Another observation: PSR

dquarasr

Registered
Sounds like your fundamentals are inconsistent. You play great one day and and it's shite the next. Probably need to work on consistency till it's free flowing and automatic. Sounds like months of reputation to me.
I believe I am progressing. I am probably prone to hyperbole, but I am shooting better than I was 3-6 months ago. I'm pretty sure that overall, my highs and lows have "moved right"; my performance lowest lows and highest highs are better and closer together than they were.

That said, yes, I do continue to work on my fundamentals. But I'm to the point where I've noticed that as long as I can remain focused and relaxed, I play pretty well. Previously, I had definite alignment, stance, and stroke flaws. I have (mostly) overcome these, such that my plateau these days is more related to my pace and mental approach than physical issues.

dquarasr

Registered
New update: I'll try to keep this short but I'm sure I'll fail miserably. :)

TLDR: OP may have found his holy grail of repeatable, unconscious performance using relaxation and rhythm and timing. OP needs to figure out how to maintain this throughout all racks in a match.

In the last couple of weeks or so I have discovered something about my ability to execute. It's subtle but it has made an incredible difference in my accuracy.

In line with what many of the posts in this thread have emphasized, conscious v unconscious execution is indeed a thing. Here's what I've discovered about my particular ability to "summon" my best game:

Stand behind the shot, face square and plan the speed and CB address point for sinking the OB and getting shape.
Step into the shot, without obsessing about foot placement; just let it happen. *
Confirm cue alignment (call it "aim"?) This can take me 3-5 seconds, eyes between CB and OB a few times. Settle eyes on CB tip contact point. While doing this, perform one or two (usually one) full-length practice strokes, using the stroke length required for the speed of the shot.
Raise eyes to OB. This is the important part: Brief pause, maybe about a second. Don't think. Feather twice, about 1" strokes. Backstroke, barely imperceptible pause at the backstroke, shoot. **

My observations:
* While I try to avoid inconsistencies. I've noticed that I can sometimes be a little off with foot placement, yet still make the shot. As long as it feels about right, it's OK. I think it's more about allowing the subconscious adjust as long as I don't think about it.
** If for any reason I don't have the discipline to follow "Feather, feather, backstroke, short pause, shoot" and think about "feather, feather, backstroke, pause, shoot", where maybe the feathers are 2" instead of 1", or the pause is 1 second instead of an unthinking sub-second pause, the chances of me missing are MUCH higher. I've also noticed that this "feather, feather, backstroke, short pause, shoot" has a definite rhythm and cadence. If it's a certain cadence, I'm gold. If for any reason I deviate, results are inconsistent.

I've also noticed that doing this allows me to trust the shot, and I tend to refrain from squeezing the cue. What I am describing sounds a lot like I am over-analyzing this, and that I am making this process robotic, but when I apply the cadence naturally, it's very much NOT robotic. It's hard to describe, but there's a certain "it" feeling when I'm doing it right, and this allows me to do it right more often.

Last night I applied this during league. I performed well above average (APA SL 5/5). I even was able to run out a 9-ball rack from the 2-ball. and after being given a rack where my opponent ran to the 8-ball and gave me the table back, ran out that 8-ball rack.

I *think* this is what posters here have been trying to convey. Find a PSR, rhythm and cadence that works for you, remove the brain from the process, and let it happen. At least I hope so.

My homework, now, is to maintain this throughout a match. I need to figure out why, but my performance in a match is usually much better the first few racks, then starts to fall off. I think I get caught up in the match, and my relaxed state of mind diminishes, and I probably start thinking about things again without realizing it, and tighten up. Last night I had to grind out a 9-ball win 38-31 in a 38-46 race after leading 10-0 and 18-1 after two racks. Also, in 8-ball, I was up 2-0 in a 4-4 race, and ended up losing hill-hill 4-3. I think, though, that perpetuating my "formula" as described above will allow me to perform well throughout a match, not just in the first few racks.

As always, comments on my journey welcome.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
D, this is a special prescription for you, personally.

Shoot for 20 minutes holding the butt of the cue with the thumb and forefinger pads only--that is, forcing an ultralight clasp where no matter how hard you squeeze your hand, there's little cue squeezing. This will enhance your PSR process as you FEEL light clasping only. You can go back to a 3-4 grip (instead of 6-8) when you feel ready. Put differently, you will be challenged on each shot to get cue ball roll through proper mechanics rather than squeezing and "hitting" the stroke.

You will want to continue working on that SMOOTH, evenly paced stroke we discussed.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Step into the shot, without obsessing about foot placement; just let it happen. *
While I try to avoid inconsistencies. I've noticed that I can sometimes be a little off with foot placement, yet still make the shot. As long as it feels about right, it's OK. I think it's more about allowing the subconscious adjust as long as I don't think about it.
I get where you're coming from on this, as you can't be totally conscious of everything all the time, but try to be as exact as you can when the opportunity is there for a perfect stance, so through repetition, you can lock into the feeling of a perfect stance --- because it provides the feeling that you need of the relationship between your torso, your cue, and the line of the shot.

You will have to draw on that feeling when your stance gets compromised --- like when you're at certain areas of the table where your legs are restricted by the rails.

Last edited:

dquarasr

Registered
I get where you're coming from on this, as you can't be totally conscious of everything all the time, but try to be as exact as you can when the opportunity is there for a perfect stance, so through repetition, you can lock into the feeling of a perfect stance --- because it provides the feeling that you need of the relationship between your torso, your cue, and the line of the shot.

You will have to draw on that feeling when your stance gets compromised --- like when you're at certain areas of the table where your legs are restricted by the rails.
Thanks, Fran. At home I have a few shots set up with donuts, and sometimes I’ll just practice foot placement. I have a small dot on the floor marked with a sharpie pen representing where my back foot should go. I’ll set up the shot, align, step in (hopefully without too much fanfare and thought) and the look down to my reference dot. I sometimes don’t even shoot the shot, I just practice stepping in. After a few weeks of playing and getting my head out if it, I was surprised that I could consistently be less than an inch from my ideal placement without conscious thought.

I also have donuts on the shot line to check the cue alignment as well. I’m trying to bring this “automation” to the rest of my game. It’s coming.

dquarasr

Registered
D, this is a special prescription for you, personally.

Shoot for 20 minutes holding the butt of the cue with the thumb and forefinger pads only--that is, forcing an ultralight clasp where no matter how hard you squeeze your hand, there's little cue squeezing. This will enhance your PSR process as you FEEL light clasping only. You can go back to a 3-4 grip (instead of 6-8) when you feel ready. Put differently, you will be challenged on each shot to get cue ball roll through proper mechanics rather than squeezing and "hitting" the stroke.

You will want to continue working on that SMOOTH, evenly paced stroke we discussed.
OK, Matt, thanks. Yes, I recall our detailed conversation earlier this week. I appreciate the time you took with me. It's on my "list" of things to work on. In fact, it's at the top of the list.

BlueRaider

Registered
What a great thread with so much great insight.

OP, I'm in the same boat as you regarding all of this stuff.

When I start missing shots out of nowhere (especially shots where I felt like I did my entire PSR perfectly), it's easy for me to spiral and start second guessing everything, which in turn makes me lose all feel for the game.

So I try to focus on only three things now in terms of performance.

1. First, I don't let misses throw me for a loop. EVERYONE misses, I'm not 100% on any shot, ever. Misses never mean going back to the drawing board in terms of fundamentals.

2. I try to lock my head/eyes/chin on the shot line (chin lock, as Jerry Briesath calls it).

3. I try to keep a relaxed but secure grip on the cue.

Basically, I demand only 1 mental thing from myself and 2 physical things. Any more than that and I go crazy (even though I have a huge checklist of PSR stuff that I could focus on).

After a while, any concern over my grip vanishes because I'm relaxed due to playing well and being in the zone, and I quickly stop worrying about my head position, too.

Honestly, I might do well cutting out the chin lock thing from my conscious checklist, as I do it well anyway. But the grip thing seems to be something I have to ALWAYS keep in mind, because I have an unbelievably strong tendency to want to grip tight when I'm nervous or worried about a shot.

dquarasr

Registered
What a great thread with so much great insight.

OP, I'm in the same boat as you regarding all of this stuff.

When I start missing shots out of nowhere (especially shots where I felt like I did my entire PSR perfectly), it's easy for me to spiral and start second guessing everything, which in turn makes me lose all feel for the game.

So I try to focus on only three things now in terms of performance.

1. First, I don't let misses throw me for a loop. EVERYONE misses, I'm not 100% on any shot, ever. Misses never mean going back to the drawing board in terms of fundamentals.

2. I try to lock my head/eyes/chin on the shot line (chin lock, as Jerry Briesath calls it).

3. I try to keep a relaxed but secure grip on the cue.

Basically, I demand only 1 mental thing from myself and 2 physical things. Any more than that and I go crazy (even though I have a huge checklist of PSR stuff that I could focus on).

After a while, any concern over my grip vanishes because I'm relaxed due to playing well and being in the zone, and I quickly stop worrying about my head position, too.

Honestly, I might do well cutting out the chin lock thing from my conscious checklist, as I do it well anyway. But the grip thing seems to be something I have to ALWAYS keep in mind, because I have an unbelievably strong tendency to want to grip tight when I'm nervous or worried about a shot.
Sounds as though we are and have been on similar paths and might be at the same level of progress. It’s a journey.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i am not an instructor
you (Dqasar) are at stage 3
given more time and proper practice you will move to stage 4
interested on feedback to this theory of learning
View attachment 669689
This
i am not an instructor
you (Dqasar) are at stage 3
given more time and proper practice you will move to stage 4
interested on feedback to this theory of learning
View attachment 669689
This dquarsar is the most important reply to help you through your progress. Let me give you an example: Teaching a child to catch a baseball rolling toward him/her.
Step 1. If the child had no experience with a ball bouncing toward him...he is unconscious and incompetent.
Step 2. You tell him to get in front of the ball as it comes to him, put his hands down under the ball, catch the ball and come up to throw it. ( Why get down under the ball? See below.) Now he knows what to do but can't do it yet. He is now conscious of what to do but can't do it. Incompetent.
Step 3. Throw the ball at him many times so he is able to do it. He keeps thinking how to do it and is proficient. He now is conscious and competent.

Is this where he needs to be??? Or you need to be in your progress. NO.

Step 4. Practice, practice, practice, until you are unconscious and competent. Also called 'second nature'.

Ok, now why should he get under the ball? To stop the ball? Well yes, but the pro's do it because if they are under the ball they are coming up catching it and they do not have to change directions. This saves some precious time. Always think of ways to improve.

• Love
Reactions: bbb

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
I was checking on you, D:

This is the important part: Brief pause, maybe about a second.

Actually, "quiet eyes on the target should last two seconds or longer." That's the fruit of research on the subject. If you automate the backstroke as far as length, as we've discussed, then you can think "smooth" and the backstroke and forward stroke move toward subconscious execution.