Status
Not open for further replies.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
That was never in doubt.

pj
chgo

Because I know, from experience, that I won't be the one getting tasered.

Want to take two beginners and you train yours using your Halves-Guessing method for an hour and I get Hal's methods and then the student who makes less balls gets their teacher tased?

I mean how willing are you to bet on what you are advocating?

PoolSharkAllen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because I know, from experience, that I won't be the one getting tasered.

Want to take two beginners and you train yours using your Halves-Guessing method for an hour and I get Hal's methods and then the student who makes less balls gets their teacher tased?

I gotta admit that your bet proposal is the ultimate in silliness. What if PJ is the loser of this bet and he dies while being tasered by a 80,000 volt weapon? Does that make JB an assessory to a murder? :rolleyes:

If, on the other hand, JB loses the bet and gets tasered, then he'll never survive the public humiliation of losing. :D

PoolSharkAllen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it depends on what "better results" means.

If it means players who use Halves shoot better than players who use other systems; I doubt it - that's probably a function of how well the individual system suits the individual player.

If it means more players will use Halves successfully than some other systems; who knows?

If it means Halves users learn more about how aiming really works than users of some other systems; I think so - because Halves is open, transparent and directly addresses the real skills needed (i.e., "feel") in an organized way without any inflated claims or unnecessary mystery.

If it means Halves is easier to evaluate and learn than some other systems; I'm sure of that.

The important thing is understanding how aiming works in general and how any system works in particular so you can accurately evaluate its usefulness for you.

pj
chgo
PJ, I think that ABH might have some use for people who are unsure about where to aim on the shot. Splitting the difference, aiming by half, might be a viable option for the lack of anything better.

However, most people here are probably looking for a system that involves less guesswork or feel. They're looking for a system that's repeatable and reasonably accurate for most angles. They're looking for something that will shorten the learning curve of having to hit a million balls in order to become proficient at aiming. So in that sense, I think the ABH may need some additional refinement, possibly being used in tandem with another aiming system.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
LOL. Why don't we just stick our fingers in light sockets and the one who survives is right?

You mean how out-of-control nuts will I get over this internet silliness? Everybody knows you're undefeated in that department, John.

pj
chgo

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I gotta admit that your bet proposal is the ultimate in silliness. What if PJ is the loser of this bet and he dies while being tasered by a 80,000 volt weapon? Does that make JB an assessory to a murder? :rolleyes:

If, on the other hand, JB loses the bet and gets tasered, then he'll never survive the public humiliation of losing. :D

Oh I can survive losing. Anyone who actually gambles has to fade losing.

It's all rhetorical anyway as no one on your side is going to bet a nickle much less getting shocked.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Correct, by themselves, centers and edges wouldn't be as fine grained. You'll need more cueball points. So, if you use the smaller divisions (and halves) at the cueball in conjunction with centers and edges of the object ball, then you have the same smaller divisions, but your divisions will be at a the close cueball rather than the far away object ball. Plus, you'll be lined up with a center or edge. Then that would be quite Houlian.

Freddie

Actually, it's CJ Wileyan -- choose from a number of points spaced across the CB and aim one of them at the center or an edge of the OB.

JC

Coos Cues
What?

So what's the time reference on having tried/practiced all possible shots? You apparently have a number in mind so go ahead and tell us what it is.

Well let's see now.........Oh I have it! An afternoon of playing the ghost should cover it. There's only about 8-12 different cut angles possible for potting total when you take pocket size compared to ball size into consideration.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Well let's see now.........Oh I have it! An afternoon of playing the ghost should cover it. There's only about 8-12 different cut angles possible for potting total when you take pocket size compared to ball size into consideration.

You had better check with Professor Johnson. I think he posted one time that there are 27 different cut angles for a spot shot.

So you think that one afternoon playing the ghost is enough to learn all possible shots?

I think we can end the conversation between us right there if that's what you truly believe. Or we can get two beginners and train them for an afternoon, your's plays the ghost with no instruction and mine gets coached by me. Then we let them play and you and I bet a lot of money on the outcome.

So far I haven't seen anyone even pipe up with a NO BET because all of you know when the chips are down I am right and have the mortal nuts.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
metmot:There's only about 8-12 different cut angles possible for potting total when you take pocket size compared to ball size into consideration.
John:
You had better check with Professor Johnson. I think he posted one time that there are 27 different cut angles for a spot shot.
25 for a 4.5 inch corner pocket - trivial to prove.

12 cut angles is enough if the OB is only 18 inches from the pocket. If it's 6 feet away you need 50. No way 8-12 cut angles covers more than a fraction (probably a pretty small fraction) of all shots on the table.

pj
chgo

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The one who misses more gets tased.

LMAO.

John, of all the wacky bets, over all the years, that I've heard you throw out there when you can't convince someone you're right (dammit) through basic, simple logic, this one *takes the cake.*

Lou Figueroa
try logical thought
it'll hurt less :)

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
LMAO.

John, of all the wacky bets, over all the years, that I've heard you throw out there when you can't convince someone you're right (dammit) through basic, simple logic, this one *takes the cake.*

Lou Figueroa
try logical thought
it'll hurt less :)

Ok, logical thought. You can't play that great but you put in a ton of time to get to whatever level you are at and it upsets you that there might be some other way to learn to aim than the trial-and-error method you had to use. So you spend your time knocking the methods that offer alternatives and knocking the people that teach them.

But yet you are not sure of your position enough to bet on it, with either money, silly activities, time off the forum or tasering.

Me, on the other hand proposes easy experiments and will bet money and even tasering on my conviction. Why?

Well because in this situation I have the nuts. That's why none of you nits will bet anything. Simple logic really.

JC

Coos Cues
Would you be willing to let someone you care about use your method? Say a complete beginner.

You get an hour to teach them how to aim and I get an hour as well. Then after one hour we let them each shoot ten random shots with five tries each.

The one who misses more gets tazed. That way our own respective experiences are not part of it. We take fresh students who don't know anything and test on them.

Or better yet, the teachers get tazed. So whichever student performs worse for each shot gets their teacher tased.

Want to take that bet?

You really have a freak side to you John!! I think you secretly want to be tazed around and about your testicles and anus region and this is how you plan to achieve your fantasy. Why don't you just go ahead and do it and put it up on you tube for everyone to enjoy?:lol:

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, logical thought. You can't play that great but you put in a ton of time to get to whatever level you are at and it upsets you that there might be some other way to learn to aim than the trial-and-error method you had to use. So you spend your time knocking the methods that offer alternatives and knocking the people that teach them.

But yet you are not sure of your position enough to bet on it, with either money, silly activities, time off the forum or tasering.

Me, on the other hand proposes easy experiments and will bet money and even tasering on my conviction. Why?

Well because in this situation I have the nuts. That's why none of you nits will bet anything. Simple logic really.

I play by feel, and will bet something!

Status
Not open for further replies.