Aging and Pool

lunchmoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We were having a discussion at the pool hall last night and one of the topics was, as we age, why does our pool game fall off from what it was when we were younger? Eyesight was a topic, but glasses can correct that for the most part. Aching bodies and stamina were brought up as was not having a passion for the game anymore. Anyone have any opinions on this or things that have affected your own game as you got older?

Lunchmoney

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gotcha!!!!

lunchmoney said:
We were having a discussion at the pool hall last night and one of the topics was, as we age, why does our pool game fall off from what it was when we were younger? Eyesight was a topic, but glasses can correct that for the most part. Aching bodies and stamina were brought up as was not having a passion for the game anymore. Anyone have any opinions on this or things that have affected your own game as you got older?

Lunchmoney

Use to be an old adage in pool, Lunch. I'll play anyone even if I get one "Gotcha" a game. You might remember the term.

In some cases, I personally have knowledge of, the elder player can drill 8 balls in a row, be over the 9 and still be expecting the "Gotcha" to hit before he pulls the trigger.

pete lafond

pete.l@slipstic.com
Silver Member
hemicudas said:
Use to be an old adage in pool, Lunch. I'll play anyone even if I get one "Gotcha" a game. You might remember the term.

In some cases, I personally have knowledge of, the elder player can drill 8 balls in a row, be over the 9 and still be expecting the "Gotcha" to hit before he pulls the trigger.

I have asked two older players this and in both cases their response is the same as yours.

lunchmoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hemicudas said:

LOL how true.

Tons'O'Fun - Lack of concentration was a good observation, one that no one thought of last night.

Lunchmoney

lunchmoney said:

Lunchmoney

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about in this post. :rolleyes: :eek: :D

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
I have an opinion ...

I am now 57, about a couple of months ago I was still 19... lol
The forties were okay. I have even found that you have a
couple of peaks in your game in the 40's. The early 50's
still hold pretty good, but you start to notice your concentration
flucuating some, your eyesight get worse (all the good players
can not read score sheets anymore...lol), you start having
more aches and pains sooner because you just don't exercise
like you used to. Where you used to stay up and playing for
3 days, you just can't do it anymore. In fact staying up 1 night
now takes it's toll on you. You find yourself not wanting to play
longer than 4-6 hours anymore for any reason. Your eyes fuzz out.
And after 55, like sex, your are still interested, but most of it is
mental .... lol

Cane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lunchmoney said:

Lunchmoney

Focus, Focus, Focus... I'm right at the half a century mark and I quit playing for 14 years and when I first started playing again, not quite 4 years ago, I just couldn't play the way I used to. I thought it had to be eyesight, so I spent a fortune on WaveFront Lasik (which did help a LOT, but was not the end all, cure all), then I thought it was my body, so I tried every little change I could to make myself more "comfortable" on a shot. I finally figured out that it was just a focus problem. I was mentally wearing myself out trying to stay in focus or in "Stroke" for an entire match... so I figured out a way to just drop off in Dead Punch on each shot... don't have to stay there all the time. I developed a routine, or process, to trigger my brain to go to that wonderful place where I used to play! I aim well, I stroke well, I have good mechanics, and now I can put my brain in LaLaLand and just know the shots. As a result, my shotmaking and position play has soared! THROUGH THE ROOF! Nah, it's not what some are thinking. I play completely on the natch. Well, maybe a Budweiser now and then... I've just figured out how to train my brain to go "In Stroke" on each shot and not have to wear my wrinkled up old brain out trying to say in the zone all night long. May not be the case for everyone, but it damn sure worked for me. Screw the Puppies! Bring 'em on! :)

Later,
Bob

CaptainJR

Shiver me timbers.
Silver Member
I think one thing that is over looked in this issue is 'life'. I called it that because I just can't think of the right word now. Turning 50 is a big thing. If you are not 50 yet, then you don't know what I'm talking about. All of a sudden it hits you that, without a doubt, you HAVE lived longer than you are GOING to live. I think it invokes a change of attitude. Winning a game of pool just isn't as important as it use to be. I'm sure this isn't the case with everyone, but I'll use it as today's excuse.

pocono

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm 55 years old, keeping my concentration seems to be a problem also I don't have the desire to play like I did when I was younger. I still have a deep passion for the game it is a way of life for me.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
CaptainJR said:
I think one thing that is over looked in this issue is 'life'. I called it that because I just can't think of the right word now. Turning 50 is a big thing. If you are not 50 yet, then you don't know what I'm talking about. All of a sudden it hits you that, without a doubt, you HAVE lived longer than you are GOING to live. I think it invokes a change of attitude. Winning a game of pool just isn't as important as it use to be. I'm sure this isn't the case with everyone, but I'll use it as today's excuse.

I thought you were going to say that "life" gets in the way. That is, the older one gets, the more stuff there is to think about and do, so there's less time for (focus on?) pool. Btw, I'm 52 and don't think I'm halfway there yet. Don't be surprised if you live a looooooottttt longer than you think now.

When you're in your twenties, with no spouse, no kids, no job, no house, etc. you can play pool all night/week/year long and not care about "life." Every year brings more and more stuff, people, circumstances, etc, etc. to intefere with your game.

I like Cane's advice about focusing on each shot, not the entire session of pool....who'd thunk? :p

Jeff Livingston

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cane said:
Focus, Focus, Focus... I developed a routine, or process, to trigger my brain to go to that wonderful place where I used to play! I aim well, I stroke well, I have good mechanics, and now I can put my brain in LaLaLand and just know the shots.

I learned how to do that same thing, it took me through several tournaments to a 1st place finish. One other facet of that LaLaLAND TRANCE was that my opponent didn't figure into my emotions anymore. When I was playing, it was like being by myself. You don't see background & you don't hear background. I didn't even think about a miss....

breakup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The will to win is not as all consuming. The intensity tapers off with age.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lunchmoney said:
[...] why does our pool game fall off from what it was when we were younger? [...]

Lunchmoney

I hear this a lot--game not being what it used to be. And while there's probably frequently some truth to it, I think there's also mixed in some colored perception of what the game "used to be."

That being said, my one word answer is COMPLACENCY.

If you ask people who've been playing for 2-5 years about how they see their game and where they see it going, you're likely to hear goals and plans...want to move to the next level.. want to get to where I can play so-and-so even..want to get kicked out of the "B" tournaments. And there's ones they won't articulate--want so-and-so to respect my game...

It's much rarer, imo, for people who have been playing for decades to have such plans and aspirations. They tend to be comfortable.

It's hard to improve if you're playing 2-4 hours a week. But I think it's possible for intermediate-level players to improve playing as little as 6-10 hours a week. But you have to have an improvement-oriented mindset. You have to have goals and make the hours count.

I'm 48. I played as a teenager, didn't play for 25 years, and then picked it up again at age 41. I'm still improving, a fact that is really helpful when I play people that I see about once a year. People are always wary when they haven't seen young players for a while --maybe they stepped it up a notch. But nobody even considers that someone my age might have stepped it up.

mike page
fargo

OldHasBeen

Tom Ferry
I have found...........

lunchmoney said:
Lunchmoney

The key for me is to - "Keep It Simple, Stupid"!
I have developed a Shot Routine that allows me to just concentrate on the task at hand.
I have also developed a double/triple aiming system that helps a lot.
By systematically eliminating all the other variables, I am much better able to not only pocket the ball, but also play better position.

TY & GL

F

Fred Agnir

lunchmoney said:

Lunchmoney

Could be simply poor memory. I'm a bettter player today than I was when I was in my early 20's.

Fred

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
You know ...

I keep asking at every handicapped tourney I play if
I get a handicap discount for being over 55, and all
they do is laugh at me ..... and I am serious ...

I get a discount at the movies ...

OldHasBeen said:
I have also developed a double/triple aiming system that helps a lot.
By systematically eliminating all the other variables, I am much better able to not only pocket the ball, but also play better position.

TY & GL

Why have you never brought this up before when we needed you? Keyriced...a damn good player and a damn good one for DECADES using such a thing...who da thunk?? :rolleyes:

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's Amazing

It really is amazing what a mere 40 years can do for one's attitude, much less appearance and tolerance for pain.

Last edited:

efirkey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the desire to win at all costs decreases along with our decreasing Testosterone levels.

Also, as I get older I have less to prove and therefore I relax a little bit more when I play.