Air Strickland? Here's a one-minute video treat that introduces you to "Air Jayson" on an aerial bombing mission :)

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This vid consistently brings me one-minute of admiring pleasure a couple times every year since 2015.
And at every sitting, I re-play it three or four times for the sheer 14.1 beauty, inventiveness, and power-stroking/problem solving of it:

What Jayson made out of near-zero angle -- and the impossibly beautiful spread he got -- is quite amazing and a sheer delight to see.
The renowned "pleasures of small motions" indeed. (The clip is first at normal speed then at 1/8 slo-mo.)

I recently sent it to Bobby C and he so-accurately commented: "With that nothing-angle to be that accurate with such a pop stroke to send the cue ball so airborne is incredible."

Btw, you'll enjoy watching the entire 59-minute, 227-ball run as linked in the video's description:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oYgBw2aRgY&t=0s
(The "Airborne Shot" happens at the 14:30 point of the full run, then you can see how he ran from there.)

(courtesy of Dennis Walsh) and you'll see that seven years ago all of Jayson's 714 skills were already in place, then every element fully instinctive by 2022.

Enjoy.

Arnaldo

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Great stuff, thanks for sharing.

FYI, while warming up for the Dragon 14.1 event on Sunday, 8/18/2013, Jayson Shaw, who was pretty inexperienced at straight pool at that point, ran 276. That's nine years ago, and he's been running balls ever since.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great stuff, thanks for sharing.

FYI, while warming up for the Dragon 14.1 event on Sunday, 8/18/2013, Jayson Shaw, who was pretty inexperienced at straight pool at that point, ran 276. That's nine years ago, and he's been running balls ever since.
Thanks for that info, Stu. What a remarkable learning curve. He's truly born for the game.

Arnaldo

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have to watch this about a dozen times in order to see and understand what the OP is saying.
If there was a camera overhead it would be easier to get.
BTW just repeat the real motion. You'll get it.

Last edited:

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have to watch this about a dozen times in order to see and understand what the OP is saying.
If there was a camera overhead it would be easier to get.
BTW just repeat the real motion. You'll get it.
Stu (SJM) grasped it all immediately, as did Bobby C, and Dennis Walsh himself, but observers/readers are differently experienced as always -- no matter what the topic or offering may be.

Your hypothesized overhead camera would be the least contributory addition to the enjoyment of Jason's beautiful ultra-amped up, over, and down CB arc. Also the near zero-ness (new coinage) of the shallow break angle is easily estimated by lifelong 14.1-playing observers.

Arnaldo ~ We try. Sometimes I never do grasp the point of the bulk of today's movies.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also the near zero-ness (new coinage) of the shallow break angle is easily estimated by lifelong 14.1-playing observers.
THIS is why I thought an over the table camera would help to witness the extreme.
Most don't know the edges of extreme.

The Camera angle didn't ACCURATELY show how straight in that shot was!!!

I'm certainly not a 14:1 player. I can't even pocket balls reliably. So don't listen to me.

The CB action was incredible!!

Last edited:

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
THIS is why I thought an over the table camera would help to witness the extreme.
Most don't know the edges of extreme.
We're here to please, 3kushn. I just finished a chat with Canon camera's customer service.
Per your request they've done an early release of their Model FU invisible, time travel-able, self-installing pool table camera.

It's on its way to the head string end of the 2015 pool table in the video and the resulting new footage will be in my email inbox by the coming Tuesday, latest, and I'll post it here on this thread.

They're not sure whether the invisible Beta model will or won't won't produce invisible footage. So, if some of us can see the footage and you can't, don't fret, because next week we're having a special on tin foil, one-size-fits-all hats for $9.99 each and free shipping. (PayPal only)

. . . but wait, if you call our operator within the next 24 hours, we'll send you two hats. (Pay shipping and handling only, on the second one.)

Our tin foil hats are guaranteed to enable any buyer to see invisible footage, and much, much, more. Just sent one to a Mr. Manson presently in a state housing complex and he's quite pleased with his.

Arnaldo

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
whew, thanks for sharing- powerful shot.
literally, how'd he hit it tho? his cue looks pretty level..it doesn't look like the cb hopped much on the way to the ob..did it?
maybe he's cheating the pocket, which would help him get a little angle, but how does the cb jump up after contact?

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
whew, thanks for sharing- powerful shot.
literally, how'd he hit it tho? his cue looks pretty level..it doesn't look like the cb hopped much on the way to the ob..did it?
maybe he's cheating the pocket, which would help him get a little angle, but how does the cb jump up after contact?

cue isn't level at the point of contact. in the slo-mo you can see that the cue tip comes downward and that the cb hops. i think it bounces before the ob and that is what causes the jump into the pack but not sure. is there a dr dave video on funky straight pool breaks?

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
This vid consistently brings me one-minute of admiring pleasure a couple times every year since 2015.
And at every sitting, I re-play it three or four times for the sheer 14.1 beauty, inventiveness, and power-stroking/problem solving of it:

What Jayson made out of near-zero angle -- and the impossibly beautiful spread he got -- is quite amazing and a sheer delight to see.
The renowned "pleasures of small motions" indeed. (The clip is first at normal speed then at 1/8 slo-mo.)

I recently sent it to Bobby C and he so-accurately commented: "With that nothing-angle to be that accurate with such a pop stroke to send the cue ball so airborne is incredible."

Btw, you'll enjoy watching the entire 59-minute, 227-ball run as linked in the video's description:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oYgBw2aRgY&t=0s
(The "Airborne Shot" happens at the 14:30 point of the full run, then you can see how he ran from there.)

(courtesy of Dennis Walsh) and you'll see that seven years ago all of Jayson's 714 skills were already in place, then every element fully instinctive by 2022.

Enjoy.

Arnaldo
Wonder how hi Jayson himself is gonna jump when he breaks 1,000 ball high run. In his own words he said it's coming soon stay tuned.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cue isn't level at the point of contact. in the slo-mo you can see that the cue tip comes downward and that the cb hops. i think it bounces before the ob and that is what causes the jump into the pack but not sure. is there a dr dave video on funky straight pool breaks?
You've got it skogs. For maximum verification that the tip not only comes downward (which could happen with a level stroke if the hand bridge micro-lowered):

-- if any viewer rewardingly elects to click on the "Watch on Youtube" option, and then begins to scrutinize within the slo-mo at about the 21-second point with very rapid start-pause alternating clicks, a frozen point 23-second frame clearly reveals not only a lowered tip, but the cue's radically raised back end . . . evidenced by the sudden, clearly out-of-level angularity between the shaft and its shadow on the table fabric.

All of this exciting-to-see aerial phenomenon resulting from Jayson's arm/subconscious instinctive grasp, understanding, and control of the physics involved to produce any given result.

Point zero of any given JS's (this man, not the trust-diminished one) hyper-long run attempt, doesn't know what's in store for it -- to our eventual delight.

Arnaldo