Advice needed about a tip change situation with three revo shafts of mine.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I replaced my own tips. When the red silencer pad got wore to far down, I simply added a black pad that I bought. Then I bought a tip that actually had a clear pad on it. So after that tip needed replacing, I just left that clear pad on too.

I think as long as you have a thick enough pad between the tip and the shaft, it should be fine. Sure, the warranty is voided, but there is no way I'm sending my shaft in to get the tip changed.

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If predator can fix the vault plate, I totally agree that only that should be passed on to the installer not the cost of the whole shaft.

I like to have three because I use a second cue at times that has cue-rite extension. And I like to just have one more shaft free, in case I need a tip change on one of them and can rotate that one out. I know weird...

I was one of the very first to get revo shafts. I had been changing the tips to G2 mediums but on the later shafts (not damaged) I have been using Tzar medium soft.

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was bringing my revo shafts in to a guy (I don't want to mention his name as of yet) and it appears that he has been sanding down the black vault plate a little bit each time.

This has kind of been like the frog in boiling water situation where I didn't notice this at first and also at the same time I really don't know anything about tip changes in general or the construction of
a revo. He also removed the red pad on all three shafts. I don't know if that is as a big of an issue as sanding down the vault plate.

He did other tip changes previously for me for other shafts and they turned out well.

My question is...

How should I approach this? Should I ask for him to pay the cost of each revo? What is fair for everyone?

I will update this thread with a picture of one the revo's he worked on vs a picture of a revo he didn't work on to show the difference.

photo.php

Seyberts told me when I bought my cue that if a non certified cue guy touched my revo.... the warranty was gone the very second something went wrong.

Bottom line:

If he doesn't want to pay anything, your screwed as far as predator is concerned regardless if it can be repaired or not.

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think Predator sells these red silencer pads. Imo, without the red pads REVO just doesn't hit as good. So I figure you look around and find those pads and have him replaced it for you with a new tip.

Don't trust anyone with your tip, I've learnt my lessons. Cue repair guys just sand/trim out all the bad so it looks good, but after several replacements you can tell he's taken off parts of the material.

Learn to do your own tip.

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess the first question is does Predator replace the vault plate at a much lower price than buying a new shaft. I've never heard of Predator doing so, but I will only know for sure by asking them.

I guess I will contact Predator.

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess the first question is does Predator replace the vault plate at a much lower price than buying a new shaft. I've never heard of Predator doing so, but I will only know for sure by asking them.

I guess I will contact Predator.

Yes Sir. They do.
I have a customer who bought one 2nd hand. The entire end was messed up from someone doing it themself. I insisted he send it in to Predator. He hasn't got it back yet but they haven't had it long.

Last edited:

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Put them on ebay (one at a time) with honest listings and have him pay the difference, you'll probably do okay if you paid retail for them.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, none is the east coast or west coast! That's really odd and unfortunate...

I bought my second Revo for standard tip changing needs (play with one while the second is with the mechanic).

I just now need to (a) verify the mechanic knows their stuff or (b) ship my shaft to a repair center. But for true repairs (like the OP is facing), I’d ship my shaft to a center.

Otherwise I’ll let any mechanic put my shaft on a lathe for tip maintenance (trimming, shaping, etc).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, none is the east coast or west coast! That's really odd and unfortunate...

Did you put in a location? I think the map just comes up with dealers in the middle of the country if you don't specify a location.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
If predator can fix the vault plate, I totally agree that only that should be passed on to the installer not the cost of the whole shaft.

I like to have three because I use a second cue at times that has cue-rite extension. And I like to just have one more shaft free, in case I need a tip change on one of them and can rotate that one out. I know weird...

I was one of the very first to get revo shafts. I had been changing the tips to G2 mediums but on the later shafts (not damaged) I have been using Tzar medium soft.

Yeah, that sucks. You mentioned you are using TZAR tips :) Glad to hear that. So, if you need to replace the 3 tips because of this "mishap", I'll help you out. Buy one TZAR tip and I'll give you the other 2 FREE of charge. Good Luck.

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Predator response

Did get a response from Predator

Hi..I had an unfortunate experience of a tip installer doing a tip change on a revo of mine (actually on three different revos), remove the red pad and sand down my vault plate. I understand this breaks the warranty but is it possible to have the vault plate replaced at a cost cheaper than buying a new revo? Thanks in advance.

Sorry to hear about what happened to your Revo shaft. We would love to get this in and taken care of for you.

To prepare your package for return shipment to Predator Warranty and Repair, it is important to fill out and print our repair/return form located here https://www.predatorcues.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Predator-Return-Form-FINAL-secure.pdf
Be sure to send the form and a copy of your original purchase receipt along with your package to the following address:
Predator Group
7255 Salisbury Rd. Suite 1
Jacksonville, FL 32256-6905

Please fill the form in its entirety including phone and email address so we can be sure to contact you once we receive your package. DO NOT send it to the address on the repair form. All Revo products must be sent back directly to the sales department. The price for repair will definitely be cheaper than buying a new shaft. To just install the red pad would normally be $20.00 but unfortunately I do not know the price to install a new vault plate. The sales department will contact you once they receive the package and ready to start work.

The least expensive way to return your product is usually by US Postal Service as they provide free triangular boxes for your shipment. Fully pad and protect your product inside the box before shipment and insure your package for the full retail price of the product in case of damage during transit.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask,

Dave

Is it possible to find out the cost of a new vault plate before I send it in?

Unfortunately I do not have that information available. The reason being is because we do not know exactly the extent of the damage that will need to be repaired and will first need to be inspected before they would want to give you a quote.
Dave

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So, because you knew the importance of the red pad and assumed the person doing the tip knew. It's not your fault for not asking him if he was experienced in Revo shafts?
Does that sound about right?
I think your copping out and placing the blame elsewhere instead of yourself.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, because you knew the importance of the red pad and assumed the person doing the tip knew. It's not your fault for not asking him if he was experienced in Revo shafts?
Does that sound about right?
I think your copping out and placing the blame elsewhere instead of yourself.

I would in no way, want the OP as a customer.

Predator CLEARLY states in the warranty info that ALL cue work must be done by a CERTIFIED predator repairman or it voids the warranty the very second something goes wrong...... REGARDLESS of why.

Unfortunately, as a cuemaker..... lol.... getting stuck with such a customer is:

Themselves the rolls......

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You would be absolutely amazed how many people in general not just mechanics, who just don't know.
The answer is.
Don't assume they know. Ask them before they work on it and make them aware.
Better safe than sorry!

A lot of people would have no idea to ask. You sound you have familiarity with tip changes, many people have no more knowledge of tip changes than what it entails medically to have a cavity filled.

Unfortunately, in both cases, if done badly...that is when the person learns.

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would in no way, want the OP as a customer.

Predator CLEARLY states in the warranty info that ALL cue work must be done by a CERTIFIED predator repairman or it voids the warranty the very second something goes wrong...... REGARDLESS of why.

Unfortunately, as a cuemaker..... lol.... getting stuck with such a customer is:

Themselves the rolls......

Did you read my message to Predator. I stated that I voided the warranty. I am not blaming Predator...I am asking if they can fix at a price. Whatever price they want. So I am confused as to your response?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of people would have no idea to ask. You sound you have familiarity with tip changes, many people have no more knowledge of tip changes than what it entails medically to have a cavity filled.

Unfortunately, in both cases, if done badly...that is when the person learns.

You had the chance to teach him something and chose not to. End of story.
I educate my customers and tell them to ask questions if they go to someone else. I do the work right in front of them , tip jobs are to easy to make them wait. They make an appointment, take a seat (mandatory) and I get it done.
They also leave here with a better understanding of cues in general. The only people I don't let come here are other cue repair men and Cue makers and of course people I deem @holes. I'm not shy and have no patience for people who think the world revolves around them. Everyone who knows me. Knows this. We get a long very well.

Last edited:

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You had the chance to teach him something and chose not to. End of story.
I educate my customers and tell them to ask questions if they go to someone else. I do the work right in front of them , tip jobs are to easy to make them wait. They make an appointment, take a seat (mandatory) and I get it done.

You are not following. I did not know myself about the tip changes on any shaft, much less the revo when he did the changes. I wouldn't have known what questions to ask.

Now the last time I had a change made from a victory to a Tzar (about a month ago) I did know and wrote it out on my directions to not remove red pad.

I just logged into my Seyberts account, and I bought my first revo 3/31/2017.