Accidental miscue on long draw shot hopped ball but made contact

northshoremb

Registered
Hello I play league and tournies but something came up last night that I rarely ever do and if so.eone does I've never seen someone question it. I had to do a full table draw shot so had my cue extremely low and parallel to the table but guess hit just too low and jumped the ball few inches in the air but made contact with my ball and rail. Since this is unintentional and at a high rate of speed is tgere a written rule in any rulebook that says its a defined foul? I don't even think it rode the ferrule and just ride the tip cause of the angle and no double hit. We were all looking for a ruling after incase happened in a tourney and we can go exactly to the so called rule. I seen where they say if it was purposely done its unsportsmanlike and a foul or if the cue double hit and see the ball go sideways but no clear answer for accidentally hitting low on an unneeded jump.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless there’s secondary contact with the ferrule or shaft that is obvious in real time, and the miscue was unintentional, it is not a foul.

northshoremb

Registered
Unless there’s secondary contact with the ferrule or shaft that is obvious in real time, and the miscue was unintentional, it is not a foul.

That's exactly as I see it but would be nice to see that written in the rules so have it as proof

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's exactly as I see it but would be nice to see that written in the rules so have it as proof ...
If you want a written rule, that will depend on which league/tournament you play in. Here is the applicable section of the World Standardized Rules:

8.18 Miscue
A miscue occurs when the cue tip slides off the cue ball possibly due to a contact that is too​
eccentric or to insufficient chalk on the tip. It is usually accompanied by a sharp sound and​
evidenced by a discoloration of the tip. Although some miscues involve contact of the side of​
the cue stick with the cue ball, unless such contact is clearly visible, it is assumed not to have​
occurred. A scoop shot, in which the cue tip contacts the playing surface and the cue ball at​
the same time and this causes the cue ball to rise off the cloth, is treated like a miscue. Note​
that intentional miscues are covered by 6.17 Unsportsmanlike Conduct.​