Another what is this vintage cue post..... burton spain looking forearm

Beebop21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any guesses what this is?

I read somewhere that Adam and a company called KPS made blanks modeled after Burtain Spain, is this one of those?

The points are not very even, ~ 1/4" variance. The wrap seems decent quality. There is a lot of bulging in the pearl rings.

I have ruled out most reputable builders from the period.......MAYBE Rich Q Corp out of New York? I have not been able to find anything that looks like this in their catalog images I can find.

Any other guesses? Some department store import line?

Thanks for any input.
43548353e2461a9173da9ac5f450affa.jpg
76e16a738bc67be9c465a04444da4107.jpg
0f12c6faa38fc2e7c7b28c517b5d95ac.jpg
ba828b35ec5d4527654049416499566f.jpg
2ad268cca6422ad7865691ce04741529.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Karl Mayer was from N.J. and I only saw a few of his cues but that has a Mayer look to it.
Could be an Asian import also but the pin should narrow it down.
Very well could be an early Adam cue.
I really have no good idea,but I like the cue.

Beebop21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Karl Mayer is interesting. I know nothing about his work beyond the high-level biographical info in the blue book, and there don't seem to be very many images of his cues online, considering how long he was doing it.

I crossed him off the list originally as the pin and buttcap seemed wrong, and because every one of his cues I had seen the shaft pilot was all metal.

Searching more, I did find one solid example of a Mayer cue with the same shaft pilot. It also seems consistent with Mayer that the cue was in a period-correct case branded by a Philadelphia company.

But the pin and buttcap still seem wrong: the pin I don't recollect seeing before on anything import or domestic, the pointed pins I recall seeing have been brass. And it's some odd thread....it's narrower diameter, .304". And the buttcap is flat-faced just screwed into wood.....not sure that's something Mayer would have ever done if coming out of the Paradise/Palmer tree.

I guess it's hard to view much as very definitive when these builders worked over the course of decades, in a period where they might use whatever components they could find. And maybe it's been worked on or had parts replaced...

Thanks all, I appreciate you taking the time to look it over and chime in.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That pointed pin screams Asian import to me. BTW, KPS is the company that makes Falcon,Bear and used to make a lot of Predator stuff before they left Canada.

Beebop21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry @ideologist .......by "spain looking" I was really just thinking of the black/orange/green/natural stack of veneers, and who would have made such blanks back then.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Sorry @ideologist .......by "spain looking" I was really just thinking of the black/orange/green/natural stack of veneers, and who would have made such blanks back then.

The Asian imports copied a lot of US cues. Brunswick style, Spain, whatever they could get their hands in to reverse engineer

Adam made blanks like this, so did Taiwan factories

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just noticed the aluminum pilot. I’d look at older National and Gandy catalogs. Or maybe an old AE Schmidt catalog.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Looks like Adam to me. Maybe made for some other private label company.