Alignment with english

magicrat69210

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Obviously I align center ball and down the cue on center ball shots......I place my cue dorectly under my right eye and i think im pretty good at seeing center cue ball judging by practicing long and straight in.......i make a high percentage and the cue ball stops dead with no spin.....My question is when aligning with english should i be on center cue ball or still aiming down the cue??? Thanks in advance guys

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not an instructor and would like to hear what they have to say.
I have my way of placing the cue tip on the QB for spin.

:groucho:

John

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Are you using Front Hand, Back Hand, a combination of both, or what some term as Parallel english.

I think it makes a difference but also depends on how the individual perceives what is actually happening & even if there is a bit of denial in there.

If you can answer my question, I think you will get better answers & I would suggest paying special attention should Fran Crimi reply.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Obviously I align center ball and down the cue on center ball shots......I place my cue dorectly under my right eye and i think im pretty good at seeing center cue ball judging by practicing long and straight in.......i make a high percentage and the cue ball stops dead with no spin.....My question is when aligning with english should i be on center cue ball or still aiming down the cue??? Thanks in advance guys
For side spin shots, the cue stick has to be on a line that compensates for squirt, swerve and throw. Do you understand each of those factors already?

magicrat69210

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For side spin shots, the cue stick has to be on a line that compensates for squirt, swerve and throw. Do you understand each of those factors already?

Yes Im a B plater on a good day:grin:..... And i use backhand english.......I do not make any compensations for squirt throw or swerve anymore consciously and i pocket balls pretty well.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To add to what Bob Jewett posted, you have to set your reference line first, which would be to line the shot up as you would without English. Then you can make your aim adjustments from there. It may seem obvious, but you'd be surprised at how many players set their cue down at the side of the cue ball without finding a reference line first.

magicrat69210

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To add to what Bob Jewett posted, you have to set your reference line first, which would be to line the shot up as you would without English. Then you can make your aim adjustments from there. It may seem obvious, but you'd be surprised at how many players set their cue down at the side of the cue ball without finding a reference line first.
hey watch it man......I am one of those players!!!:D
OK ill try starting off with center but when i use the english should i be looking down the cue or down center cue ball??

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK ill try starting off with center but when i use the english should i be looking down the cue or down center cue ball??

:D:D:D

For me, once I have my reference line, then I figure out my adjustment. From that point on, I'm aiming the tip of the cue stick at the side of the cue ball, to an adjusted point on the object ball. The cue ball won't actually hit that point, it's just for aiming purposes --- and that's where I look when I shoot.

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It depends, (doesn't eveything)

As others commented, it depends. With front or back hand English you sight center ball, move your cue to an angle but do not follow it with your eyes. The sight line remains as it was (probably center ball, unless you use an aiming system that says otherwise). But in Parallel shifting you keep the cue straight, move the entire cue off center, parallel to the original line then sight down that line and change your aim point a little to allow for "all of the above". At least that is how it was taught to me. Others may have a different idea.

At the highest level of professional play I am told the player "drops down into the shot already anticipating all the variables and does not align then shift". Since that isn't me I would not know about that. You might ask Efren. :smile: