'm guessing

I could be wrong, but I think it was meant to be more of a right/left thing, tho the up/down could also be a part of it.
I'll try to get more info. and come back-

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
one reason, I was told, is that this helps transmit as much energy as possible through the cue ball, and consequently, the object ball ...
On the face of it this advice is neither useful nor true. Please try to get more info.