Silver Member
Am I too much of a purist???

How about this pic.
DSC00544-1.jpg

Done cnc, pantograph.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
This thread was not intended to point out particular cuemakers and their cues. But to stay on topic, I'll use a few cuemakers I am familiar with. One Jamie knows because he buy's his cues.

David Kikel - Cues have rounded point tips, so rounded inlays would be expected. It's about flow, sharp inlays in his cues would look out of place.

Old Schon, New Schon and the tweeners.. Their first catalog cues, R series, had points and sharp inlays.. their later cues, had rounded points and rounded inlays. But they did have a few cues late in the R series that were pointed and had cnc inlays. Clearly when they were new to CNC. Those cues look stupid, IMHO. I don't even take them in on trade. I would consider an early R series and that's it.

Skip - Early on he was a pro-radius inlayer. But I asked him to become more traditional with sharp inlays while using ivory, and he did a few very nice cues for us. Now most his orders, are for sharp inlays, not the rounded versions. But the problem I had was the cues were all sharp pointed and the inlays were rounded.

Believe me, when you have these cues on the table, it's very apparent from an aesthetic standpoint, which cues my customer base will immediately go for. I'll tell you another thing, when you don't point a diamond, Pechauer, Joss, Schon, anyone of those cuemakers could have done that inlay. It looks production, for me that is a major detraction.

JV (---again, to reiterate, IMHO

Tony Zinzola

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How About This One

This was cut today. This is only a test piece for a cue I'm working on. I'm not 100% satisfied with the notches yet, but this was a test piece. This was put in the ebony with no glue, sanded down and wiped off with alcohol. It fit in the pocket so tight, I needed a hammer to get it in.

I'd of spent more time cleaning up the notches, but it was getting late. The one issue I have with going in and cleaning the notches by hand is that they may not all be identical when finished.

08-02-08-001.jpg

Worminator

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As far as my cues here are the answers IMO...

1. Gina - slightly rounded IMO
2. Haley - razor sharp
3. Schick - razor sharp
4. Kikel - slightly rounded
5. Nitti - razor sharp

Kikel uses the smallest radiused cutter he can on his panto and I am completely fine with the radius in his work. His inlays are as clean as anyone in the business. Wait till you seeing the cue he is building for me now.

Steve - Those inlays look fantastic to me.

Tony - The work in that inlay is very good IMO. Who came up with that design? ;)

classiccues

Silver Member
Tony Zinzola said:
This was cut today. This is only a test piece for a cue I'm working on. I'm not 100% satisfied with the notches yet, but this was a test piece. This was put in the ebony with no glue, sanded down and wiped off with alcohol. It fit in the pocket so tight, I needed a hammer to get it in.

I'd of spent more time cleaning up the notches, but it was getting late. The one issue I have with going in and cleaning the notches by hand is that they may not all be identical when finished.

08-02-08-001.jpg

Tony nice inlay.. I have quite an assortment in my cad program that are predicated off of the slotted diamond.

JV

Tony Zinzola

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
classiccues said:
Tony nice inlay.. I have quite an assortment in my cad program that are predicated off of the slotted diamond.

JV

Thanks. Don't send them to me. I won't even look at them. I try to keep my designs as my own. Obviously, diamonds and such will always be in cues. This and the other design that will end up in the cue were both designed by Jamie. I drew them up in the CAD program.

In my opinion, if you need somebody else to do your work for you, you might as well have them build the cue too.

classiccues

Silver Member
Tony Zinzola said:
Thanks. Don't send them to me. I won't even look at them. I try to keep my designs as my own. Obviously, diamonds and such will always be in cues. This and the other design that will end up in the cue were both designed by Jamie. I drew them up in the CAD program.

In my opinion, if you need somebody else to do your work for you, you might as well have them build the cue too.

Tony,
That is what being a custom cuemaker is all about. You get a customer and he wants an inlay that he designed, I don't know how you would or could say no. Custom cuemaker.. the word in front of cuemaker is very important. It is what separates you from the others.

skip_butt2_hi.jpg

Here is designed the inlay in the back of the propeller. It was built for me by Skip Weston. But it is custom, and someone with my experience likes doing inlays and thing like that. I laid out most the cue, heck it's my money why should I not get what I want?

JV

Tony Zinzola

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the design.

What I'm saying is that if I can't program it, then I should learn. I'm not saying the customer can't give me a drawing and I work off of it.

Before I got the CNC, I was told by a cuemaker who has helped me out more than I could ever repay him for that I could save money and just let him know what I wanted and he could help me with the G Codes. My answer was that I need to learn to do it myself.

I have sent a photo to somebody to help me with a CAD drawing. I'm not sure if he can do it either, but we'll see. I know I liked the design, but at this point, I don't think I can draw it in CAD myself. I will certainly give him credit if I get it into a cue.

As far as your notched diamond patterns (or diamonds, circles, boxes, etc.), things like that are quite simple to do in Bob Cad and if you can't do that, then you need to find another way of doing your inlays.

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
cueaddicts said:
I agree, too, Joe.....rounded inlay shapes that should and could be sharp is a quick way to ruin a good Titlist....and anything else for that matter imho. Don't know about your acronym, though....'BFT' makes me think of something else altogether.
I hate to see a nice custom cue with rounded inlays and I think It takes so much away from the cue.

Last edited: