Advice from Willie Mosconi

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
Hi all. I thought I would pass this along.

My father worked at a pool hall in Baltimore in the 1950s. A gentleman used to go into the pool hall to work on his game and play a few people. As my dad was working there one day, his manager told him to offer to pay for the games just to get the experience of playing with that gentleman. That gentleman's name was Willie Mosconi.

He of course beat my dad like a rented mule. But he offered some advice that I thought I would pass along. When my dad asked him if there were any rules he should observe, he was told:

"Never take a bank shot over a straight shot, and never take a combination shot over a bank shot."

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Cool story and good advice.. Nice of you to post memories of your father and Willie.:cool:

Prey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great advice and nice story! Thanks for sharing this.:grin:

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
Thanks. My old man was a very good pool player, but not great. The biggest thing that ever happened to him in pool was playing Willie Mosconi when he was about 12. Still, to be that close to greatness would have been a memory to treasure.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks. My old man was a very good pool player, but not great. The biggest thing that ever happened to him in pool was playing Willie Mosconi when he was about 12. Still, to be that close to greatness would have been a memory to treasure.

cool story, but was your dad 12 when he played Mosconi, or working in a pool hall? I didn't follow that.

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
Both. He was about 12 and working in a pool hall, just for an hour or two after school or on Saturdays. Cleaning the tables, picking up glasses, emptying ashtrays, etc. (I wish I could ask him the details of it now.)

Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited: