Age Related Decline

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Frank had amazing genetics. He wasn’t natural, however he didn’t do the amount of drugs the guys just after him used. These days the 50 year old bodybuilders are dropping dead like flys. 3 or 4 this month. I used everything myself, I didn’t abuse any of it. Frank was smart. The guys who were all natural from his era look like swimmers.

Didn't one or two of the swimmers go on to play Tarzan, last i recall he and Jane are still swingin

In terms of Zane i'll defer to your position that he was enhanced because i believe you know more about the sport, and it's secrets, than i do

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didn't one or two of the swimmers go on to play Tarzan, last i recall he and Jane are still swingin

In terms of Zane i'll defer to your position that he was enhanced because i believe you know more about the sport, and it's secrets, than i do
I just happened to be in the right place at the right time to get to know a Dr in Vegas who did the drug protocol for famous Las Vegas tennis player and subsequently a top pro bodybuilder.

It was just something I fell into, I got on the inside of that world from 95-05. It’s similar to pool. There are those in the know and those who speculate-same amount of nonsense. When my back went bad and my best friend dropped dead in the gym they was enough for me. I moved on. I still have friends in that world, but not to the extent I do pool.

0% chance Frank was natural. But he was very very smart and possibly the best looking Mr Olympia. I have a very close friend who won that title-he’s one of the greatest people I’ve ever met(I’ll tell that story another time).

best,
Fatboy

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the last and greatest bodybuilders was Frank Zane (imo) who, per general consensus, achieved his titles on the natch
Folks in that particular "consensus" would win any year's "Clueless to the Max" grand prize.

That aside, I knew and admired the man for a decade during the 1970s and totally respected what he accomplished for himself and for the sport.
Frank Zane.jpg

This is actually quite intentionally a semi-relaxed none-contest pose. The definition, vascularity, and muscularity he'd present on-stage during judging rounds, on contest day were totally unprecedented.

Arnaldo ~ That's such a wonderfully inspiring (and so-characteristically logical) quote by him, isn't it? Meant to popularize the sport and rewardingly attract ever more men and women to it.

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
It’s true when you are training regularly your muscles are not firing like they do when your instroke. Your touch is gone, soft delicate shots are a disaster. When I was full time in the gym on steroids for years my pool game suffered. When I play pool full time my gym results suffered. It’s impossible to properly lift & play at the same time. One of the 2 will not be near par. That’s in the past for me-they both suck right now🤣😂

best
Fatboy
Never affected me unless I played a few hours after I lifted back in my younger days. There are some pretty strong dudes that play all the local tourneys, has not affected them much either, and it does not look like they miss any days in the gym ;)

MSchaffer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel like I can play just as good, if not better than my prime, but at age 53, it is becoming more and more difficult to maintain focus for long periods of time.
I used to be able to focus for hours upon hours playing onsistently at my highest gear. Now I can play even better, but I can't maintain it for more than an hour or two on my best days.

johnhendy

Registered
I WAS one of the lucky ones. I had been a very good player for over 65 years. For the last several years I have played out of Hard Times Sacramento and California Billiards in Fremont. Both rooms have a very competitive monthly one pocket tournament, and I have won many of them. In 2011, at 72, I finished 7/8th in the US Open One Pocket Championship in Las Vegas, losing to the 2nd/3rd place players who finished behind Efren. The same year I beat SVB in The Chuck Markulis Memorial One Pocket Division at Hard Times, and went hill/hill with Corey Deuel who won the tournament. At 80/81 years old, I made the hot seat at four of the last six monthly one pocket tournaments I played in at Hard Times, Sacramento before COVID came along. I won the first Super Seniors One Pocket at Bogies in Houston a few years back, beating a who’s who of former champions. I came in third the next tournament, losing to Billy Incardona and Bob Ogburn.

Now, I am afraid I am done, and just lucky to be alive. In Feb of this year I could not walk and went to emergency at Kaiser. Cancer had metastasized in my spine. They took out the tumors and fused my back. Last week I was released from a skilled nursing facility after 6 1/2 months. Believe me, I am a happy camper to be home, getting around fine in a walker. I may never hit a ball again, but the memories and friends I have made playing pool all over the country, will last me til I die, and thanks to good luck and great medical care, that should not be anytime soon. John

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I WAS one of the lucky ones. I had been a very good player for over 65 years. For the last several years I have played out of Hard Times Sacramento and California Billiards in Fremont. Both rooms have a very competitive monthly one pocket tournament, and I have won many of them. In 2011, at 72, I finished 7/8th in the US Open One Pocket Championship in Las Vegas, losing to the 2nd/3rd place players who finished behind Efren. The same year I beat SVB in The Chuck Markulis Memorial One Pocket Division at Hard Times, and went hill/hill with Corey Deuel who won the tournament. At 80/81 years old, I made the hot seat at four of the last six monthly one pocket tournaments I played in at Hard Times, Sacramento before COVID came along. I won the first Super Seniors One Pocket at Bogies in Houston a few years back, beating a who’s who of former champions. I came in third the next tournament, losing to Billy Incardona and Bob Ogburn.

Now, I am afraid I am done, and just lucky to be alive. In Feb of this year I could not walk and went to emergency at Kaiser. Cancer had metastasized in my spine. They took out the tumors and fused my back. Last week I was released from a skilled nursing facility after 6 1/2 months. Believe me, I am a happy camper to be home, getting around fine in a walker. I may never hit a ball again, but the memories and friends I have made playing pool all over the country, will last me til I die, and thanks to good luck and great medical care, that should not be anytime soon. John
So sorry that you are going through this. It all is overwhelming, leaves me sad and speechless…the only way I can respond is to try imagine what I would feel like in your shoes. Key word here is “Try”. You will be in my thoughts and prayers John.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I hope you continue to thrive and do well.
After reading your terrific post I have only one thing to say as I am in awe: I am not worthy.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
After reading John's post...I have no old age complaints at age 77...none at all!

John, wishing you the best...as is, I'm sure, everybody here!

libtrucker

I wind up playing an older guy named Scott every time we meet in league, great guy. Incredible knowledge of the table, has been playing for years, but I usually beat up on him. He is probably in his upper 60s/lower 70s, and does have some health problems.

I recently played him in the Vegas qualifier, and he guy walked all over me. Didnt miss. It sucked to loose, but it was nice to see he could still hammer down.

Im 36 and have a bad back, if it flares up, I cant shoot to save my life. And if I have to much "emotional support vodka" that usually ruins my game too..... :eek:

whiteoak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You are an inspiration to all of us.Prayers your way,Sir

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

john
you are my inspiration
keep getting well
larry (lll on onepocket.org)

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You have been one of my hero’s since 1985(I was 18). I saw that you could have a great life AND play pool. That inspired me. Thanks John❤️🙏🏼😀

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

Well, we always knew you could play a "little". lol Glad you made it home, and hope you continue to heal.

Nice meeting you in Chicago a few years back. . Thanks for being a loyal customer, its always appreciated when top players like your product :) Take care, RJ

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About to turn 60 and I'm with you
Personally speaking, early 60’s…..it is inescapable.….time always takes its toll sooner or later…..it’s ust a question of when for everyone. You cannot prevent what awaits. Some may get to postpone it awhile but all eventually succumb.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Frank had amazing genetics. He wasn’t natural, however he didn’t do the amount of drugs the guys just after him used. These days the 50 year old bodybuilders are dropping dead like flys. 3 or 4 this month. I used everything myself, I didn’t abuse any of it. Frank was smart. The guys who were all natural from his era look like swimmers.
Steroids are bad for you, but Arnold and the gang used somewhat reasonable amounts (relatively speaking), which is probably why Arnold himself is still alive, though he has had heart problems. Steroids do a real number on your blood vessels. Usually not instantly fatal, but they'll steal years off your life. Later bodybuilders took way too much and combined them with extreme diuretics regimens and other drugs that destroy your kidneys and liver, in addition to the steroids, combined with extreme overeating using Insulin. It's just a recipe to die young, and so they are. Some are dying in their 40s or even younger. Insulin is probably one of the most dangerous drugs to abuse. One slip up and nobody can save your life, it's that deadly.

I still remember the owner of the local gym wheezing like an 80 year old emphysema patient after climbing the relatively short staircase, due to his extreme abuse of trenbolone. I swore to never touch any steroids after witnessing that. He looked like a Greek God, but his insides were all rotten.. Some of my friends startet using them, but I kind of lost touch with them. I really wonder what their health is like now.

I think the key to an healthy old age is to stay relatively slim. Moderate excercise, and a reasonable diet. I'm only 43 but throughout the Corona time I stayed relatively sedentary and gained a lot of weight. I felt like absolute dogsh.... When I tried playing again, it didn't go well. I had trouble with everything, but I believe my poor physical condition had a lot to do with it. I'm on Paleo now, losing weight and feeling great. Everything works better, my body as well as my brain. I also started taking cold showers, as it is claimed this has many positive benefits for the problems I have with various inflammation related health concerns. I hate it, but after it's over it makes me feel really great. Before cold showers became the new hip thing, I learned that a friend of the family, who is now in his 80s and still extremely fit, had been doing it all his life. There is real also scientific proof that it has benefits. I'll stick with it, I think.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steroids are bad for you, but Arnold and the gang used somewhat reasonable amounts (relatively speaking), which is probably why Arnold himself is still alive, though he has had heart problems. Steroids do a real number on your blood vessels. Usually not instantly fatal, but they'll steal years off your life. Later bodybuilders took way too much and combined them with extreme diuretics regimens and other drugs that destroy your kidneys and liver, in addition to the steroids, combined with extreme overeating using Insulin. It's just a recipe to die young, and so they are. Some are dying in their 40s or even younger. Insulin is probably one of the most dangerous drugs to abuse. One slip up and nobody can save your life, it's that deadly.

I still remember the owner of the local gym wheezing like an 80 year old emphysema patient after climbing the relatively short staircase, due to his extreme abuse of trenbolone. I swore to never touch any steroids after witnessing that. He looked like a Greek God, but his insides were all rotten.. Some of my friends startet using them, but I kind of lost touch with them. I really wonder what their health is like now.

I think the key to an healthy old age is to stay relatively slim. Moderate excercise, and a reasonable diet. I'm only 43 but throughout the Corona time I stayed relatively sedentary and gained a lot of weight. I felt like absolute dogsh.... When I tried playing again, it didn't go well. I had trouble with everything, but I believe my poor physical condition had a lot to do with it. I'm on Paleo now, losing weight and feeling great. Everything works better, my body as well as my brain. I also started taking cold showers, as it is claimed this has many positive benefits for the problems I have with various inflammation related health concerns. I hate it, but after it's over it makes me feel really great. Before cold showers became the new hip thing, I learned that a friend of the family, who is now in his 80s and still extremely fit, had been doing it all his life. There is real also scientific proof that it has benefits. I'll stick with it, I think.
Steroids can be bad for you.

They are not always bad.

I’m not here to debate that, this is about pool-well it was at some point.

best
Fatboy

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think the key to an healthy old age is to stay relatively slim. Moderate exercise, and a reasonable diet. I'm only 43 but throughout the Corona time I stayed relatively sedentary and gained a lot of weight. I felt like absolute dogsh.... When I tried playing again, it didn't go well. I had trouble with everything, but I believe my poor physical condition had a lot to do with it. I'm on Paleo now, losing weight and feeling great. Everything works better, my body as well as my brain. I also started taking cold showers, as it is claimed this has many positive benefits for the problems I have with various inflammation related health concerns. I hate it, but after it's over it makes me feel really great. Before cold showers became the new hip thing, I learned that a friend of the family, who is now in his 80s and still extremely fit, had been doing it all his life. There is real also scientific proof that it has benefits. I'll stick with it, I think.
Great post, as usual, SP99. I'm a fan of everyone who articulates these kinds of points, and unfailingly influence more than a few gone-a-bit-astray readers (and thereby also enriching the lives of any loved ones who want them on the good side of the grass for plenty of years to come).

One very well-known comedic talk show host -- who has a serious side off-camera -- concisely expresses his own 3-word formula for good health in anybody's Senior (or mid-life) years: "It's largely about how well you manage . . . your Food, Sleep, and Stress."

Arnaldo -- Could be too-hastily taken as simplistic, but upon reflection -- it will be seen as totally on-target.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great post, as usual, SP99. I'm a fan of everyone who articulates these kinds of points, and unfailingly influence more than a few gone-a-bit-astray readers (and thereby also enriching the lives of any loved ones who want them on the good side of the grass for plenty of years to come).

One very well-known comedic talk show host -- who has a serious side off-camera -- concisely expresses his own 3-word formula for good health in anybody's Senior (or mid-life) years: "It's largely about how well you manage . . . your Food, Sleep, and Stress."

Arnaldo -- Could be too-hastily taken as simplistic, but upon reflection -- it will be seen as totally on-target.
Howard Stern swears by Metamucil.

RacerX750

Registered
Young people without responsibility, bills rent or Mortage payment, car breaking downn, and not a care in world have it made. They can devote 100% of their energy into something they love doing with little responsibility.
That is the truth. Too bad when I was young I spent my time and energy wrenching and racing motorcycles. It was incredible fun, but pool is something you can do your entire life. Yes, eyesight, energy, etc. decline, but when you miss a shot it's no big deal. On a bike mistakes hold unpleasant consequences. So I quit riding.
I'm playing pool better today because I finally started taking it seriously and working on all my weaknesses. I'm not young, but I have never let age limit what I can do. As long as you maintain a healthy lifestyle I see no reason you can't be as good as you can be at pool, no matter how old you are. We all love playing, and for me, that's all the motivation I need.