Another stacked leather wrap question

keninar

Registered
Follow-up question from a newbie- perhaps a silly one - regarding a stacked leather wrap.
Picked up some stacked leather wrap material and while researching the process, noticed the material has "finished" side and a "rough side".

What side goes against the cue? Gut feeling tells me the "rough" side to allow a surface for the glue to grip. However, I can see an alternate approach, given the finishing requirements.

So I thought I'd defer the the veterans again for guidance.
Again - the answer may be obvious, but apparently not to me.

Thanks again for the help and assistance from this group.

Ken

J$Cincy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had one done at the derby city classic once and I believe the finished side was against the cue ... rough side was up... because they sanded the shit out of it then burnished it like glass lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Serious question.
Never done a cue wrap of any type except rewound some linen cues in the 80’s.
I have made a couple stacked leather wraps on tools including a knife one of my nephews wanted to make when he stayed here as an early teen.
For a stacked tool or knife handle a punch is made to stamp a pile of oblong discs out of heavy leather also with the shank section punched out. Then the pile of discs is compressed onto the shank & the closing bolster forced on & riveted.

So for a tool/knife the exposed surface is actually edge grain. Which has a more uniform density for sanding to shape, & it wears better.
Is there any merit to wrapping edgewise on a cue?

smt

billsey

Registered
I would think that with the thin material we typically use on clues, stacking the leather sideways like that wouldn't be strong enough, you would end up with mealy bits coming off over time. Remember we're typically talking about only 0.025" or so thick. Now if you turned down that portion of the cue ten times as much then it might stay together, but would be a softer feel than most players want.

keninar

Registered
Thanks again for the guidance! Your input greatly appreciated!!

"So much to learn.....so little time!"

Ken