Amway 2013

Aten

m8
Silver Member
Happening right now in Taipei, lots of big names and strong players at the event... http://sport.videoland.com.tw/event/13amway/player.asp

No real surprises yet except for maybe Jennifer Barretta winning her opener against Zhou Dou-Dou (a really strong Chinese player).

Anyways should be a pretty interesting tournament, thoughts/comments/predictions?

EDIT: Karen Corr lost her first game to a relatively unknown player, another upset imho ;o

Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Happening right now in Taipei, lots of big names and strong players at the event... http://sport.videoland.com.tw/event/13amway/player.asp

No real surprises yet except for maybe Jennifer Barretta winning her opener against Zhou Dou-Dou (a really strong Chinese player).

Anyways should be a pretty interesting tournament, thoughts/comments/predictions?

EDIT: Karen Corr lost her first game to a relatively unknown player, another upset imho ;o

Its in chinese. Which do I click on for the stream? Thank you. Johnnyt

GADawg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Zhou Dou Dou is a strong player but still young and only got into the Amway as a qualifier.

About a year ago, I played regularly in the room in Shanghai where she practiced against the Taiwan male pros. Nice young lady but still needs to go a ways to be in the top tier of Chinese lady players.

I haven't found a stream but several of Thursday's matches are up on Youtube

Aten

m8
Silver Member
I haven't found a stream either, however yes some matches have been uploaded to Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfgxsAPfaR0tBKlAT1gjmlA5Yc6yzsC6p&feature=g-high-u

Interestingly enough though, most of the players who got in via qualifiers are doing quite well thus far (Han Yu is 3-0 with +19 racks and Hung Meng-Hsia is 3-0 with +14 racks, two other Taiwanese players are 2-0 and all the other qualifiers are 2-1)

Here's a summary of some big name players:

Group A
Chieh-Yu Chou - Won the Amway last year, 2-0 so far with a +12 record... she's in good shape, but had some sloppy moments against Ine Helvik yesterday
Chihiro Kawahara - Strong Japanese player, got in via qualifiers, 2-1 with +4 so far

Group B
You-Ram Cha - 2-0 with +9, the most interesting match in her group should be vs Allison Fisher
Allison Fisher - 2-0 with +10, both her and Cha look to be set for the playoff stage (24 players) but they will be fighting for the first spot in the group to secure a seat in the Top 16
Szu-Ting Kuo - A young upcoming Taiwanese player who stunned the TW pool scene when she won last year's VL Women's Pro Tour Year-End Final... unfortunately, she's showing some nerves at the Amway and is 0-2 so far with -12. She still has a chance to advance but needs to crush her remaining two opponents (one of them being Allison Fisher...)

Group C
XTP - 2-0 with +10, XTP has a commanding lead in Group C and is likely set for the Top 16. She's playing fantastic right now.
Zhou Dou-Dou - 2-1 with a breakeven rack score, she is almost guaranteed an advancement as long as she doesn't lose 7-0 to XTP

Group D
Kelly Fisher - 2-0 with +11, no surprises here. Her group isn't all that strong, should be a clean Top 16 advancement for her

Group E
Jasmin Ouschan - 2-0 with +6, hit a couple speedbumps against Furberg last night but managed to eke out the 7-5 win. She is guaranteed a spot in the Top 24, but needs to really put a hamper on Han Yu if she wants to get into the 16s
Han Yu - Best performance in the Amway thus far, 3-0 with +19 having given up only 2 racks in total.

Group F
Tzu-Chien Wei - 2-0 with +5, 2nd place in the group so far, should be a shoo-in for the top 24
Meng-Hsia Hung - 3-0 with +14, playing incredible right now and showing steel nerves for a relatively inexperienced player. She showed the same poise and composure during VL Women's Pro Tour last year as well. Guaranteed a spot in the top 24, will likely be fighting Wei for the top 16
Karen Corr - Slow start this year going 0-2 with -6, she has to beat Wei to advance

Group G
Si-Ming Chen - Lost her first match 2-7 at the hands of Monica Webb, but still has a chance to redeem herself. Group G is IMHO the toughest group at Amway this year though, so Chen may be at risk of early elimination... she can't slip up anymore.
Monica Webb - 1-1 with +4, also walking a bit of a fine line in this group
Hsiao-Chi Lin - WTF 2-0 with +8 and showing again just how strong the qualifiers this year were, likely guaranteed a spot in the top 24
Yuan-Chun Lin - Kind of well known in Taiwan for her inconsistency... 1-0 with +4 so far, she can't lose focus at all during this groupstage because everyone in her group can absolutely punish her. If she brings her A-game though, she can definitely get ahead with a huge +/- score and snag the #1... but she is just as likely to choke and end up eliminated, so I guess only time will tell.

Group H
Ga-Young Kim - Crowd favourite, 1-0 so far with a clean +7... should be set for the top 24 but will need to fight Fu for the top 16. I think she's much stronger than Fu at the moment though so I gotta say GY is looking great for the #1 spot in her group.
Xiao-Fang Fu - Another well known Chinese player, 1-0 with +2 is set for the top 24. Key match will be against GY
Zhu-Ting Wu - Youngest player at Amway this year AFAIK (she's only 15 or 16 iirc), showed some great mechanics and knowledge of the game throughout last year's VL pro tour. Her first time at Amway but she's handling nerves decently, 2-0 so far with some close victories at +3. I think she's set for top 24 but the key match for her will also be against GY, the pressure will be on for young Wu but maybe she'll surprise everyone?

Good luck to all the competitors!