Amirillo Slim

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CoolChicky said:
I just watched "Anything To Win", a program on Directv GSN 309. Anyways, it chronicled Amirillo Slim's gambling history which included a stint as a pool hustler. There was an interesting segment with Slim playing Fatty. It was entertaining. It's on again on Tuesday, 3/28/06 6:00pm.
http://www.gsn.com/specific_page_elements.php?link_id=S81

Hi coolchicky,
I watched him play one pocket with Effren Reyes in Dallas,TX in 1994 for 37,000 $.If my memory serves me well ,Efren gave him 11-4 race 4. Score was tied at 3-3.In the final game Efren beat him by one ball.It was held in CJ Wiley`s pool room.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
vagabond said:
Hi coolchicky,
I watched him play one pocket with Effren Reyes in Dallas,TX in 1994 for 37,000 $.If my memory serves me well ,Efren gave him 11-4 race 4. Score was tied at 3-3.In the final game Efren beat him by one ball.It was held in CJ Wiley`s pool room.

I was there too. More like 15-4.

CoolChicky

Registered
Apparently, Slim played Fats in NY when he got out of the service. He lost but Fatty knew that Slim had more money so he followed him home to Texas. They matched up again with Slim using a broom stick at 8 to 4. Slim busted him.

breakup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wasn’t he the guy that would bet he could drive a golf ball a mile?

...or was it Titanic Thompson?:confused:

jnav447

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
breakup said:
Wasn’t he the guy that would bet he could drive a golf ball a mile?

...or was it Titanic Thompson?:confused:
That was Titanic Thompson. He was probably the best proposition bet gambler of all time; he never lost cuz he always had things set up in advance. He was a human 3-card monte game. I was raised about 100 miles from Amarillo and played Slim a couple of times in the early 60's. He played pretty good pool back then (he finished in the money in the '64 Johnston City All-Around, ahead of Ronnie Allen and Junior Goff, listed as T. A. Preston), but poker was his first love and where the money was even then. He used pool as a way to find out who had the real money, then he would talk them into a little friendly game of hold 'em. A real Texas good ole boy.
Thanks for the heads-up; this GSN channel is starting to get some pretty interesting stuff ("High Stakes Poker", where they film the "big game" with the world's best cash players, is the best poker show on TV IMO).

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
Hi coolchicky,

I think after Efren won that match up, Amarillo came to Hard Times to play Efren 17-5. I saw that match up. Amarillo sure was entertaining. I don't know who came out ahead, I left at around 3 a.m. I think they were playing for 1700 a game.

ghost ball

McKinneyMiner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Years ago I heard a good Titanic Thompson story. With most of the stories about Titanic you can say that you heard them about a number of big time gamblers and in a number of places all over the country.

This one I had never heard before and haven't heard since...

Supposedly Titanic Thompson bet a guy that he could throw a watermelon onto the roof of a two-story building from the ground level.

After the bet was made Titanic got a baby watermelon (about the size of a softball) and chucked it onto the roof and collected his money.

As with most gambling stories it might be too good to be true, but I only heard it the one time which makes it somewhat unique in gambling lore.