Another Question...Is there any possible way to fix this discolorization in a shaft?

jlrowe

Billiards,Boxing & Babes
Silver Member
Could be due to sitting in a old cue rack with the black rubber holders or felt for years and the color has absorbed into the wood. Dont know. It is original shaft and straight so i dont want to replace it. Is there a way to restore it? Is there a way to bleach it or something?
PXL_20211201_051655200 (3).jpg

Last edited:

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I personally have never seen a cue rack where the plastic holder grabs that far up the shaft, nor leave a discoloration. Looks like a combo of accumulated dirt and maybe a sugar spot in the maple

jlrowe

Billiards,Boxing & Babes
Silver Member
I agree about the cue rack but dont think its sugar marks to black and the black mark on the top there are one on the other side like 180 degrees from it. The marks are actually little darker than what the pic shows. Almost like burn marks... might be mold in the wood. The cue was in a guys basement for 30 years. lol. Hard to say how the marks got there.

Last edited:

jlrowe

Billiards,Boxing & Babes
Silver Member
Well mmm....I found an interesting article on wood furniture restoration. The marks look very similar to the color on my shaft and it states that if the wood is in contact with metal and moisture the iron oxide in metal forms a reaction to tannins in the wood and turns it black. could be possibility maybe. Stated that furniture restorers used Oxalic acid to remove the black stains. And that Bar Keepers Friend contains Oxalic acid and will work just as well. Just make a paste and leave on for about 30 minutes until dried and wipe off.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
probably not.............. if it really bothers you that much........ buy a new shaft

Kim

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with Dave. Shaft cleaner, then magic eraser and denatured alcohol will make the shaft look a lot better. If you get it back to original condition is hard to say, but then again deep cleaning the shaft doesn't cost a fortune..

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
This is an interesting thread, and it motivated me (not a cuemaker but an occasional woodworker) to investigate. This article seems to have good information about bleaching / cleaning wood. I would be reluctant to use any of the techniques from this link on my good (Lambros, Tucker, PFD, Blackcreek, Bear etc.) shafts but maybe with some testing (on old house cues, I have dozens) good results can be had.

Dave

PS if folks think this is out of line please let me know and I will remove this post

jlrowe

Billiards,Boxing & Babes
Silver Member
This is an interesting thread, and it motivated me (not a cuemaker but an occasional woodworker) to investigate. This article seems to have good information about bleaching / cleaning wood. I would be reluctant to use any of the techniques from this link on my good (Lambros, Tucker, PFD, Blackcreek, Bear etc.) shafts but maybe with some testing (on old house cues, I have dozens) good results can be had.

Dave

PS if folks think this is out of line please let me know and I will remove this post
Yep, looks like it's going to be oxalic acid for me. States it does not affect the natural color unlike bleaches like peroxide or chlorine.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On my next day off I plan on doing a before and after on the results of using oxalic acid.
I look forward to seeing the results you get. I've worked on a lot of Palmers that sat in rough conditions. I wish you the best of luck.

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Could be due to sitting in a old cue rack with the black rubber holders or felt for years and the color has absorbed into the wood. Dont know. It is original shaft and straight so i dont want to replace it. Is there a way to restore it? Is there a way to bleach it or something?View attachment 618263
It would be put on a lathe & sanded, polished and refinished.