Alternative to Calcutta

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have always liked this as an alternative.
You take the bracket and number everything 1- however many players.
Before the draw you auction off spots or set a price $20 per spot, $50 per spot, etc.
You pay out based whoever gets on that number and if they finish in the paid spots.
Doesn’t sound much different than a Calcutta.

middleofnowhere

Registered
I have been working on something and wanted some opinions on whether or not its legal and if it might get interests. I was thinking a Chance Auction Raffle. Essentially every participant in the Tournament has a Bucket and people but raffle tickets to place into those buckets. If you want a higher chance at winning someone you put more tickets in that persons bucket. Before the tournament begins a ticket is drawn from each bucket and then that person that wins that raffle will get money back depending on how that player finishes. Also we would count the amount of money earned in each bucket and that player could purchase back half his action for putting half the amount of their bucket into the raffle prize pool. We would have a minimum amount for each bucket.
Does this place have a beverage license, if so you're really risking a lot just to play some stupid game.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I have been working on something and wanted some opinions on whether or not its legal and if it might get interests. I was thinking a Chance Auction Raffle. Essentially every participant in the Tournament has a Bucket and people but raffle tickets to place into those buckets. If you want a higher chance at winning someone you put more tickets in that persons bucket. Before the tournament begins a ticket is drawn from each bucket and then that person that wins that raffle will get money back depending on how that player finishes. Also we would count the amount of money earned in each bucket and that player could purchase back half his action for putting half the amount of their bucket into the raffle prize pool. We would have a minimum amount for each bucket.

I don't know Indiana law, but in some states you might have more options operating as a private club as opposed to a public accomodation (a bar open to the general public).

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Can you do one of those random card games ? You buy a card that is face down with the players name on it. Once all cards are bought, they are flipped. You find out who you bought. If your card/player wins you get the pot or split 2 or 3 ways.

Not sure if this still breaks your gambling laws. We do a version of this at stag and does.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Think as your Pool Room
Is already on radar, maybe talk to game Enforcement about Legal Options is the waste proceed.

Side Pot is better then nothing.🤫

IbeAnEngineer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go see an attorney in your area that is familiar/specializes with the applicable laws to your situation, and ask them if you are in violation.
Depending on what they say, you can get guidance on what you want to do. That law enforcement agent may or may not be interpreting the law/regulations properly. Or they may be totally correct and did you a favor by warning you first.