about stroke/follow-through- keeping it straight?

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
in this vid, I see the player does a thing I do sometimes, something I'm curious about
the result is that the cue butt ends up moving horizontally (after contacting the cb?)
the player is putting english on the ball when it happens, is that why? elbow drop?
my questions are: what's happening here? is it ok? and if not, how to avoid doing it?

edit: having trouble posting the vid for some reason
in YT please look up "Plus System - diamond system for aiming two-rail kick shots, from VEPS IV (NV B.84)"
the shot/stroke is at 2:30

Last edited:

Oikawa

A common reason for unwanted sideways movement during the stroke, either before or after the contact, is that your body (typically the torso) is in the way of your arm. The arm will then move to the side, either from anticipation of the impact or from the actual impact happening.

WobblyStroke

That kind of cue movement isn't an issue if your elbow doesn't drop until after contact. You see it often. Once his elbow drops, it collapses towards the body, so for a rightie, the tip goes right. It's def not from application of spin on this shot as he is shooting with left spin and would be swerving the other direction if he were using that method of applying english.

Ideally your elbow drop occurs in the same plane as your stroke, just in case if you drop early you will merely hit a bit higher on the CB rather than drastically off-line. But a move after contact like this doesn't really hurt the shot.

FWIW, the recently discussed Bert Kinister hang method for finding one's alignment gets people to setup in a way that has all their angles collapsing on the same plane. Adjusting your stance so that if you collapse, you collapse straight is def an option if a move like this bothers you. A solid elbow anchor will eliminate the drop as another solution. But again, as long as the elbow doesn't drop early, such a move in the follow-through won't affect your shot. Just look at Neils Feijen's YT channel. His stroke ends crooked af when his elbow drops as he goes way right with the tip.....after contact.

edit: so I watched some other strokes around that one and this guy is really all over the place going left and right in the follow-through. But if you look at Neils play, esp with the go pro camera on. His stroke is super consistent and the same every time....it just goes right after contact.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbb

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
in this vid, I see the player does a thing I do sometimes, something I'm curious about
the result is that the cue butt ends up moving horizontally (after contacting the cb?)
the player is putting english on the ball when it happens, is that why? elbow drop?
my questions are: what's happening here? is it ok? and if not, how to avoid doing it?

edit: having trouble posting the vid for some reason
in YT please look up "Plus System - diamond system for aiming two-rail kick shots, from VEPS IV (NV B.84)"
the shot/stroke is at 2:30
In my opinion that happens naturally when shoot soft speed max english shots. Deflection from cueball pushes cue sideways.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's the video. The player has defects in his mechanics. The delivery is not consistent.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my opinion that happens naturally when shoot soft speed max english shots. Deflection from cueball pushes cue sideways.

yea! I've noticed that when I play, my cue goes out on the soft ones..I think my elbow drops on those too.

thanks all for the replies-

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems like this player's idea of hitting the ball softly means dropping the grip farther down into his fingertips.