after watching mosconi, I'm gona buy a cf shaft.

pw98

Registered
The MLB hasn't switched from wooden bats because the performance of aluminum/composite bats is so similar to wood, they're using them BECAUSE the performance is so much better than wooden bats. At bats in the MLB that result in either a home run or a strike out are becoming increasingly more common. 'Small ball' (manufacturing runs through singles, bunting, etc) is becoming less and less relevant as the game goes on. So if they suddenly let the players use aluminum or composite bats, they'd have to change the name to home run derby instead of baseball because home run numbers would spike dramatically.

All this to say that using the MLB as an example of a sport that hasn't evolved similar to what poolscholar said is flat out wrong and based on a complete lack of understanding on why they use the equipment they use.
Not to mention its very dangerous for a pitcher because the ball would be coming at them even faster making it even harder to react to a a line drive aimed at their head.

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems that most players who performed well, they play with a black shaft, the lower accu-stats ranks were wood shafts, maybe it is a coincidence but I must try out these cf shaft finally.

So for those of you who already tried, I am a guy who never tried cf, which one should I buy, just tell me the brand and ill snag it off Seybert's.
I played with a regular wood shaft for a long time. I tried a Z3 years ago, and I couldn't get used to it, and I went back to my regular wood shaft. Recently, as more and more guys are moving to LD shafts (especially CF), I have wondered if I should give LDCF a try.

After the DCC this year, in March, I bought a Cuetec Cynergy after a month of research. I have played with it since, and I will give you my take on the Cyngery. I think it is great. A bonus feature for me that I didn't know when I bought it, is that I enjoy the sniper tip that comes with it.

The prevailing wisdom is that the Cynergy has more deflection that a REVO. However, the prevailing wisdom is also that the Cynergy feels and sounds more like a wood shaft if that matters to you. However, the Cynergy is certainly low deflection...just not as low as REVO. However, since I was making a switch from a regular maple shaft, I think a reduced deflection cue might have been a better pick for me. With force follow and hi-speed draw shots, the Cyngery definitely puts more juice on the cue ball when compared to a wood shaft. Also, because of the LD properties, when you are trying to pocket a ball using centerish English the make point on the object ball is bigger. In short, I believe using the Cynergy makes those two aspects of the game easier. However, touch shots and shots where you are spinning a ball in are totally different. I bought the shaft in March, and I am still not totally adjusted. However, I love playing with it.

On balance, after you adjust to it, I believe CF shafts make the game easier and they require less maintenance than a wood shaft. Additionally, that means if you are competing in an event against someone with a CF shaft or maybe a LD shaft, and he is fully adjusted to it, whilst you are using a regular wood shaft...in my view...you are spotting him on every shot, because every shot is easier for him than it is for you.

Just my 0.02

kollegedave

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not to mention its very dangerous for a pitcher because the ball would be coming at them even faster making it even harder to react to a a line drive aimed at their head.
Unless you area college player...college players ain't skeered of no aluminum bats. FWIW, to clear some misconceptions. The "sweet spot" on a wooden bat is just as "hot" as any aluminum bat...even hotter. The difference is the sweet spot on a wooden bat is a only a little larger than the ball itself, whereas the sweet spot on a composite bat is huge in comparison.

<----lots of wood bat tourneys

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The MLB hasn't switched from wooden bats because the performance of aluminum/composite bats is so similar to wood, they're using them BECAUSE the performance is so much better than wooden bats. At bats in the MLB that result in either a home run or a strike out are becoming increasingly more common. 'Small ball' (manufacturing runs through singles, bunting, etc) is becoming less and less relevant as the game goes on. So if they suddenly let the players use aluminum or composite bats, they'd have to change the name to home run derby instead of baseball because home run numbers would spike dramatically.

All this to say that using the MLB as an example of a sport that hasn't evolved similar to what poolscholar said is flat out wrong and based on a complete lack of understanding on why they use the equipment they use.
As it was mentioned, I should point out its the same (or at least very similar) in cricket. Wooden bats are mandatory because it was felt adding other performance enhancing materials gave the batsman too much of an (unfair) advantage (so sounds very similar to the Baseball logic).

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I had a jacoby black, it was fine, if it had any extra abilities I was oblivious to them, but I didn't dislike it