Anatomy of a Pool Hustler (Dale Shaw - 1961)

buckets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
George Fels mentions this article numerous times in his writing, but I could never find a copy online.

Turns out my local library both a) has a copy of an old anthology of sports articles in which "Anatomy of a Pool Hustler" is reprinted and b) has a book scanner that all members can use for free!

So I scanned it to read myself, and thought I'd share.

http://imgur.com/a/Mfc4A

Enjoy!

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The iatola of one hola
Te red rocket of one pocket

I miss ole Red

I played him for the first time in san antonia

he gave me 3 pockets to his one

later he beat me with 3 hit and the pick
by then we had become friends

i miss Red,he was 1 of a kind

I would like a copy of this article
and any others if you guys see any
contact me
Dean
214 477 7323

buckets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The iatola of one hola

I miss ole Red

contact me
Dean
214 477 7323

https://www.amazon.com/Grantland-Award-Prize-Sports-Stories/dp/B000FLSA5Q

You can buy the book here if you'd like. I'm not much for general sports stories, but if they're all as well-written as Anatomy then I'm sure it's a good read.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Red liked to talk while taking it down.....
"I'm so unlucky, if I bought a graveyard, people'd stop dyin'."

:lol:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
George Fels mentions this article numerous times in his writing, but I could never find a copy online.

Turns out my local library both a) has a copy of an old anthology of sports articles in which "Anatomy of a Pool Hustler" is reprinted and b) has a book scanner that all members can use for free!

So I scanned it to read myself, and thought I'd share.

http://imgur.com/a/Mfc4A

Enjoy!

very enjoyable read
thanks for the link

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The iatola of one hola

I miss ole Red

contact me
Dean
214 477 7323

met him first as a kid at Cotton Bowling Palace in 63 or 64. Could not believe how he talked and shot at the same time. That weekend he played and beat U.J. and Squirrel from Pasadena(Baytown?), a young player who shot really good.

Years passed and, in the late 80's, early 90's, I ran into him in some pool halls in Houston. Played him in short race tournaments-won one, lost one. Never in his league, though but it was great to be around him and hear the stories.

In 90, my brother-in-law and I opened Big Daddy's, a pool hall in Alvin. He stopped in and visited on several occasions. I bought a George cue case from him. Still have it. He might of just bought it the day before but it was and is special to me. Still have it.

Later bought one of his One Pocket books and he signed it. By the time he contracted cancer, I was building cues. They held a benefit at Legends and many folks participated and a lot of us donated auction items. I built a $1000 cue for the winner of an auction for the cue. When it was finished, Dottie presented the cue to the winner as Red had passed away. Still have some photos of her, the cue, and the winner, somewhere.

I attended his funeral. Many folks there and, at graveside, Jeremy Jones gave a great eulogy about Red, his mentor.

I still think about Red and will always remember that great grin of his.