Actual Brunswick Gold Crown iii vs Brunswick Centurion review

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Gold Member
Hi. First off I love playing on Brunswick tables. Anyone looking for a used table right now? Deciding how much you want to spend? Like the looks of a Brunswick Centurion better than a Gold Crown or the price? I’m starting a thread here due to the fact that no one has actually reviewed a Centurion. Well maybe one guy half way reviewed one, but he wasn’t really that detailed on some aspects. All the threads’ posters just keep saying get a Gold Crown, probably because they’ve never even played on a Centurion. I played religiously for years on Gold Crown iiis at my local hall, and I can tell you right now it’s looking pretty close on playability. This is an older Centurion, which may not be comparable to the newer models. Idk for sure. Both GC3 and the C share the same rails and yes the Centurion does get the same rattle-then-drop hard down the rail that you get on a GC. Some of you guys know what I’m talking about….(Maybe thats only on shimmed GC). It’s just a great sound! I picked up the table a couple weeks ago. Tried it out before buying. I’ll be getting it setup this upcoming Thursday with new single shimmed superspeeds and Simonis 860hr cloth, at which time I will give a real in depth review. With playability comparisons. But at first site the Centurion is definitely a sexy table. It’s black and sleek. There were a few dead spots I noticed on rails. Other than those it banked ok. Plus was a bit out of level and if you bumped the table at the guys house, it would move a bit. That doesn’t happen with a GC. I think the GC3 has an extra support beam between the sets of feet. So GC has beefier legs than the C. But it also turns out when I disassembled the C there were some loose bolts. It had been sitting in the same place for 15 years and never even had the level checked. I halfway have it setup at my house now and halfway leveled for the installers with the slates set on frame. Let me tell you it doesn’t budge now. When it gets fully setup I’ll add in my review if the frame has sagged or anything over time. It’s a solid laminated frame and shouldn’t be sagged much if any. Anyone have a Centurion to compare? Or played on one? Please don’t kill the thread with “get a Gold Crown”. Post pics and specific pluses and minuses if you can. This thread is about playability more than anything. I’ll post my pics and review later this week. Everyone else who wants to know the real differences they will be up soon if not by the time you read this.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
One of the mechanics on here can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the Centurion to be similar to the Brunswick Medalist, which was a lower cost option to the Gold Crown. The Medalist was also a good table, but not as well built or as durable as the Gold Crown.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will first say this: There is a reason why Gold Crowns were the preferred choice for tournament play and commercial use over tables like the Centurion. That reason has everything to do with build materials and quality of build. See below.
Screen Shot 2021-10-03 at 7.59.36 AM.png

Which table do you think would play better? The heavier table made from solid hardwood or the lighter table made from plywood and particle board? The construction of the two tables is not even comparable and to even hint at the notion a Centurion plays as good as a Gold Crown is laughable.

For reference:
Brunswick Gold Crown III: https://brunswick.pastperfectonline.com/library/38C18744-ED72-4F11-88E5-188420238567
Brunswick Centurion: https://brunswick.pastperfectonline.com/library/B93BDC51-F286-4B1D-B608-425051440782

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
One of the mechanics on here can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the Centurion to be similar to the Brunswick Medalist, which was a lower cost option to the Gold Crown. The Medalist was also a good table, but not as well built or as durable as the Gold Crown.
I owned a Medalist and for a home table it was pretty nice. I like my GC1 better though. Clearly more solid.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will first say this: There is a reason why Gold Crowns were the preferred choice for tournament play and commercial use over tables like the Centurion. That reason has everything to do with build materials and quality of build. See below.
View attachment 611939
Which table do you think would play better? The heavier table made from solid hardwood or the lighter table made from plywood and particle board? The construction of the two tables is not even comparable and to even hint at the notion a Centurion plays as good as a Gold Crown is laughable.

For reference:
Brunswick Gold Crown III: https://brunswick.pastperfectonline.com/library/38C18744-ED72-4F11-88E5-188420238567
Brunswick Centurion: https://brunswick.pastperfectonline.com/library/B93BDC51-F286-4B1D-B608-425051440782
Agree. Centurion is a home-table made to look like a commercial-grade GC. They play ok but in no way does it compare to a GC.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Gold Member
View attachment 611939

For reference:
Well I am going to find out. While I’m working on that maybe you could try something out. Take a cue ball out and put two cinder blocks in front of it. Hit the cue ball as hard as you can into the two cinder blocks. See how far the blocks move. Now stack 3 and do the same. Which moved farther the 2 or the 3. I’m pretty sure neither stack will budge.
A lot of the mechanics on here will tell you that the GC3 a lot of times doesn’t have dowel rods holding the slates. Other than those, the playing fields are the same. The skirts shouldn’t matter because those are outside of the bolts that hold the rails in place. So if they are the same playing field they have to play similarly.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I am going to find out. While I’m working on that maybe you could try something out. Take a cue ball out and put two cinder blocks in front of it. Hit the cue ball as hard as you can into the two cinder blocks. See how far the blocks move. Now stack 3 and do the same. Which moved farther the 2 or the 3. I’m pretty sure neither stack will budge.
A lot of the mechanics on here will tell you that the GC3 a lot of times doesn’t have dowel rods holding the slates. Other than those, the playing fields are the same. The skirts shouldn’t matter because those are outside of the bolts that hold the rails in place. So if they are the same playing field they have to play similarly.
Your analogy is weak.

The GC III's without doweled slate could have had replacement slate. The dowels are irrelevant in terms of how the table plays. Everything else I mentioned does affect how the table plays, especially when everything is bolted together as a whole. Real hardwood by all means matters as it adds to the overall mass of the table. Particle board for the aprons is okay I guess until moisture gets to them and they start falling apart or they start chipping. Particle board legs? No thanks. Plywood frame? Have you compared your frame to that of a Gold Crown? Night and day. Look man, you can justify it all you want because that is what you're getting and more power to you. I hope you get years of play out of it but don't pretend the table is constructed and plays as well as a Gold Crown because it is/does not.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds right

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Gold Member
Sorry but my frame is made of mahoghany laminate. Here is a picture. Maybe because it’s one of the first years made.
1633305397517.png

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Gold Member
You are right on the legs being shitty but with 500 lbs sitting on each physics suggest it will take a lot of force to budge the legs even if they are made of particle board.
And as I already mentioned the table did move with a nudge when it wasn’t level and Gold crowns don’t usually budge.

The biggest concern that I have with this table is some people said that you have to worry about them sagging in the middle. I am going to find out from the mechanic when he gets here if it has sagged at all.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are right on the legs being shitty but with 500 lbs sitting on each physics suggest it will take a lot of force to budge the legs even if they are made of particle board.
And as I already mentioned the table did move with a nudge when it wasn’t level and Gold crowns don’t usually budge.

The biggest concern that I have with this table is some people said that you have to worry about them sagging in the middle. I am going to find out from the mechanic when he gets here if it has sagged at all.
It may sag in the middle because the frame is not sturdy enough to carry the weight. Each piece weights roughly 250 lbs.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Gold Member
Go and ask an engineer what is stronger and will sag less. My 2x8 lvl frame stood up on the sides or your 2x12 kiln dried Gold Crown frame set on the face with 2x6 supports stood on sides. Believe it or not the lvl might actually win. It might not. But it will definitely be closer than you think. That’s an awesome looking frame btw. Sorry, although we have been going back and forth, I’m not here to debate.

I understand that a Gold Crown is made with more expensive natural materials. That’s a given. But the weight difference is a mere 6% and both tables weigh in at over 1000lbs. So both have a huge mass when comparing them to little pool balls.

I was going to get a Gold Crown. But if I’m going to do that it has to be a 4 and a 4 was out of my price range. Plus the table is going in a garage. The heater isn’t even set up in there yet. So I bought the lesser,cheaper table until saving up for the GC4.

why I am posting this thread is for anyone looking for a cheaper table that looks nice. It really does play similar to a GC3. And then when it is set up on Thursday I will let everybody know how close to Gold Crown it does play. I’ll be able to see if the cheaper skirts and laminate on top of the rails has any effect on the play of the table. Already in my review is going to be the fact that these corners have the big “B” sticking up and that can definitely get in the way of a corner shot off the rail. +1 GC3

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go and ask an engineer what is stronger and will sag less. My 2x8 lvl frame stood up on the sides or your 2x12 kiln dried Gold Crown frame set on the face with 2x6 supports stood on sides. Believe it or not the lvl might actually win. It might not. But it will definitely be closer than you think. That’s an awesome looking frame btw. Sorry, although we have been going back and forth, I’m not here to debate.

I understand that a Gold Crown is made with more expensive natural materials. That’s a given. But the weight difference is a mere 6% and both tables weigh in at over 1000lbs. So both have a huge mass when comparing them to little pool balls.

I was going to get a Gold Crown. But if I’m going to do that it has to be a 4 and a 4 was out of my price range. Plus the table is going in a garage. The heater isn’t even set up in there yet. So I bought the lesser,cheaper table until I save up for the GC4.

why I am posting this thread is for anyone looking for a cheaper table that looks nice. It really does play similar to a GC3. And then when it is set up on Thursday I will let everybody know how close to Gold Crown it does play. I’ll be able to see if the cheaper skirts and laminate on top of the rails has any effect on the play of the table. Already in my review is going to be the fact that these corners have the big “B” sticking up and that will definitely get in the way of a corner shot off the rail. +1 GC3
The more stout, doweled frame is more sturdy. If you look at the Gold Crown frame, it has vertical and horizontal supports. If yours was stronger don't you think Brunswick engineers would have designed the Gold Crown with the Centurion style frame? They could have saved on materials costs and turned a higher profit. Truth be told, I'm not a fan of the III. I prefer the I and IV and I totally understand where you are coming from in terms of cost but you may wind up putting more money into the Centurion getting it to play like a Gold Crown. Money you could have used to buy the table you wanted.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Gold Member
The more stout, doweled frame is more sturdy. If you look at the Gold Crown frame, it has vertical and horizontal supports. If yours was stronger don't you think Brunswick engineers would have designed the Gold Crown with the Centurion style frame? They could have saved on materials costs and turned a higher profit. Truth be told, I'm not a fan of the III. I prefer the I and IV and I totally understand where you are coming from in terms of cost but you may wind up putting more money into the Centurion getting it to play like a Gold Crown. Money you could have used to buy the table you wanted.
You do make some very good points. Now looking at your frame, the added surface area of the frame that is in contact with the slate may very well have some impact on how the table plays. It might even have more to do with that part than with anything else.

I can’t give my opinion/review yet. But One thing I can tell you in all of this is one of my friends has an Olhausen set up at his place that I hate playing on. I hate the pockets. I hate the rails, and even the design isn’t that great. Plus he’s got a rug on it. I’ve never met a Brunswick table I have hated playing. Even with a rug on it. Any Brunswick setup correctly is going to play similar to other Brunswick’s. If tables have the same cushions and pocket angles you will pocket balls similarly on any one of them.

I’ve been playing since I was 5. Had a 7’ Brunswick in the basement. Unlike most people I played all the time. So, When I started going to the actual pool hall did I need to adjust to the 9ft table? sure I did. But I could still bank on that 9footer like a champ because the rails were superspeeds and exactly like the 7footer’s cushions at my house. And the pockets took balls the same. Even long banks were simple. So the tables played the same, but the GC’s with Simonis cloth and Centennial balls were definitely better tables…….

Last edited:

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Gold Member
Ok so for anyone following now as per Rexus31’s pictures a Gold Crown is definitely a sturdier, beefier table. +1 on GC. It seems to be the consensus and those pics verify it putting Rxs’s frame up against mine . Hands down. If you want the best Brunswick get a GC. Everyone knows that.

Now on how do the two play? Fatboy, Jay helfert Garczar, and HNTFSH all said they play “ok”.

Thanks for your responses so far. I am going to list any deficiencies I find during and after setup. It’s a perfect specimen to check for sagging, etc as it has been in the same place for 10-15 years which gave it more than enough time to bow if it was going to bow.. Right now I can tell you not only the frame but the side skirts are a little flimsy on the boxy Centurion when compared to the more contoured Gold Crown. I kind of feel like they could use an extra support bracket or two. Does that change how it plays though? Probably not. Just how it looks. I might even leave them off. +2 GC.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok so for anyone following now as per Rexus31’s pictures a Gold Crown is definitely a sturdier, beefier table. +1 on GC. It seems to be the consensus and those pics verify it putting Rxs’s frame up against mine . Hands down. If you want the best Brunswick get a GC. Everyone knows that.

Now on how do the two play? Fatboy, Jay helfert Garczar, and HNTFSH all said they play “ok”.

Thanks for your responses so far. I am going to list any deficiencies I find during and after setup. It’s a perfect specimen to check for sagging, etc as it has been in the same place for 10-15 years which gave it more than enough time to bow if it was going to bow.. Right now I can tell you not only the frame but the side skirts are a little flimsy on the boxy Centurion when compared to the more contoured Gold Crown. I kind of feel like they could use an extra support bracket or two. Does that change how it plays though? Probably not. Just how it looks. I might even leave them off. +2 GC.

All this has been known for years since the GC were made, it's not like it's a new thing that someone is comparing tables, especially those that were out there for decades. No need to re-invent the wheel as they say.

For the weight and frame stiffness difference, it's not for the sake of the table being moved when the balls are hit on it, but for the players leaning on it and the general vibrations from the room. When scientific instruments and record players and such are mounted on heavy frames and vibration dampers it's not because the instrument or the record will be moving them around, it's to keep out the environment from affecting it.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Gold Member
All this has been known for years since the GC were made, it's not like it's a new thing that someone is comparing tables, especially those that were out there for decades. No need to re-invent the wheel as they say.

For the weight and frame stiffness difference, it's not for the sake of the table being moved when the balls are hit on it, but for the players leaning on it and the general vibrations from the room. When scientific instruments and record players and such are mounted on heavy frames and vibration dampers it's not because the instrument or the record will be moving them around, it's to keep out the environment from affecting it.
Well there is a reason. This is for people looking for a good used table. Is the Centurion worth the money? If you look at all the comparisons on here no one is saying the Centurion is a “good” table or a “bad” table. They might say that, but not one person has broke down the playability of the table. As to how it banks or how the pockets take balls. Or of the actual defects in the table. Maybe rails get loose or something. One was loose when I took it apart btw. People want to know if the table is going out of level when they bump into it etc.

What all the previous comparisons say is this. “Get a Gold Crown. It’s a better table”. That’s the extent of the comparison. Some might like how the Centurion looks better than the GC. I am going to let them know more in depth how it plays when comparing to a GC. And if I would buy one again.